Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (blind_pete)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-09-2009, 11:08 AM Reply   
as an option for the new BU's, a heated drivers seat sounds interesting. if you have had it, what are your experiences with this option? how relyable was it? does it add that much to the experience? would you order it on your next boat?
Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-09-2009, 11:29 AM Reply   
Live in Texas would never need it.
Old     (peachman)      Join Date: May 2004       01-09-2009, 11:31 AM Reply   
Definitely add it. Makes for comfortable early morning skies... Trouble is, I can't get my bride out of the drivers seat. Even if you don't use it much, (which I think you will in the early and late season) it's a nice adder for re-sale.

My 2 pennies,
JT
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-09-2009, 11:35 AM Reply   
I had to test drive a boat in February and let me tell you, it made my morning much more enjoyable. It was about 40 degrees out.
The one thing I noticed is it is either on/off. There is no temp setting or at least I don't remember there being one.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-09-2009, 11:37 AM Reply   
Another silly gadget that I don't need...oh wait...now that I've used it...oh, it's sooooooo nice...I can never buy a boat without one now! :-)

I live in So Cal and even though it's warm most of the time, the heated driver's seat is just an added chunk of awesome for the early morning and late evening. Even while I'm idling and the heater is blowing cold air, I've still got the warmth of my seat. Damn you Malibu for introducing me to another feature that I never needed until I tried it!

It's also a great way to encourage others to drive if you want to take a break!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-09-2009, 11:41 AM Reply   
http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/seatheatac.html
You can add them to any seat in the boat if you want. Then the wife will never drive.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-09-2009, 11:41 AM Reply   
David,

can you confirm if it has a temp setting now or if its just on/off?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-09-2009, 11:47 AM Reply   
The boat im using this winter has it and I haven't used it once.... I turned it on just to see and didn't really feel it at all...
Its called a sweatshirt and sweatpants
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-09-2009, 11:50 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/255754.html
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-09-2009, 1:09 PM Reply   
It's just on/off on the Malibu. It certainly never gets so hot that you want to turn it down.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-09-2009, 1:11 PM Reply   
I have the heated drivers seat and passenger seat. I like them. they work good. I dind say great. I was thinking they were be as hot as the ones in my car but they are not. I guess because Car seats are larger the hear elemit is larger or somthing. I dont know what options you have but the 3 heat zone IMO is not needed what you use is ON or Off you dont need 3 temp zone's i guess the only down side is the 3 temp zone heaters some times go hotter than the one temp zone. How much does it cost for this option. I would say if its under $350 thne go for it.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-09-2009, 1:25 PM Reply   
I haven't had one but it will not help your resale at all. Just chock up $500 down the drain when selling. As far as I am concerned there are hardly any options that help your resale when comparing it to the price of the option.
Old    00wakesetter            01-09-2009, 1:31 PM Reply   
hahaha a heated seat in a boat? You guys are getting soft.
Old     (peachman)      Join Date: May 2004       01-09-2009, 1:35 PM Reply   
Polarbill,

What kind of boat do you have???

Take resale out of the equation if you want? If you ski early/late in the season the heated seat is very nice...

I will order it on my next new boat too...

JT
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-09-2009, 1:46 PM Reply   
I love the heated seat on a cold day. Even on a warm day it helps loosen up the lower back before a ride.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-09-2009, 1:47 PM Reply   
JT is gettin a new boat?

Bugaru, you hear that?
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-09-2009, 2:18 PM Reply   
I have a heated driver seat in my 90 prostar and LOVE IT! Perfect for those early mornings!

I can't believe its a $500 option from the factory though? I bought mine for $75 online and it cost me around $185 to have my drivers seat recovered with the heater inside. If I didn't need the seat recovered it would have most likely been cheaper.

Upload
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-09-2009, 2:20 PM Reply   
I have a 2000 Moomba. I live in Seattle. If money wasn't that big of a deal to me maybe I would order a boat with it. I am sure it would be nice but don't even consider the resale part of it. You might get 10 cents on a dollar for options like that.

It is just like getting the bigger engine, 4 tower speakers, swivel racks, shower, fiberglass platform, underwater lights, tower lights, bimini, depth finder, etc...

Get those options if you really want them and the money doesn't bother you but don't expect to get anywhere close to the money out of those options.

By the way. I am not sure how much the option is but I am guessing it is around $500. When I was selling Mastercrafts a couple years ago I think heated seats were almost a grand. That was for the driver and observers seat though.

(Message edited by polarbill on January 09, 2009)
Old     (peachman)      Join Date: May 2004       01-09-2009, 2:29 PM Reply   
Kinnison, I said nothing about buying a new boat now... I said if I when I order a new boat it will have it for sure. BTW, whatever I ate at that place today has had me on the pot twice since I returned!!

Polarbill, I hear what you are saying about resale and options, it's just one of those options that give some value add when trying to sell. Hell when trying to convince the wife I needed a new boat after telling her it would have a heated seat, she warmed (no pun intended) up to the idea! :-)

JT
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-09-2009, 2:48 PM Reply   
Do the seat heater and trust me no one wants to know about your BM's
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-09-2009, 6:58 PM Reply   
Kstatealumni-I bought the exact same heated seat set up. I just gotta get my seat recovered and have the incorporated. Gotta rummage up some money for the recovering.
Old     (blind_pete)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-10-2009, 2:59 PM Reply   
it was aprox $250. it sounds like a good thing for the if it loosens up your back. i ordered a pair of two outlet heaters and now will add the seat heat to it too.
Old     (nwarhol1105)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-11-2009, 4:19 PM Reply   
I have the hoody and sweat pants option in my boat, it is soooooo much warmer and reliable than the heated seat. It's a boat, not an Audi...living in MN with the coldest of weather, that sounds like the biggest waste of money! I would put that money in the gas tank.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-11-2009, 5:27 PM Reply   
When we ordered our 07 Enzo it was an option it was not that much but I was think why would I ever want that......The wife over rulled that and I am glad she did it is nice on those cold days!
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-12-2009, 8:28 AM Reply   
ghetto. worked for two years now, lol.

http://www.amazon.com/Wagan-IN9738-Heated-Seat-Cushion/dp/B000ANOUHQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=123177768 2&sr=8-1
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-12-2009, 9:52 AM Reply   
I agree it was costly but I had to have my seat recovered anyway as it was starting to get brittle and was eventually going to crack. Since I was already going to endure the cost of recovering whats another $75 for the heated seat?

Not sure I'd ever spring for the factory versions at $500 though...
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-12-2009, 9:55 AM Reply   
anybody with 1/2 a brain and a staple gun can do this add on yourself. Its pretty easy.Just take your seat out and take off the staples and install the elemet and re-staple your seat back together
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-12-2009, 10:47 AM Reply   
I just run hot water, continuously, into my dry suit until I look like Bib. It's just like riding in the Amazon but no gators.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-12-2009, 3:57 PM Reply   
I ride on the salt water. The dealer didn't recommend the heated seat for me. He knows I am really into relaibility and he wasn't confident that it would hold up to the elements.

I really like the idea. I ride a lot in cold water and the air temp is usually not that high either.
Old     (gregtay)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-12-2009, 8:58 PM Reply   
I think you have the "heater" confused with the heated seat. Correct... HeaterCraft heaters are not a good idea for salt water open cooling systems.. salt water eats out the heater core. The heated seat is entirely different... it uses electronic heat pads in the seat... so it has nothing to do with salt water.
Old     (csmsk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-13-2009, 3:41 PM Reply   
What if these heat pads get wet? Sometimes my seat cushions squeeze out some water. Is that not really an issue or what?
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-13-2009, 3:45 PM Reply   
I made sure to find one that was waterproof on the website I looked at cause I was concerned about that too!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-13-2009, 4:02 PM Reply   
I retract my previous post of the seat heat not working.... it had the switch but was not installed, that is why I felt nothing. Oops
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-14-2009, 8:17 AM Reply   
They actually sell two types of seat heaters. One is for vehicle applications, cars, trucks, whatever (My mom recently had one of these put in her saturn) and the other is almost identical except its got a plastic coating that makes it waterproof. Otherwise the switch, plugs, etc are all the same.
Old     (bradb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-14-2009, 8:57 PM Reply   
Anyone know if they sell a "bench seat" heater? Somthing that may be wide enough to cover my rear facing observer seat in my '94 ski nautique? (wide enough for 2 people) Or would I have to buy 2 kits to heat the bench seat?