Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-18-2008, 11:48 AM Reply   
Do you have a mannequin for those times you wanna board, but it's only you and your wife up that early?

living on a lake we find ourselfs in this situation often, or we wanna ride right after work, but no one else is around.

looking for any advice/experiences you have in getting this setup...

(e.g. where did you get it, what type, how did you secure it and make it look normal etc.)

(Message edited by tj_in_kc on September 18, 2008)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-18-2008, 11:51 AM Reply   
we've used a dress up blow up doll....little sand in the bottom keeps her put
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-18-2008, 11:57 AM Reply   
And why do you have a blow up doll?
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-18-2008, 12:23 PM Reply   
I hate it when it's all glassy and I can't find a third.Especially cause I board on a Great Lake and it not just rangers or watercraft officers,you also have police dept. boats and USCG out here.I also worry that if I or the other person gets injured badly it would be hard for just one person to help them.A person knocked out cold is like dead weight,very hard to deal with in water.I know it is legal with the proper size mirror in some states,or was not sure if it still is though.I just don't do it anymore.If something bad happened to someone while on my boat it would ruin the stoke for me.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-18-2008, 12:26 PM Reply   
its a man one...even worse, he looks like bert reynolds
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-18-2008, 12:28 PM Reply   
come on, Bill. You know, sometimes the lake gets chopped out and you still wanna ride. What's one of the nice things about a blow up doll? She never says no
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-18-2008, 12:29 PM Reply   
NICK - that is wrong!!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-18-2008, 12:42 PM Reply   
My GF and I had the same problem with needing a third. Went into the shop real quick to see what they had, asked "where are the blow up dolls" she gives me a weird look and says "sir, our inflatable companions are right over there"... I felt like a said the wrong word in a hippie-head shop. Since they were all $75 we decided against it and risked it. The best idea I have heard, other than a blow up doll (which I had heard of Nick's and was actually looking for a man one, weird) was to get the fake companions women can get to put in the passenger seat at night, or the one's people use so they can use HOV lanes. Anyone know where you can get one of those?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-18-2008, 12:59 PM Reply   
Do your lakes not let you ride with one in the boat as long as you have a mirror?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-18-2008, 1:19 PM Reply   
Nope Paul. I moved from Kansas where the mirror rules out the need for a third, and you can ski up to an hr after sunset, to FLA where there are no rules enforced practically, to Indiana where I somehow got out of the $2500+ ticket for not having a third, and it is 10mph the second official sundown happens. And they enforce these rules more than any other.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-18-2008, 1:20 PM Reply   
I see you're referring to TJ. I didn't know misery had a third law either.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-18-2008, 1:39 PM Reply   
Yes. In Missouri you need 3.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-18-2008, 1:53 PM Reply   
hahahaha this is the best thread ever. Ive never heard of someone faking a person for a third. You guys should reference this to the find a third discussion forum. Hilarious. If I had the same problem though and had thought of using a mannequin (or however you spell it) I would of.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-18-2008, 1:56 PM Reply   
Nick Tomsyck (sidekicknicholas) on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 12:26 pm: its a man one...even worse, he looks like bert reynolds

Hehe, oh man, even worse...... and he's full of sand too. Thats gotta be rough.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-18-2008, 2:35 PM Reply   
^LOL!!

Back in the day, one of my high school friends put a blowup Gumby doll in the front seat of his car while he still had a permit. I don't think he ever got caught, but the dude's green, so that's obviously not going to work...

maybe try a dept store?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-18-2008, 2:47 PM Reply   
So I wanna see the picture of whoever blowing Burt....... up. I know there are incriminating photos somewhere.

Riding for years in the Seattle area, we did the Air Santa run every year on Christmas eve. It included a lot of props, Santa suit, boat decorations, big plastic reindeer on the rope, etc. I still have some pics of my brother threading the rope thru the reindeer ass with a pair of needlenose pliers.

It was funny at the time. But sorry for the hijack.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-18-2008, 3:56 PM Reply   
Stuff a wetsuit with towels and put a hat on it.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-19-2008, 4:59 AM Reply   
The blow-up doll that looks like Burt Reynolds comment made me think of the movie Weekend at Bernie's. Some of the scenes with Bernie were pretty funny.

Jman
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-19-2008, 5:28 AM Reply   
we used to stuff towels in a vest, cover pole for the neck and a hat on top...from a distance it looks real...kind of. living on a lake it is often just the wife and I, but I have yet to see a sheriff boat on our lake on a week day or weekend before 10AM...so it's really no big deal for me.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-19-2008, 7:04 AM Reply   
I'll be home this weekend and pull bert out... dress him up real nice and take a picture
Old     (csparks13)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-19-2008, 7:33 AM Reply   
I have never had any problems with this. Does anyone know if it is a law in TX that you have to have a third? We ride on a small lake so maybe they just dont give a damn.

Using a blow up doll.... Priceless!
Old     (watersnake)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-19-2008, 8:53 AM Reply   
Someone needs to post up pics of thier dolls .......in the boat!
Old     (joran)      Join Date: May 2008       09-19-2008, 11:44 AM Reply   
If your going to use a mannequin or doll or whatever always add a hat. Nothing add realism quite like a hat XD

Seriously though, put a hat on, it looks more real.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-19-2008, 12:21 PM Reply   
"Nope Paul. I moved from Kansas where the mirror rules out the need for a third, and you can ski up to an hr after sunset,"

WHAT! I didn't know that. I thought it was sunset.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-19-2008, 12:33 PM Reply   
In TN you just need a mirror and you are good...If they cant see it right off they will sit there forever and watch you and if they still cant they will come over and check...Had that happen on an older boat...As far as Sunset...You have to stop wakeboarding/tubing/skiing, etc. but there is no speed limit at night...
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-19-2008, 12:50 PM Reply   
In MI you need a 3rd, but the ticket is only $130. We rode without a 3rd for the first time last week and ran into a couple of guys we see out literally every time we are out during the week and they said they've ridden on our lake for 6 years without a spotter and had only gotten stopped and ticketed twice.

Our lake is super quiet on week nights, especially now that its cooling off. I'd only ride without a spotter when its glassy, and I never trying anything tricky, more just to get out on the water.
Old     (billy2603)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-19-2008, 2:28 PM Reply   
TX allows mirrors as the third (as long as they are the right size) and you can ride anytime between 30min before sunrise and after 30min after sunset.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-20-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
this chick knows how to party
Upload