Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-07-2008, 9:28 PM Reply   
Kind of a 2 part question.

I own a 2000 X-Star. Recently blew the alternator. Had a rebuild done. Seems like it isn't as high on the readings on my voltmeter as my old one when the boat is running. I swear I used to be around 14-14.2 Volts when I was running. Since the rebuild I am only running 13-13.5. That normal?. I am like 80% sure my meter was reading 14-14.2 before the rebuild, but I never really watched it like I do now since the rebuild. I have a feeling this new 13-13.5 reading is meaning the Alternator isn't performing up to what it should be.

Also I re-did my stereo somewhat this summer. Before I had 3 amps. One was running the sub (Eclipse), one for the interiors (4 Polks) and one for the tower speakers (Mb Quarts). I Recently switched and now run a Kicker ZX350.2 to the Tower speakers and a ZX700.5 for the sub and interiors. Only now the amp cuts out when we are parked just running off the battery when we crank it up a little. I am thinking it is just because the new amp is drawing so much power running the sub and interiors combined the Voltage just can't keep up. I haveno problems at all while it is running/idling or if I am just running the tower speakers. MY battery for the stereo reads 12.4 volts when a meter is put to it and then it drops to like around 11.3-5 when that amp is on. IT is an Interstate Marine Deep Cycle. Can't recall the exact specs But I think it's a 27b with around like 675CCA and 180 RCM at 25AMPs. Again didn't think that one amp would pull that much. I have buddies who can run their amps no pro while their boat is off. So was thinking either that amp is one beast or my battery may need replacing? Any suggestions ideas?

Thanks

(Message edited by xstarrider on September 07, 2008)
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-08-2008, 8:03 AM Reply   
The first thing you should do it check all connections to make sure they are tight and that there isn't any corrosion. If there is some corrosion get a metal brush and clean. Also check to make sure the Belt is tight. Also check that the belt is not glazed over or cracked.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-08-2008, 9:01 AM Reply   
Id start by having the battery checked by a shop that uses conductance type tester instead of the old-school toaster tester. 12.4 is only a 75% charge.

What size/ga cable are you using for your amps, and what's the length of the run.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-08-2008, 11:13 AM Reply   
For my amp wiring I am running 4ga into each distribution block and 8ga out of the block directly to the amp. My run length is about 2-3ft tops and the 4ga wire goes directly to battery terminals. The 4ga has about 1.5ft to the d-blocks(positive one has fuses) and the d-block 8ga has about the same to each amp.

My battery(s) are directly under the observers seat and my amps are mounted on the wall on a rack.
Old    enriched            09-13-2008, 8:15 PM Reply   
Definitely have the battery checked first along with the alternator. How big are the fuses on the amps?