Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-11-2008, 9:51 PM Reply   
My brother is looking into Supras. I know nothing about them except no one here seems to have anything horrible to say about them. Is there a difference in ride and wake between the 21v and 20ssv and how is the quality of the boat?
Old     (lavinder)      Join Date: Mar 2008 Location: Gig Harbor, WA       09-11-2008, 11:05 PM Reply   
I can't speak of the differences between the two boats for wake size.
I bought my 22ssv this spring and I love it, as does the entire family. I have no complaints about any part of the build quality, and I have scoured through the entire boat nosing around. Everything is tight and well built. That's my initial thoughts after one season.
Old    pdxWAKE            09-12-2008, 6:38 AM Reply   
You can't go wrong with Supra. I think you will find the 21V to be a deaper boat, so a bit more comfortable inside and feel a bit safer if you have kids. The 21V will have a playpen seat, so gives you more room to load it down with ALOT of weight all hidden and with more storage. The 20 will be a bit smaller and slick looking on the water and easier to store on a trailer. Either way you will love them. Take them both for a ride and see what fits you guys better. Good luck.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-12-2008, 6:44 AM Reply   
I would buy a supra it is a good boat.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-12-2008, 7:59 AM Reply   
the playpen in the 21v is awesome.....I couldn't imagine boarding with out it. 1100+ lbs all hidden. Plus everyone loves lounging around up there.
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-12-2008, 9:10 AM Reply   
We love our 21v,

playpen is great, except we do not let kids sit up there while boat is in motion. Can't say enough about the storage and 1100lb ballast sac all hidden.

Wakeboarding wake- on the 21v it is very nice with just the stock ballast...more ballast & speed, the wake gets even better!

We primarily surf in our boat (goofey side/drivers side), the only complaint that I have is that we have to put A LOT of ballast (about 3700lbs.) on one side to get a really good surf wake. I am pretty picky about my surf wake though. Part of my 'pickiness' is that I weigh 260lbs. and in order for me to get a nice long surf wake that has some push, to 'push/hold' my phat arse, it takes that much weight. The ballast and 'lean' doesnt bother us or feel 'unsafe' it's just the seating area that you lose with that many sacs on one side of the boat.

NOTE-takes about 3000lbs ballast on the port side of the boat for a good surf wake.

NOTE-Both ballast figures includes the 1180lb bag in the bow locker full.
I have been told by my dealer that the 20ssv seems to throw a better surf wake without having to weigh it down near as much as the 21v.

One thing to consider as far as cosmetics go- The Z5 cargo rack.

Pros-awesome storage for xtra boards, tubes, bags etc.

Cons-It is somewhat 'permanent' meaning that if you want to let the sun through into the cabin area you cannot remove it or 'put it up' to let the sun through without a decent amount of work and then you have to figure out where you are going to store it. We chose to do just a standard Bimini for that reason. We like to let the sun through more often than not. Just our preference, but there is about a $1200 difference in price between the z5 and a standard Bimini. $1200 we chose to put into other things in the boat.

If you guys choose the 21v, track me down and I can give you some ideas that I did to my boat to make a little more user-friendly- custom drink holders, trash bag area in the boat with ez access, IPOD/MP3 player mount etc. Next project is adding some custom aluminum mounts and racks to the tower.

Good luck with your bro's purchase, in my opinion, for the price point that Supra's are at, you get great quality and value. FYI-we had a moomba outback (skier's choice) before our 21v, and for the $, a great value and quality as well. Skiers Choice is a good solid company, no complaints here.
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-12-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
A guy in my crew has a Limited 20ssv and I have a 21v. The wake on the 20 is more like the 22(<2007) which is more rampy, hard, and consistent. I haven't ridden it with more than stock ballast, but stock to stock it's wake is smaller than my 21.

The 21V is a mix between the 22 and a SAN. Long transition, but has a steep kick (Think FMX ramp). I've got up to 2400 lbs in mine and it gets big! I've ridden another 21v that has extra lead sprinkled throughout and it is huge.

The 20 feels like your driving a sports car, but has about that much storage. The 21 feels like a SUV and has that much storage. However, the 21 does not feel sluggish, but 20 handles better (along with my other buddies '03 22SSV). The 20 you'll feel like your in the water, the 21 you'll feel like your on the water.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-12-2008, 10:38 AM Reply   
^^^^^^^^ is a very good description^^^^^^
Old    pdxWAKE            09-12-2008, 10:45 AM Reply   
pwork
I think they made some changes to the rudder box and to the throttle. The 08 21V that I have handles amazingly. My 06 21V was definitely a bit more tanky.