Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-10-2008, 7:59 AM Reply   
Looking to install a heater this winter. Does the heat output difference of the 3 vent heater make it a better choice over the 2 vent heater considering the extra size of the 3 vent?
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-10-2008, 8:43 AM Reply   
Save some cash and grab the auto version instead; thats what I did and its going strong 100hrs plus (knocking on wood).

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-991102&N=700+4294848447+115&autoview=sku
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-10-2008, 8:59 AM Reply   
does the 5/8 inch size fittings work on boats as well, I thought they were 3/4 inch?

Did you just buy the hose/euro vent/hot tube seperately?
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-10-2008, 9:06 AM Reply   
where did you buy the rest of the supplies?
Old     (ifishok)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-10-2008, 9:12 AM Reply   
Here's the parts for heaters.
http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1020
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-10-2008, 9:25 AM Reply   
what about the brass fittings to connect at the heater? What about the 5/8 heater hose?
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-10-2008, 11:09 AM Reply   
The three outlet is way stronger. No comparison on the boats I have been in besides having an extra hot tube is money...........
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-10-2008, 11:47 AM Reply   
three outlet on go2marine.com w/ 1 euro and 2 tubes is $358 + shipping. ( complete kit)
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-10-2008, 12:41 PM Reply   
M-Dizzle has a good line on the two outlet.

I've got two of these installed in series on my boat:
http://biggunsmarine.com/product_info.php?cPath=422_863_866&products_id=107 4
I paid less than that price for mine and they were very good to deal with.

My hose was 5/8" and the pipe fittings used 3/4" thread to install on my Mercruiser. I think I'll get the adaptor, like skidim.com sells, to run the suction side into the impellor instead of the inlet side of the water pump. I spend lots of time idling and the heaters need about 1500 RPM to flow hot water through them.

The tree outlet is definitely better. For me I have four hot tubes and two eurovents. Too many hot tubes means some are going to get stepped on but they sure are nice.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-10-2008, 1:07 PM Reply   
Art, your link is to the 3 outlet heater that is 389+ shipping. How is that less than M-dizzle or Adam's suggestion? Did you call and get a better deal?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-10-2008, 2:34 PM Reply   
I think I paid $349 for each of mine. They did have a promotion on so go2marine might be the best place to order. I had good service from bigguns and I bet they'd price match at the least. My second one I got for less than there list because I just asked for the same price I'd already paid for the first. They're in Texas and I'm in Alberta so other than that, I don't know much about them.
M-dizzle's is basically the same as the two outlet heatercraft but cheaper. The vents on that site are the same as the Eurovents that heatercraft sell. It seems like a good deal.

The two outlet is 28,000 BTU and the three is 40,000 BTU. The three has two fans and can really blow a lot of air. My kids turn on mine even on 90° days to help dry their suits.

(Message edited by rallyart on September 10, 2008)
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-10-2008, 2:37 PM Reply   
Art I too wanted heat at idle and installed the "y" fitting. I took it out as the water pump seemed to loose its prime with this installed. temp gauge would stay low but motor had to be reved up to "prime" system. I thought it was a impeller at first but after replacement I still ha dthe same issues.removed the adaptor and prob solved. this may not be an issue if you put the boat in and the take off(high rpm) right away we have a long channel to idle down that is all no wake.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-10-2008, 2:53 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info Brad. That's something I hadn't considered, but I can see how it could be a problem if the block drains at all.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-10-2008, 3:00 PM Reply   
Another trick I did on my install was to take both heater lines and install quick disconnects...One forward and one in reverse. That way if my heater starts leaking I can disconnect them and connect the feed and return line together bypassing the heater core. Also helps with winterization.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-11-2008, 6:54 AM Reply   
Couldn't you just install a shut off valve on the feed line? That would stop the flow of water going to the core.
Old     (blownc6)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-11-2008, 9:17 AM Reply   
As many have said, http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=74537F usually has the best pricing and the 3 outlet unit is the way to go(or 4 if you have the room). You just have to decide on the type of vents you want. I have 1 Euro vent down by the drivers feet and 2 hot tubes for the crew to use. I use the "y" fitting to improve heating at idle on my 22V Tige, works well, no issues. I've also installed a ball valve at the engine block for the supply line. My first core broke and it would've been nice to have had an easy way to stop the leak. I recommend the shut off valve, it's cheap, easy to install and priceless if you need it. I found whenever we used the heater we ran it in high so I ditched the 3 speed switch and installed an on-off rocker switch wired to the high setting.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-11-2008, 10:57 AM Reply   
Yah, the shut off valve works too, but then you have a return line full of water when it comes time to winterize. This way you can close the system and drain both lines in like 5 seconds of work.

I also use the Y before the impeller on the return line and it made a massive difference (for the better).