Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-24-2008, 11:35 AM Reply   
How safe is it to buy a used boat off of ebay?

assuming that you won't be able to test drive it before the boat is shipped to you/picked up by you, how do you know you won't be getting a lemon? Is there a carfax equivilant for boats?

Anyone here had any experience buying a boat off ebay?

THanks a ton!
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-24-2008, 12:39 PM Reply   
For that much money send a mechanic out or boat survey.

Buck up and fly out there before hand. You're talking tens of thousands of dollars. Spend a few hundred on airfare.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-24-2008, 2:38 PM Reply   
Sold one of my boats on eBay to a guy in Wyoming and I live in NC. I took it to my dealer, let them inspect it and gave the potential buyer the name and number of the dealer so it was all legit. Told them to call myself and/or the dealer with any questions that they may have. I wouldn't buy anything of that caliber on eBay unless the seller was willing to do the same. My .02
Old     (ericlee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-24-2008, 2:39 PM Reply   
I had zero problems buying mine off ebay. I would suggest posting a location of the boat and having a wakeworlder take a look at it. I did on my boat as well as a car that was out of state. Great people on this site that will help you out.
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-24-2008, 2:43 PM Reply   
I would not go as far as to say to fly out there before hand. That doesnt make any sense. I would talk with the seller before hand prior to bidding and get a phone number to where the boat had been serviced (assuming their was one), and speak with a mechanic concerning the upkeep of the boat. Another thing I would make my bid contigent upon the boat passing a presale mechanical inspection at a local shop. This would be something that if it passed you would pay for and if it failed, they would pay for. If they are hesitate about this, then there is a huge red flag that the boat has issues. I have pruchased a boat, 2 buses, and a car off of ebay all without issues. Another idea might be to offer someone on here $50 to go check it out and give you an idea of what kind of shape it is in. Im sure there is someone nearby that could use a couple extra bucks! Good luck!
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-24-2008, 3:03 PM Reply   
ericlee, awesome Guiness buzzzzzzzzzzz.
Old     (jgrunow)      Join Date: May 2004       08-24-2008, 3:22 PM Reply   
I'm not sure why you wouldn't fly to look at it. I live in FL and bought a boat up in MI (not off ebay, but trader). I flew up and flew back in the same day. Rental car and flight at the time = $350 = cheap insurance and much more sleep.
Old     (ericlee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-24-2008, 6:29 PM Reply   
Its a lil drink we call death juice. Everclear, Red Bull, Sprite, and Kool Aid...THe drink makes you do incredible things...lol
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-24-2008, 7:26 PM Reply   
"offer someone on here $50 to go check it out and give you an idea of what kind of shape it is in. Im sure there is someone nearby that could use a couple extra bucks!"

really good idea, thanks.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-25-2008, 9:45 AM Reply   
I've looked at several big dollar items in various states & always found a way to get a local to go check out the boat/truck/bike for me before I make any big commitments. They have always given me a good opinion & sent me some digital pics to look over. It's definitely the next best thing to being there myself.
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-25-2008, 10:18 AM Reply   
When I bought my previous boat, on Ebay, I called the seller, we spoke several times prior to ending the auction.. We agreed to a $500 deposit, that was refundable if anything did not check up to what he promised. I delivered money at pickup.. You may want to outline a list of questions/concerns/reasons to back out.
I had no problems. MAKE SURE the seller has good feedback or is not a new ebay user!
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-25-2008, 10:53 AM Reply   
bill k,

when you say you sent a local, do you mean a mechanic, or just a private party who knows their boats?

in either case, how did you choose the right guy for the job? how did you compensate him/her?

thanks
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-25-2008, 11:10 AM Reply   
Hey Jack,
I have always had a private party do the initial look over. Typically they can send you some pics, and have a general opinion of the overall condition of the boat. And they have no vested interest in whether or not you buy it. You will have a pretty good idea what the boat is like after a phone call & a couple of pictures.

I've always offered to compensate them, but never been taken up on the offer. The last boat I bought, I picked up the guy's dinner & bar tab when we went to make the purchase. Most people get a kick out of it and are just eager to help a fellow rider/boater.

If your looking at a boat over about 5 or 6 years old, I think I'd look into having a dealer or boat mechanic check it out for you too...... assuming it passes the first guy's inspection.
Old     (ericlee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-25-2008, 11:17 AM Reply   
Just post on here where the boat is and I guarantee as long as its not in the middle or nowhere someone will reply and take a look at it.
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-25-2008, 11:19 AM Reply   
Bill,

Thanks for the advice, and yes, the boat would probably be over 5 years old once I finally narrow it down. So, I'm guessing a mechanic would be my best bet.

People sure are helpful around here!