Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2008

Old     (bsebllhglyknit)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-08-2008, 10:49 AM Reply   
About a month ago I landed my first backroll. Well Since then Ive tried about 100 times to land anouther one and have been unsucsessful. Well last monday I was up at the lake and landed 2 back to back. I was stoked and went for a third. I ended up alittle to forward, caught my edge. I dont remember the flip or the fall, just being in the truck on the way home with a horrible headache and feeling sick.

So I went to the lake again to meet some buddies on sunday and i was extremly hesitant about trying the backroll again. I tried two and half assed the rotation. Towards the end of the day I had anouther boat full of people following us wanting to see me try it again. Well I did and landed it. It felt better then landing the first one.

How has an injury affected your riding?
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-08-2008, 10:51 AM Reply   
The same way it did for you. It usually takes me a few sets to get back the confidence and get it out of my head after an injury. Some tricks still give me the creeps to think about.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-08-2008, 11:00 AM Reply   
Every time I nail the pop on a board and take it to the flats I'm thinking "hold up knee hold up!"

So far all good!
Old     (sjohnson)      Join Date: May 2007       07-08-2008, 11:23 AM Reply   
Congrats on the roll's Ryan! Sounds like you've come along ways since last season!

Keep at em. When we rode together I was just startin to land that trick and I paid for it all season...thought I cracked a rib from way under rotating at one point. Right now its a 9/10 trick for me. Its fun now that I can huck it big and be in control. I grabbed it for the first time last weekend...stoked.

Stick with it and dont worry about the crash...once you've overcome the fear of trying it, thats 3/4 of the battle. Hit me up sometime if you'd like to ride together again.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-08-2008, 12:40 PM Reply   
I deconstructed my knee 3 years ago and I am not even close to the level I was riding at before. My knee is 100% now but my mental block is huge.

It feels like it's my first season and i've been riding for 5ish years
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-08-2008, 12:59 PM Reply   
Yep, mental blocks can be huge. For me it was never about being scared of the pain of the trick, but rather the fear of injury and not getting to ride!

I tore up my knee on a raley 5 years ago. I haven't tried one since even though I was mostly back to normal since the following summer. I'm not so much scared of the trick as I just not sure the benefit outweighs the cost. I might land it if I try it, but I also bring in the potential for injury.

At least the backroll doesn't seem to cause that many serious injuries like other tricks. Keep throwing it and you'll have it 100% before you know it. I was still scared to throw them after I had probably landed 10 or more. It just takes time to get comfortable.
Old     (bsebllhglyknit)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-08-2008, 2:24 PM Reply   
Yeah for sure scott. We got a brand new enzo w/ more factory ballast. We are riding almost every week. Mostly sundays and tuesdays. I remember Powell last season and just trying to clear the wake. I will let you know next time we go out.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-08-2008, 9:07 PM Reply   
the way I deal with mental blocks is to try to get right back on the horse immediately... stuck arm through handle to end my 1st set last night... took a second and stomped everything. Now a concussion is a little different, gotta let that heal, and knees too but once you feel better, don't worry, the more you worry the more chance for error I think...
Old     (wakesheazy)      Join Date: Nov 2006 Location: Irvine, California       07-11-2008, 5:25 AM Reply   
Im stilllll not over my injury. Breaking your femur/hip can really screw up the mind over matter theory. I know I can land it... I'm just a hot pocket these days. I've gone on to other tricks and accepted that I'll do it when my appendages say I'm good to go.