Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 05, 2008

Old     (rcogrady)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-20-2008, 12:26 PM Reply   
Anybody heat mold their bindings and have any suggestions?
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-20-2008, 12:37 PM Reply   
i used a boot dryer for ski boots on the highest setting for my ronix' and let them heat up for about 30 minutes (nice and soft and hot to the touch) and then put them on tightened them up and stood in a wakeboard stance for about fifteen minutes while ironing.. we also have a shop here that does custom ortho foot beds for ski boots and he made some custom for my wife's wakeboard boots that she loves.. it is all about the heat.. heat them up and then cinch them tight to get best mold.. they don't always hold the shape but you would be surprised how close they actually stay.. two years now and they still fit like a glove. also a good way to deter people from using your gear..
Old     (rcogrady)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-20-2008, 3:52 PM Reply   
thanks, great advice. I don't have a boot dryer but it sounds like a hair dryer could work.
Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-20-2008, 7:06 PM Reply   
Never had a pair of Ronix bindings but I always wear mine in a super hot bath tub seems like it would do the same.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-20-2008, 7:10 PM Reply   
yeah ive heard you can do it in a hot tub or bath tub, i need to do mine! my feet fn kill me everytime i ride, i hate it, i get the worst pain on the outside of my forward foot (right) and I cant even walk after.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-20-2008, 7:11 PM Reply   
molded my ronix in the tub.
Old     (martinique)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-20-2008, 7:19 PM Reply   
just come come ride in Phoenix it's 7PM and still 107 degrees out
Old     (rcogrady)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-22-2008, 7:20 AM Reply   
I don't know why I didn't think of a hot bath, thanks.
Old     (jboard1)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-22-2008, 7:35 AM Reply   
I heat molded my 07 Cells. You can get it done at your local shop that sells Ronix gear. More than likely if they sell Ronix gear, they should have the molder. If they don't, i guess you could always do the bath tub or hot tub action, but not sure if it is as effective. I'd reccommend getting it done with the actaul heat molder, just because I know it works. The shop should do it for free if you bought them there. Good luck
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-22-2008, 8:07 AM Reply   
ManFox: Im suprized that 30 min didn't ruin your boots.

If you go to a shop that has the Intuition "cooker" they should only be exposed to heat for about 7-8 minutes. Then when you put them on DO NOT cinch them very tightly at all or else you will risk packing out all of the foam that you want molded to your foot.

Also, there are no guarentees that molding will work in a wet environment (bath/hottub) bacause the foam cells are supposed to expand thru dry heat and may not do so properly in the presence of water. But hey, they are your boots do what you please, just don't go around bashin' ronix gear if you don't do it right and things don't work out as planned. my $.02
Old     (jboard1)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-22-2008, 8:25 AM Reply   
amen Tom.
sweet pic too
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-22-2008, 8:43 AM Reply   
tom, before you get ahead of yourself and for clarification.. the ski boot dryer application takes far longer to warm than conventional methods ie: "cooker" and thirty minutes was equivalent to about what you would get in the cooker for 7-8 minutes.. as for not cinching them tight, well to each his own.. however, i would rather have my closed cell foam boots molded to support my feet and arches more precise, then loose... that would kind of negate the point of heat moldable liners? then again, to each his own..