Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 05, 2008

Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-12-2008, 8:20 PM Reply   
Ive been looking for a new vest this year and am having problems cause im tall and skinny so they always slide up on me.

The only vest ive found is the oneill checkmate but dont know how well it floats. I want to be able to stay afloat if i get hurt.

So to the question. Since comp vests seem to fit much nicer im wondering what comp vests float decently well unless someone can recommend a CGA vest.

(Message edited by goride on May 12, 2008)
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-12-2008, 9:33 PM Reply   
I've got an old KGB vest, I don't know if they make it any more, it's an 04 I think, but it fits pretty well. It definitely floats as well. Never had a chance of coming off and it doesn't ride up as long as you tighten the straps up. The only thing with it is you gotta wear something under it or it will sand your nips off.

Looks like this anyway. It might be Aussie made I'm not sure.

Upload
Old     (trevorcurry)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-13-2008, 12:10 AM Reply   
The oniell vapor is a comp vest and its pretty thick. I use it and it floats me jsut fine. And I'm pretty skinny myself.
Old     (protag)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-13-2008, 1:31 AM Reply   
hey goride,

i got the checkmate (as far as i know it's "this year's vapor") and it floats pretty well for a non-cga. i can totally recommend it, though if you are really skinny it might not fit you perfectly.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-13-2008, 6:29 AM Reply   
O'Neill Revenge Comp
Old     (hyperliteguy_04)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-13-2008, 6:46 AM Reply   
I have the hyperlite JD Webb and i love it!
Old     (waketac)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-13-2008, 7:41 AM Reply   
O'neill Outlaw suits and floats me just fine
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-13-2008, 8:20 AM Reply   
thanks for the suggestions ill have to try those.

Oh yeah im not like crazy skinny just your average tall skinny 6 ft guy
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-13-2008, 8:41 AM Reply   
for comp vests go smaller than what you would normally get.
Old     (hyperliteguy_04)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-13-2008, 9:22 AM Reply   
i used the sizing chart on buywake.com and my vest fit me perfectly!
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-13-2008, 11:18 AM Reply   
Xcel Method is by far the best imo. It has thin foam up top and thicker foam in the bottom section. Very good flotation and great flexibility.

http://www.evogear.com/wakeboard-vests/xcel-method-segmented-impact-vest-2007.aspx?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=goo glebase&CMP=KAC-Froogle
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-13-2008, 11:35 AM Reply   
Mitch maybe ill try a small in some other vests since i usually wear a medium.

This sucks cause when i was at a demo day i wore a LF vest that fit perfect but my dumb ass didnt bother to see which vest it was.

Dont you hate when you remember to do something when your driving home or somewhere else.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-13-2008, 11:39 AM Reply   
O'Neil Revenge Comp floats very well and it's long.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-13-2008, 4:24 PM Reply   
Jet Pilot Baller floats pretty well, but it is thicker than some of the above mentioned vests.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-13-2008, 4:30 PM Reply   
I think the new Oneill boosts look floaty
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-14-2008, 10:46 AM Reply   
I just came from the SkiShack where this morning I purchased an O'Neill Vapor. We took it and the A-10 to a 12 ft. tank, and I tried both for buoyancy. I wanted the A-10 cause it looks so damn cool, but when I exhaled fully, I went to the bottom of the pool. Not saying anything negative about the A-10, just didn't fit into what I was looking for. My priorities were rib protection, buoyancy, fit, and the Vapor filled the role (unfortunately the one with purple threading).
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-14-2008, 12:40 PM Reply   
How about just buying an approved vest and not having to worry about flotation?
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-14-2008, 1:17 PM Reply   
...Because I previously purchased an approved vest saying specifically, "I don't want to compromise anything for floatability". Picked up a LF Cinch which has little rib protection but is USCG approved and promptly broke a rib on an innocuous fall. Not giving up on the idea of floating, just balancing that with "integrated rib protection".

(Message edited by onthewatermo on May 14, 2008)
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-14-2008, 1:25 PM Reply   
...and I was sad to give up my Cinch because it matched my board. The day I got it over lunch break, my boss insisted I bring it into the office.
Upload
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-14-2008, 1:34 PM Reply   
O'neil Outlaw floats great. The Vapor floats ok, too, but has a tendency to slide off over your head on hard crashes. I've got the Guru now and it's like wearing a wetsuit top. Doesn't float well. I might just have to go back to my Outlaw. Comfortable and floats well.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-14-2008, 2:37 PM Reply   
I'm going to have to recommend the CWB faction vest. I knocked myself out facedown and it floated me quite well, at least thats what I was told:-)

It has a side zipper and one strap. Is really thin and comfortable too.