Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 05, 2008

Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-05-2008, 8:21 AM Reply   
Ok so is this thing out yet? I know a select few already have it but is it shops now cause I didn't find it on the internet thinking about heading to performance to buy one.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-05-2008, 8:25 AM Reply   
Yes it is out, but I am not sure what stores have it.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-05-2008, 11:53 AM Reply   
I have one that I ride all the time, the board is great, super fun! The Core makes it almost silent on sliders!
Old     (watson_134_lf)      Join Date: Nov 2007       05-05-2008, 12:12 PM Reply   
http://www.the-house.com/wkob45r58zz-obrien-wakeboards.html
Old     (watson_134_lf)      Join Date: Nov 2007       05-05-2008, 12:14 PM Reply   
andy, i dunno if you got my email, but i was wondering if the R5 was worth it compared to a roam or covanant...i can get the roam or covanant for like $100, but youve probably rode all three, so if you have any insight on that, id like to know
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-05-2008, 1:32 PM Reply   
ACtually I have never rode an Rome or a Covanant. What I can tell you is that there is no wood in the construction so you dont have to worry about the board delaminating, which I have been told was a major issue with Romes in the past. I would step it up and get one I have been riding mine since mid feburay and I am beating on this boat riding in ditches and ghetto rails all over, I can tell you that it can take a beating!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-05-2008, 1:40 PM Reply   
I have not ridden either the covenant or roam, but i did notice that the specs for the R5 show that it is wider than the ronix and hyp designs.
Also obrien is "providing warranties for the R5 even after hitting sliders" or so it said something like that in WBMag.
considering those two things, id go with the R5 over the other two, but thats just comparing those 3 boards alone ;)

I'm all up for hearing more about the new gear and opinions too (even though i'm addicted to Slingshot)! the Local more than the R5 though.
is it gona be warrantied the same as the R5? what and how is it warrantied the way it is? definitely a step above what others are doing and especially for a company that for many (on WW) comes across as a "economy-brand-company" (not flaming by the way)
Old     (ethan31)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-05-2008, 3:06 PM Reply   
Andy, Will the r5 loose any of its snap/flex? I assume not with the eva core....

I love my roam but its all flexed out, Maybe I broke it? I dont know, it never rode the same after I had a hard crash on it.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-05-2008, 8:49 PM Reply   
Ethan,
I talked to an O'Brien engineer and he said they hooked the R5 up to a test machine that flexed the board 3000 times and it was just as snappy as it was the first time.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-06-2008, 6:41 AM Reply   
This is what makes the R5/Local Technology so sick, as Jakober said the R5 and Local will not loose its snap because of the EVA Core.

Also as far as I have heard we are the Only company that is warranting all these style of boards for Slider Abuse! That is a great thing considering how big of a part jibbing is to wakeboarding.
Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-06-2008, 9:26 AM Reply   
Yah I'm definatly picking one up soon prob next payday i didnt get the mileage check this week lol. So anyways I'm guessing the 145 not the 139 for me seeing as I ride a 139 natural now.
Old     (slaysher)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-07-2008, 11:10 AM Reply   
the R5 is a way fun and i love butter slid'n' that deck all over the lake. gets me ampd for snow season a bit. :-)
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-07-2008, 5:25 PM Reply   
Jordy, you bringing one to Pateros? :-)
Old     (slaysher)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-12-2008, 10:02 AM Reply   
yeah, sure i'll try and bring one for sure. i just let my friend borrow a prototype to go hit some rails this last weekend but they ended up busting the rail instead HA.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-12-2008, 10:12 AM Reply   
Jordan,

So your heading to Pateros this year? Maybe you will live up to your reputation a little better than you did at the premiere

Good to hear the R5 is kicking butt and taking names!
Old     (mstepper)      Join Date: May 2008       05-12-2008, 10:22 AM Reply   
Yeah... where were you jakober? ... Mr. Knott made it out! ? The rails ended up not holding up for too long... but the R5 board is pretty fun. However, I just got my new HL Phriction Skate and couldn't help but ride that thing! I got to ride 4 times in the last 3days so. I can't complain. THANKS AGAIN JB! See ya friday with some coffee monster!
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-12-2008, 10:35 AM Reply   
I wasn't invited

Actually I was in Missoula spending the weekend with my MOM for mothers day

Man, that skates got nothing on what O'Brien has coming out real soon
Old     (mstepper)      Join Date: May 2008       05-12-2008, 10:49 AM Reply   
Actually it does. But I can't post any pictures on here of it. because I said I wouldn't! but it's pretty amazing. And yes O'brien does have a sweet skate coming out. I do concur. However, the one I have from HL fits me and is the only one like it. They may not end up producing it, but I really think they should. Rode it 4times and like it waaaay better than the BT Vinyl. I really wish I could post pictures of it! This just means we'll have to meet up and ride again soon! p.s. the graphic on my skate poops on O'brien's graphics... I mean really who do they have designing over there anyways....
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-12-2008, 11:06 AM Reply   
Wow, calling out the graphics guy, that's bold. Have you seen that guy? I know you are a pretty big dude, but that guy is scary. I wouldn't mess with him
Old     (mstepper)      Join Date: May 2008       05-12-2008, 11:37 AM Reply   
Oh I dunno... why don't we ask Jordan Ballard about my Ninja Skills!?!?!?! Although, I do know after that GodSpeed premiere in Kirkland I don't think i'd want to mess with that graphics guy! hahaha
Old     (slaysher)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-12-2008, 1:22 PM Reply   
AH HAHAHAH! i don't know what's up with that crazy graphics guy :-) i did take out some . . . " STUFF " at the GODSPEED premeire, and vow to never get that hammered again, i don't remember anything after the raffle where i was shaking tickets all over the floor AHHH HA HA HA
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-12-2008, 1:32 PM Reply   
J- the new skate is amazing looking!