Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old     (tazbike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-04-2004, 10:23 PM Reply   
I'm trying to build a ballast system for my 1999 MC 205V, does anyone have any hard tanks they took out? Or where I can some hard tanks that I can mount?

Thanks
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       01-05-2004, 7:58 AM Reply   
I have the 2 hard tanks from my 02XStar (X2) that I removed and replaced with 500# bags.

I'm not sure what the tanks are worth - make me an offer.
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-05-2004, 1:02 PM Reply   
Don't waste your time with hard tanks. You will be able to add more weight with sacs and have more storage when they are empty. Put 3 full sized sacs in the boat. 2 in the rear (~500 lbs) and 1 in the bow as full as it will go. Then add a locker sac in the ski locker and you will be good to go!!
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-07-2004, 5:50 AM Reply   
I agree, go with sacs. I took my hard tanks out of my x2 and replaced them with 500 lb sacs. This gives me a ton of room back there even when they are full.
Old     (tazbike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-08-2004, 9:53 AM Reply   
To all,
I was wondering which company do you recommend for 500 lbs sacs? The reason I want a hard tank is that I was told that it is only way to set up an automated system,(flip a switch, fill them up and know when they are full) which is what I want.

Zack, I sent you an email, I'm still interested in your hard tanks.

Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-08-2004, 10:20 AM Reply   
Thad-You still have an overflow hose attached to the sacs so when they are full it will overflow out the side of the boat. Even though this is true, I still open up the back compartments and keep and eye on them just in case. The overflow hose also lets air escape so you don't have to burp the sacs.
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-08-2004, 4:36 PM Reply   
Not true.. You can build an auto system with sacs just as easy. I agree, I too still keep and eye on them when I flip the switches and I too have overflow valves. Check out www.letsgoride.com they will customize sacs (as many fittings as you like). I highly recommend sacs over tanks!!!! Cannot stress this enough.. There is not one characteristic imo that tanks have over sacs... period!!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-10-2004, 8:20 AM Reply   
I never thought about doing this before now. How much to the hard tanks hold? Is it 300lbs a piece? How much do the bags cost with the overflow? Thanks
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-12-2004, 5:56 AM Reply   
Paul. I bought my fat sacs from a friend and I can't remember how much they were.Seems like they go for around $100 a piece but I really don't remember. I think you would be happier with fat sacs but that's just my opinion. I have pics of mine if you want to see them I will email them to you.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       01-12-2004, 10:14 AM Reply   
Thad,
I think you and I have talked before on this subject. Here's what I'll be putting in the rear of my X10. 1 on each side of the engine. Ignore the "cooler" portion. Strictly picked it for the weight capacity. The dimensions work out nicely too.
If interested, give Buywake guys a call, or shop around. You can find them elsewhere (or maybe Buywake will deal) and save about $15 per bag from what's listed.

http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail.lasso?cat=8&man=Launch%20Pad&sku=LA_qcKAK

(Message edited by phat in cincy on January 12, 2004)
Old     (tazbike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-13-2004, 1:47 PM Reply   
This may be a dumb question (for I've always planned to do hard tanks) but, for proper draining after and an automated system do you need to have "top" and "bottom" fitting for drain and fill? Any suggestions on weight in front? (Where and how much?)

Thanks, I really appreciate the help.
Old     (airfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-13-2004, 8:19 PM Reply   
Here is a link from a old post with some pictures of my sacks. No you don't nee a bottom drain. The pumps will pull some air our.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/
50209.html
Old     (airfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-13-2004, 8:20 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/50209.html

Sorry, try this
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-14-2004, 5:03 AM Reply   
Thad-to drain the sacs you just need to make sure the hose is long enough to reach the bottom of the bag. It will pull out all the water.
So no, you don't have to have a sac with bottom fittings. A regular sac with 2 fittings on top will work fine.