Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       09-10-2009, 2:00 PM Reply   
Went to Lake Norris this past week, had 12 in the boat, full ballast, (awesome wake) and went for a 3 to start my run. I over-rotated it and landed on my front edge slamming my head (ear) into the water hard. I heard a pop and something that sounded like a hair dryer in my ear for a few seconds. After that, I couldn't (still can't) go deep in the water. I spent the rest of hte houseboat trip surfing....
anyways - my hearing is still only like 50% in my left ear. I am sure this has happened to other people here, just some advice - is this normal? will it pass or do i need to go in? I work a lot and it is tough for me to see a doc during biz hours.

thanks guys!
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-10-2009, 2:10 PM Reply   
busted it....

you really need to see a doc though so that you can get some drops for it. The last thing you want is an infection in your ear.
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-10-2009, 2:19 PM Reply   
A few years ago I blew my eardrum trying a blind 360. When I hit the water, it felt like someone had jabbed a pencil down my ear. When I surfaced, everything was spinning like crazy. It was pretty painful for the first few days but gradually got better after a few weeks. My hearing is probably slightly under-average, but I can't say if that fall had anything to do with it or not. I don't remember losing any hearing at the time of the crash.

Anyways, definately see a doctor. You don't want that to get infected! Bad things can happen when it gets severly infected. In which case, they would just give you some anti-biotics, or ear-drops, and it would probably go away. But if it does get infected, it may be much longer before you get back on the board again so... I wouldn't risk not seeing a doctor.
Old     (pavement_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-10-2009, 2:25 PM Reply   
Def sounds like a busted ear drum. Go see the doc, drops and some antibiotics should help to fight off any infection.
Old     (harris)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-10-2009, 2:50 PM Reply   
i did the same thing this season. couldnt hear out of it for like two weeks because it got infected. you really need to go to the doc and get some drops. and if it starts hurting some antibiotics. when its infected it really hurts
Old     (an_d)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-10-2009, 3:59 PM Reply   
I just blew my ear on monday and literally just got back from the doctor like an hour ago. DONT PUT YOUR EAR UDNER WATER. you could get an infection this way. go see a doctor to get a prescription for ear drops. your ear will heal itself over time.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-10-2009, 5:01 PM Reply   
definitely keep your ear dry - even in the shower, and see a dr. if you're lucky and look after it, it should only take a couple of weeks to heal up.
having said that i was unlucky and mine took 4 months, but i don't think that's the norm..
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-10-2009, 5:02 PM Reply   
and don't try to pop your ears! when you do that it slows down the healing, cos you're forcing air through the hole in your eardrum, and it can't heal over.
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-10-2009, 8:12 PM Reply   
This is exactly why I ride with the ear wax in my ears (and also to prevent swimmer's ear). I may look like a retard but at least I won't be busting my ear drums while I'm out on the water!!!
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       09-11-2009, 8:48 AM Reply   
Wow guys - thank you so much for the info.

I would have probably let this play itself out. Funny wakeboard injury - nothing to show - you know?

I am heading to the docs today at lunch. Do you think I can ride this weekend if I slap an ear plug in it?
Old     (nvboarder)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-11-2009, 8:48 AM Reply   
Just blew out my ear drum acouple weeks back, the doctor gave me some medicine to keep it from getting infected and said keep it dry. It's getting better but is not healed yet. I didn't get ear drops, they gave me some pills.
Old     (osu_bcky1)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-11-2009, 11:15 AM Reply   
Funny you say this. I took a house boat trip to Norris about a month ago. At least 6 people left the lake with ear infections. I definitely lost about 50% of hearing because of it. Could be a combination of the slam + water quality.
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       09-11-2009, 12:33 PM Reply   
Just got back from the Docs.

Eardrum is slightly blown...... not sure how that works. but he said it isn't damaged too bad. He said I also have water compacted behind the ear drum. Some steroid nasal spray, sudafed, drops and some 'face exercises' to try to work it out. (O faces?)
I am also not supposed to get in the water until the ear feels normal.

thanks for the help everyone
Old     (kylewake)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-13-2009, 7:04 AM Reply   
hi there i have blown mysame ear drum twice now you mustgo to the doc and they gave me tablets just to stop any infection but u have to wait a week or so for the hole in ur drum to heal then u back on the water
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-13-2009, 3:12 PM Reply   
Blew mine out early this season.. Took like a month and a half for it to heal completely. I now ride with earplugs for good measure...