Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (clipse)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-24-2009, 5:23 PM Reply   
I`m 30 years old just getting into wakeboarding. Rode last week for the 1st time found it easy to stay up and carve on a old Hyperlite Crusier. I snowboard and do nothing too crazy there but wakeboarding I want to try killing myself attemtping jumps and flips. Is it better for me to get a intermediate board? Or go all out? Will I have issues going into a Lyman or a Ronix One?

Any advice will help. keep in mind i`m not growing any more so this board needs to last.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-24-2009, 5:29 PM Reply   
I think the best thing to do is to ride as many different boards as you can to figure out what you like and dont like. See if you like 3-stage or continuous better and start narrowing down from there. I dont really believe all that intermediate level, pro level, etc... It is all what you feel best on. Try different bindings to to see what is most comfortable as bindings are just important as the board.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-24-2009, 5:37 PM Reply   
I would not go into a one or lyman...as they are very fast boards......that doesnt mean you cant go all out and get a pro board and bindings. I would get something a little slower.....such as some of the cwb boards with bigger rockers. The lyman was the first board i ever rode that I would not recommend for a beginner, the one is a flat board with no bottom features to soften landings, which i feel is always a benefit to have a spine of some sort. For bindings go right to the top and pick one that you like the fit of.....but it seems you wont go wrong with a lf watson or any of the other top of line bindings...which ever fits you best.
Old     (clipse)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-24-2009, 6:07 PM Reply   
Thansk for the advice on the high end boards. I really do not know how I can try out many boards around here so that is going to be a issue. I think i`m going to have to trust the consensus of what people think in reviews and feedback etc. From what I see, Liquid Force and Hyperlite very common boards and seem to be solid. Ronix higher end correct?
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-24-2009, 6:13 PM Reply   
liquid force, ronix, cwb, hyperlite, o brien all top manufacturers.

ronix is a newer company but growing fast and has become very popular but not anymore higher end than lf , cwb, or hyperlite.

I am biased but I would recommend the cwb marius.....you can ride it for the rest of your life.......big pop, spines for soft landings width for a mellow and stable ride and pop....and very controllable. While some boards may do this or that better....the marius is a perfect all around board and will enable you to learn and progress and be happy.

(Message edited by absoluteboarder on August 24, 2009)
Old     (clipse)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-25-2009, 9:58 AM Reply   
Im now starting to look at some older clear out boards on ebay from grizzly sports. How is the 07 3DS for a newb? I see hyperlite does not make that any more. 07 Premier? Like I said I want something that will last and not have to upgrade as I progress but do not want something like the One and Lyman that seems to maybe stunt the progression as suggested. Im not all about the latest and greatest more of a good solid board that will handle the few times a year up here in the great white north.

There is also a Watson from Grizzly Sports that seems a good price and a little better choice that the One/Lyman for me..Any suggestions?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-25-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
Dan, I've been riding the Hyperlite Motive for a number of years now. It's listed as a beginner/intermediate board. It has two molded fins and a bolt on center fin. I take out the center for a looser ride. It's pretty grippy with the center in.

It's one of the longest running designs that are still being made. It won't hold you back (I do flips and spins) and can be found cheap. I've bought about 6 of them over the years, cause I bust them up on sliders at the cable park. I just picked up one on Craigslist for $60. I've gotten a few off eBay for under a $100 shipped.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-25-2009, 10:50 AM Reply   
Hyperlite has a LIFETIME warranty.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-25-2009, 10:58 AM Reply   
grizzly also has some 09 liquid force watsons on sale that by consensus is a very popular board and very good all around. The 3ds def. not as popular and wont land as soft as the watson. Soft landings are important as once you learn how to jump some board will feel like they land hard when you land flat. The premier has a big flat spot in the middle=hard landings. The watson has extensive bottom features to soften the landing.....it also comes with 2 sets of centre fins so that when you have progressed and want the board to be a little looser you can put in the smaller centre fin.....and finally ride finless. So many more options and all around versatility with the watson (and cwb marius) over the premier or 3ds. Hyperlite is not as good as it used to be so dont get hung up on the brand. Like john says you can ride the motive or for that matter any board, but in my mind i always like to get the board that offers the best in stability , consistency, all around versatility and safety (soft landings, easy on the body. For example when i was a beginner i cased the wake with a flat board and really slapped the board on the water=cracked bone......if i had a higher end board like my marius....it just crushes the wake if you land on it because of the v taper and spines. These are things you dont really think about as a beginner but will once you start riding consistently and things happen.
Old     (clipse)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-25-2009, 11:14 AM Reply   
Think I might go with the Watson. Seems to be in the area I need
Old     (airborne7)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-25-2009, 11:33 AM Reply   
Try a liquid force witness. It will be easy enough to ride for a beginner but you can definately progress on it. I have one and absolutely love it.
Old     (reki34)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-25-2009, 5:27 PM Reply   
CWB Pure or Hyperlite State.. They are both great boards to progress on. The Pure lands abit softer though. But its way to loose with out fins. The State I ride finless and luv it. Both have great pop and spin rates. For me the State just feels so natural to ride on. And as Hyperlite states in its State review vid, it is there best selling board.

Reki
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-25-2009, 8:40 PM Reply   
Michael Z- Ill have to "beg to differ" on the way the marius handles...of course everyone has their own opinion about a board, but all of my homies ride C-dub including myself (transcend). All including me have had a chance to ride the Marius and it has a reputation of being very loose on the water and the pop is not very "bucky/up". It def sends more into the flats if you want but it takes a little bit more work to get a 3 stage pop out of it. Because if its width, very shallow fins, and continuous rocker, the board is a pretty fast board. The double spine doesnt make up for a very soft landing and i think is due to the width of the board. It is a very unique board and some love it/ will die by it, and some dont like it at all. You really have to know how to learn your edge and such to be comfortable on a "loose" board when your a beginner. My buddy has been riding a marius for 3 years now and just started trying the transcend, none of us have ever seen him get the pop that hes getting on the marius. The transcend is booting him! Agree to disagree but i couldnt suggest a marius for a beginner.

Dan- If your gonna go with cwb, the absolute or transcend will be a good board to learn and get better on.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-25-2009, 9:53 PM Reply   
Codi I'm going to agree to disagree. Ever seen Danny W ride the Marius? End of discussion.

I've rode the Absolute and didn't like it.
09 Transcend was alright but not my style.
Marius is what I ride but you need to get used to the width of the board. Some love it some hate it!

Find something in your budget and get the right bindings for sure. They make all the difference I think.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-26-2009, 5:10 AM Reply   
....part of the problem probably is i am on the o7 and 06 which is a slower boar than 08 09 10,

....it is funny how we interpret boards.....we have had coplete beginners up on it and riders that have been on other boards felt it very stable with huge pop and "boot".

having said that what i find with any board, you have to ride it for a while to tweak your riding to get the most out of a board

the 07 is not a loose board but can feel that way if you are to aggressive on turning onto edge because of its width.....she can slide out.....but if you do a proper progressive edge there is no problem.

the marius helps teach you to edge properly

finally you are 21 and probably have different riding styles...ie. more aggressive.
Although on my boat a 21 year old switched from the lf substance to the 06 marius and has never looked back...he is more confident and progressed better.

but thats what the forum is all about each and everyone of our own impressions about boards.
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-27-2009, 10:04 PM Reply   
jeff- Danny W is far from beginner....any guy at his level can pretty much make a continuous look like a 3 stage and vice versa. Of course the pros do notice the difference in a board characteristics, but they can go big on pretty much whatever you hand them.

Again, some people love the marius, some people like other boards. Its such a unique board that i suggest riding it before you make a big purchase on it cause its really a different ride.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-28-2009, 9:46 AM Reply   
I think continuous boards are more manageable.
3 stage have a tendency to be less forgiving on the pop. In my history with them anyway I would not hit the rocker right all the time. Thus causing me to get bucked if and when I hit the rocker right. The continuous boards on the other hand are usually more consistent in their pop.

But we will agree that it is best to look at as many different shapes as possible !

I still think bindings can make or break how you feel on a board. If your not comfy in the bindings the ride just wont feel right.