Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old     (gvb)      Join Date: May 2003       06-23-2003, 9:22 AM Reply   
I had to vent...

Friday night we arrived at Martinez Lake and set up camp.

Saturday morning I woke up to find that I lost my wallet somewhere between home and the river.

Saturday while on the water, I rotated a frontside 180 off the wake and never had my balance. Dug the nose into the water and slammed my head against the water. Next thing I knew the light from the sun was spinning around me and I was swimming towards it trying to get air (I guess I was laying face down in the water trying to swim down). From that point I don't remember anything until I was sitting on the porch of a friends house about 30 minutes later. The ride back to the shore my wife was asking me questions and I didn't even know we were at the river or where we slept the night before.

While sitting on the porch of the friends house, we discovered they never showed up for the weekend, meaning we could have stayed there instead of camping in the heat.

After we took a break for a few hours, I never puked or had a headache so I don't think I had a concussion (have a Dr. appt. this morning) we went back out on the water so I could let my friends get some more pulls in. Some idiot Jetskier managed to convince me to drive down the river a few miles to let their friends know they were out of gas. Well, they were staying in a lake that I had never been in, so on the way out my boat wouldn't idle so I had to keep it at 2k RPM in order to keep it running. I goosed it on the way out of the lake and beached it. After pushing it off the sand there was a teeth shaking vibration. Prop is bent.

Loaded the boat up and decided to go home first thing Sunday morning. At the Border Patrol checkpoint between AZ and CA they decided to rip my car and the boat apart and unpack everything for us (clothes, tents, sleeping bags, etc...) Seems the dogs at the checkpoint hit on my idiot friends pipe that was in his bag. After standing in the sun for an hour they let us go we spent another 30 minutes repacking everything. Now I know I had to search my friends before they get in my car.

Dr. appt in an hour, hopefully he doesnt tell me I need to get get a CAT scan. The weekend from hell can't get any worse.

-gvb
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-23-2003, 9:44 AM Reply   
whoa dude, think about this, you hit rock bottom, and you've got no where to go but up. You got the worst weekend of the summer out of the way, and it's only June!
Old     (iewc_vp)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-23-2003, 9:59 AM Reply   
That sucks man. If I ever meet you I will buy you a beer for that story alone!
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-23-2003, 11:10 AM Reply   
When you came into wakesports to get your buddy's bindings, you were all excited about the weekend, and now that story, that sucks bro.
How did the Dr appt. go?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-23-2003, 11:21 AM Reply   
if it makes you feel any better, I had $400 of tools jacked from my (locked) truck box sat night. noticed this as I was about to go pick up the boat for some wakeboarding. so i didn't get to go right then as i had to wait for the police officer to get there. apparently I was not the only one that was hit. this week I will definately be putting in a car alarm.

Old     (boardinbeast)      Join Date: May 2003       06-23-2003, 12:49 PM Reply   
well, it could have been raining. Us ppl in the NE know all about the rain on weekends, we have had ONE weekend without rain since the beginning of May. And that is a fact. They keep repeating over and over on the news. Yeah that weekend did suck, but hey now its over, no one is seriously injured, and now you have the story to top all other bad weekend stories.

Gotta find that silver lining =)
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-23-2003, 2:07 PM Reply   
As much as that sucked you made it through it without serious injury to person or property. I think everyone has those bad outings.
It's rained in record numbers on the east coast so our great days have been far and few between.
Hang in there man, you be riding on glass before you know it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-23-2003, 2:31 PM Reply   
You had a concussion. I took one doing the exact same trick. Ended up in the hospital asking "what happened?" My girlfriend had to write down the day's events so I wouldn't have to keep asking the same questions...."where did we launch, who was there, what happened?"
Old     (gvb)      Join Date: May 2003       06-24-2003, 9:19 AM Reply   
Dr. says I had a Grade 3 concussion (using the Sports Medicine definitions of Grade 1 through 4).

Sucks... he says no more head trauma for at least 2 months. That means I gotta take it easy for awhile. But like you guys all said, at least I wasn't floating face down in a coma.

-gvb
Old    wes_the_gimp            06-24-2003, 5:25 PM Reply   
I had to work both days. nuf said.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-24-2003, 6:16 PM Reply   
The worst day ridin',
is better than the best day workin'.