Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 06, 2009

Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       04-27-2009, 9:21 AM Reply   
Guys, I am looking to get kiteboarding lessons somewhere near MN. I wanna give it a shot since I may have to sell my boat when I am off to graduate school next year so I figure a Kite may keep me busy through the season without a boat and perhaps the winter too! Anyone know anyone who knows someone or somewhere?!
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-27-2009, 10:08 AM Reply   
Jon Zaugg (the video guy) has a kite. I'll let him know and see if he can give you lessons.

When do you plan to sell your boat?
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       04-27-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
Chad - if I do sell my boat it will be after this season, no worries! I may not sell it however, if I can come up with funds to pay for it while I am in graduate school. Then, I will upgrade!

Yeah man talk to John and see if he can hook us up with lessons (did you get my email!?!?!)

I may have to get me a kite and board ;-)
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-27-2009, 11:16 AM Reply   
Totally off the subject but I was in Cozumel Mexico and on the backside of this island there were like 10 dudes shooting for some slingshot sponsored Kite video. They were riding in the surf and going HUGE! It was insane to say the least. I could see getting into kiting after my knees cant take the wakeboard beating any longer. But for now I love the roar of the big block V8!
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-27-2009, 12:47 PM Reply   
i think it's a small block V8 but I agree! I saw some guys going huge in Miami when I was there in December too.
Old     (pacifichigh)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-27-2009, 1:16 PM Reply   
lots of kiting on Lake Minnetonka (sp) on both water and snow.
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       04-27-2009, 3:06 PM Reply   
That is sweet!

Pacific - I am aware of the kiting in lake Minnetonka, but I have no contacts at all. I would really like to hook up with someone who can give me lessons, get me into the sport and recommend what I should potentially buy. So if anyone has any contacts please hook a brotha up!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-27-2009, 3:18 PM Reply   
Eder

Call Sean Barrett at The House he knows TONS of dudes that Kite he will hook you up. His work # is 651-482-9995 ask for Sean Barrett and they will connect you.
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       04-27-2009, 3:40 PM Reply   
Thanks Andy, I will be giving him a call ASAP
Old     (element8456)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-27-2009, 6:56 PM Reply   
Ya its great wait till winter to start it alot easier. I just learned how this year. Give Tighe or Chad a call at Lakawa. Really nice guys. Check it out http://www.lakawa.com/ anymore questions just ask

Jack}
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       04-27-2009, 6:58 PM Reply   
Jack - thanks for the link man! I dont want to wait until winter, however, I want to try and get the basics down this summer! I have been ACHING to kiteboard for years man!
Old     (element8456)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-27-2009, 7:04 PM Reply   
Its a blast have fun the guys at lakawa are really good I would defiantly go out with them. Midwest Mountaineering carrys some gear there to cool store. http://www.midwestmtn.com/
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       04-27-2009, 7:13 PM Reply   
Jack - thanks for the link. I just emailed Tighe. Hopefully he responds soon! Thanks for the link for the gear, but I am set in that aspect if I decide to buy one! Hit me up if you ever go kiting man! I'd be willing to pay cash, or trade pulls behind my boat for a good time with a kite!
Old     (element8456)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-27-2009, 7:23 PM Reply   
Hey Eder, I just started this winter so I havent hit the water yet... But on the ice its a complete blast. As soon as you start you'll be hooked!!

(Message edited by element8456 on April 27, 2009)
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       04-27-2009, 7:34 PM Reply   
Sick! Thanks Jack! I cannot wait for one of the guys to email me back! Wooooo!

Andy - Thanks to you too homie! I will be calling Sean within the next week, if you see him or talk to him, it would be kickass if you gave him a heads up on my behalf. Yes!!!!!!!
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-28-2009, 7:37 AM Reply   
Eder, once you get the basics down, find a cheap road trip to the coast. You will learn more in 3 days in SPI, OBX, etc. than in three months on an inland lake. The key is to spend as much time on the board as possible. When learning, most outings involve a few minutes of riding, and alot of time floating, swimming, and walking. This is normal. However, when you go to the coast, and get in warm, flat, shallow water, with steady ocean wind, you spend much more of your time riding, and no time floating swimming (you can always just stand up and gather yourself). You will walk some until you learn to go upwind, but even the walks on the coast are not bad.

Once you got it down, then you can ride ANYWHERE.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-28-2009, 8:35 AM Reply   
Eder will do.

I tried to learn to kite last summer and let me tell you day one you spend trying not to drowned.
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       04-28-2009, 8:59 AM Reply   
Ugh! I cannot wait to hear back from some of the people that I have emailed! I am aching to try and get addicted! WOooo! Thanks people!

Thanks Andy - I will be calling Barret within the next week.
Old     (pacifichigh)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-28-2009, 9:19 AM Reply   
Kites have changed alot in the last 4 years. I'd recomend getting the newest gear you can afford and go for some type of flat/bow kite or a hybrid. Old School C kites have tons of power but are not that good for learning. I highly recomend Slighshot REVs, tons of lift and depower, killer Slingshot construction. You can pick up a used 08 for a decent price.

First and foremost, take a lesson. Beat up their gear instead of yours and learn how to kite safely for everyone's good!

(Message edited by pacifichigh on April 28, 2009)
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       04-28-2009, 10:51 AM Reply   
Pacific - that is exactly my plan homie!
Old     (element8456)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-28-2009, 1:01 PM Reply   
For winds in Mn for sure get a bow to learn. A slingshot t3 should be a good kite to start out on. Thats what my kite is.
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       04-28-2009, 7:27 PM Reply   
Jack - I just got an email back from Tighe! Wooo! Heck yeah brother!!!

Nintzel my man, I am callin Barret next week, so in all seriousness, if you can hook it up man I would really appreciate it brother!
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-29-2009, 6:54 AM Reply   
Wow a Slingshot kite would be just right for Eder, who knew! ;)
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-29-2009, 8:38 AM Reply   
There is a tight Slingshot crew in MN and any of those guys and gals will def help you get started or point you in the right direction. Both shops have knowledgeable staff to help you too, ask for Peter at Midwest Mt or Larry at Scuba Center.

Hell, I'm the MN kite rep so if you have any questions about gear or who to talk to in that area hit me up anytime.

c.schey@slingshotsports.com

(Message edited by flexnwake on April 29, 2009)
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-29-2009, 8:40 AM Reply   
Eder! If you do a demo or a lesson or something give me a shout! I have wanted to try it for a while now!
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       04-29-2009, 8:43 AM Reply   
I will be emailing you in a bit my man!

Ryan - you know it brother!!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-29-2009, 8:43 AM Reply   
Taylor you in town?
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-29-2009, 9:12 AM Reply   
I am off to Toronto in a couple hours for a shoot but I will be back Friday. Is the weather supposed to be nice soon?
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       04-29-2009, 9:47 AM Reply   
Schey - Thanks for the call homie! I am gonna get on a Kite ASAP!

Mikey - My SS "Anything" will shroud your LF! Boooyahhh!!!!
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       04-29-2009, 1:57 PM Reply   
Looks like I'll be getting out on a kite a TON sooner than I thought!

Thanks Slingshot and thanks Chris!
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-29-2009, 4:44 PM Reply   
No worries broham... Stoked you got the hook up! Let us know how your 1st lesson goes and how it compares to Wakeboarding.