Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (dicky_diehl)      Join Date: May 2007       09-24-2008, 6:37 AM Reply   
ok guys i've been wondering about the difference between the width of wakes.now the slower you go the bigger the wake,the shorter the rope the bigger the wake,so with a wider wake you can run a shorter rope length hence bigger wake right?now that only works if you like to ride wake to wake i've rode behind a couple of boats and this is what i thought.
05 xstar widdest
07 22ssv almost the same
03 mobius lsv a little skinner
07 24ssv not wide at all
all boats fully weighted with stock ballast plus, except the 24ssv it just had the stock gravity (1950)in it.so just wondering if my theory is correct and rate what boats you have been behind.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-24-2008, 7:30 AM Reply   
You are leaving out 2 extremely important factors.
1. Line Tension
2. Wake Firmness
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-24-2008, 7:31 AM Reply   
I can't speak for the other boats, it doesn't work like that, not for an X Star anyways. Yes it does have a wide wake, but I run 75'-80' out at 24 mph. The longer the rope, the more hang time, more set up time, etc.
I don't think that your goal is to run a shorter rope. For me anyways, I like to ride as far back as I can.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-24-2008, 7:32 AM Reply   
speed the boat up if you're having problems on the wider wakes
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-24-2008, 7:39 AM Reply   
Boat beam is also a factor.
Old     (dicky_diehl)      Join Date: May 2007       09-24-2008, 7:51 AM Reply   
i understand that you will get more hang time and have a firm wake thats what i like i'm just wondering what you guys thought about a wide wake being better?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-24-2008, 8:56 AM Reply   
faster speed with more weight = harder wake.

Without starting a pissing match, one of the better wakes you listed is also the widest. Xstar.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-24-2008, 10:43 AM Reply   
I cant believe you didnt put MB in there. The 07 B52 wake is wider than crap
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-24-2008, 10:56 AM Reply   
Boat beam and speed are the starting points -- generally the wider the boat, the wider the wake, but that's not always true as there are tons of variables (hull shape, ballast, etc) that can mess with that... so it's only a general assumption. I would completely disagree with what you said about the wake being bigger at shorter lengths...I'm wondering if I interpreted what you said correctly.

In my experience, the sweet spot is generally about as far back as you can get without the wake washing out (assuming you aren't back so far that you can't clear the wake).

Also, with the boats you mentioned above, I've heard that the two Supra wakes you mentioned are similar widths... both wide. I have the 22 and it is wide, I've heard the 24 is about the same (the beam on the 24 is actually 2" wider than the 22).
Old     (dicky_diehl)      Join Date: May 2007       09-24-2008, 11:23 AM Reply   
cal i tested both the 22 and the 24 the reason i went with the 22 is becuase i thought the wake on the 24 was skinny compared to what i was used too,my old mobius lsv and my buddies xstar witch i liked.
dave i haven't rode behind an mb so thats why it's not on my list. i would like to here your comparsions of what you have rode behind.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-24-2008, 11:53 AM Reply   
Me and my buddy share a B52 and with additional weight the wake is super wide. I dont have a problem clearing it but if your not comfortable on a board its not a great boat for you. Then again we havent ran stock ballast in it since we bought it. I have been behind one with stock ballast and it wasnt as bad. The Xstar is probably my favorite (2008 model) The wake is a bit narrower than our MB and because its naturally more of a rampy wake even with additional ballast its easy to ride 80-85'. Another note to the MB is if its not perfectly weighted its so hard to get a clean wake. Nautigue is also nice if you like narrow wakes and most the team editions dont require a ton of weight to get a nice clean wake. Especially the earlier models. Malibu's are another nice boat with a seemingly perfect wake but my only complaint would be that they get pretty lippy from time to time depending on wedge and weight. I do love the pop you get from this lip but landing on the other transition can be very difficult. Maybe Im used to the ramp on the Xstar I dont know. I just tend to slip out alot behind the BU. I didnt care much for the Mobius but, Ive only rode behind an 06 LSV and it was for one set. Havent had any experience with Supra.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-24-2008, 11:56 AM Reply   
I think our perfect pass may be off a bit too in the MB. Sometimes with all the additional weight in it my buddy pulls me in the mid 26's to 27 and depending on whether were riding the river or the lake (lake around here is much deeper and wider than our river) and I ride at 75-80' behind the MB. 80-85' behind the Xstar/Malibu/Nautigue