Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (hanglooser)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-17-2008, 9:53 PM Reply   
Friends and me thinking about buying a new boat. As Gasprices here in Germany are even higher as in the US, it`s definetly a hard buying fact for us.
On the other hand we really want have big wake, which makes a lot of ballast necessary.
So here`s the question:
How much gas per hour needs a fully loaoded (up to 4000lbs) X-Star with 400hp machine as well as good prop and on the other hand a VLX 08(and older) with an adequate setup?
(...while wakeboarding of course)

Thanks in advance for serious answers.
Greetings from Cologne in Germany.
Siggi

(Message edited by HangLooser on September 17, 2008)
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-17-2008, 9:58 PM Reply   
In my experience if you want a boat which is cheaper on gas you should buy a CC210 or 220. I personally don't like the 220 but they are GREAT on gas. The 210 isn't too bad, certainly better than the VLX or X-star
Old     (hanglooser)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-17-2008, 10:04 PM Reply   
Thanks Daren, but we concentrate for some reasons on the mentionend boats.

by the way: Don`t want to start a boat bashing thread with my question.

Thanks again
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-17-2008, 10:15 PM Reply   
If I had to pick of the two you listed VLX only because of the wedge....

but another vote for 210...its the master of weight-to-wake ratio
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-17-2008, 10:27 PM Reply   
If its just the between the star & VLX then IME the VLX is better on gas than the star but they are both pretty terrible.

(Message edited by Ralph on September 17, 2008)
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-18-2008, 4:01 AM Reply   
Hi Siggi,

Great CC dealers in Europe?! We had the same problem.
Our CC 230 with 390hp is even better on gas then the good old X1 hull. The 210 was even great with fuel consumption.

Talk to Ben (Riverside) in Arnhem Netherlands. He owned several VLX's and now has a 400hp X-star (08). He know more about it.

Btw, are you guys doing some winter riding in Roermond the next few months?? Loved the pull behind Thomas Tige!
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-18-2008, 9:01 AM Reply   
I have heard VLX is about 6gph-8gph depending on ballast. I have read/heard 6-12gph for an Xstar depending on weight and motor.
Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-18-2008, 9:13 AM Reply   
It would be really nice to hear some facts from actual boat owners who run a lot of weight and have calculated out how much it costs them in gas. Like the CIE boys, you guys run a slammed X right? How much to fill up for how long of riding with all that weight? Same for someone running a super loaded VLX?

Its nice to hear opinions but does anyone have any hard facts? Has no one done the calculations? Obviously I'm very interested as well.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-18-2008, 9:26 AM Reply   
If you get a VLX, stick with the Monsoon and add an ACME 1235. I have the Hammerhead with the same prop and I honestly think my '06 with the Monsoon performed just as well to get on plane and consumed less gas.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-18-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
CC 210.
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-18-2008, 3:40 PM Reply   
hey siggi,

x-star (lpg)
we use about 90 +/- 100 liters for an evening.
that is with the LY6 and aprox 1200 kg of ballast.i would say that is about 30-33 ltr an hour.Without ballast it consumes about 23-25 liters an hour.

VLX (lpg)
monsoon 340 with acme 1235 it consumes a little less than the x-star with about the same weight set up.

Both boats do not have any problems with the holeshot the X due the LY6 and the vlx Due the 1235.
Both have awesome wakes but i prefer the X-star.
Not only for the wake but the vlx has fatsacks on the floor while the x-star has them under the seats out of sight.

you are not going to run those on gas do ya??
with the hours you guys make ,you,ll end up selling your houses...
Old     (hanglooser)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-18-2008, 9:53 PM Reply   
Hey Ben,

Thanks for the really detailed information, this is exactely what i was looking for...
Next time i`ll give you a call.

Siggi
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-18-2008, 10:29 PM Reply   
"Not only for the wake but the vlx has fatsacks on the floor while the x-star has them under the seats out of sight."

im not sure what you mean by this ben.

as for what vlx envy says, well, let me just say this,, his boat next to mine feels like a rocketchip out of the whole. ryan, we go back and forth on this but dude even with a 1235 you boat hands down will push more weight than mine and do it with no problem. i think we should run both are boats with weight and calc the gas usage, i think your boat with the 400 hands down will be more efficient under weight than my 340, even reproped.

now let me just say this, my boat with a monsoon and stock prop, we found out what it would take to not get on plane. stock ballast including bow, power wedge all the down, 500 in each locker, 500 in the walkway, 500 more in the bow with 2 people in the bow and 6 in the main cabin area. boat wouldnt plane untill halfway down the mccloud arm in shasta, but when it did, oh snap it was mackin. i know with 1235 it would have planed no prob, but im just sayin for a baseline stock, theres your numbers.
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-19-2008, 12:08 AM Reply   
bryan,
in europe a Vlx does not have the build in floor ballast tanks.they still have those hard tanks.This is becouse of CE bouyency value.
Most boats run on LPG so the storage room in the back isn,t that great,the 2 lpg bottles take up the extra space.

here is a vlx weight set up those same blocks fit in an x-star with 4 lpg bottles.Connected togheter and with a seperate pump & swich
Upload
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-19-2008, 12:14 AM Reply   
Upload