Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (krcwell)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-20-2008, 10:41 AM Reply   
What up all,

I want to get a high 5 for my i/o. I have a 2002 Sea Ray 176 srx with a 3.0l 135hp Mercruiser and Alpha 1. How can I determine the right pitch and size for my motor? I'm not too worried about losing top end, I just want to get the most low end torque out of the 135 as I can. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Keith
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-25-2008, 11:58 PM Reply   
If the prop you have now will run right up to the recommended rpm IE: 4600-4800 rpm you can go with a lower pitch but be warned if you let someone else drive they WILL overrev it. As long as you drive the boat and not just hammer down the throttle youll be fine with a prop that lets you run over the max rpm, just dont do it.
When my boat was new it came with a 23" pitch prop that could barely get the boat out of the hole, I went with a 19" high 5 but since it got thrashed Im running a 18" 4blade alum.
Old     (gawabr190)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-26-2008, 12:10 AM Reply   
I have a 19 ft sea ray with the EFI 5.0 V8. I put the lowest pitch that Hi 5 comes in: 17 p. It has been a great watersports prop. The high 5, to my knowledge, has only 1 size, but various pitches. With your motor, I would recommend the 17 p which will give you the best hole shot, will hold speed better & minimize cavitation while turning. You will lose some speed, but will see gains in virtually all other measures.
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-26-2008, 7:10 AM Reply   
We have had better luck with alum 4 blade on the 3.0L. The High five gets to hard of bite. The alum 4 blade gives a little on bottom end so motor can rev faster. We have had real good luck with the Solas 4 blade