Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-24-2008, 5:01 PM Reply   
So I got a buddy who's VERY unhappy w/ his 07' Moomba GG edition XLV wake.

He's tried backing out some of the weight in the bags and screwing w/ the wake plate. He can't get the wake to quit washing over on one side, no matter what he does. He'll fix the one side, then the other rolls over. He likes to ride at 21.5 behind his boat. He said the only way they can get it to work even close to right is to ride w/o any ballast whatsoever or take the boat about 26. I do think his speedo is off though. As I wanted to ride behind it at 22.5, as that's what I ride behind my Tige. He said I was nuts. I got out on it, and sure enough, 22.5 felt like 26-28 behind my boat. I also noticed 1mph changes in the Perfect Pass seemed like 3mph. It was spooky riding that fast...lol.

At this point he's giving up on the boat and wanting to go to a Nautique or a Malibu. I told him to not get drastic just yet, as I know we can get this thing dialed in w/ some work. I know some of you guys have to have this thing dialed in. Any suggestions?
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-24-2008, 5:11 PM Reply   
I have a friend who ha the GG XLV and uses 5--50# steel plates under each side bag. 5---50# plates under the center bag and a 250 or 300 # bag on the seat thru the middle. that wake was huge.riding with 1/4 to 1/2 wake plate....
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-24-2008, 5:31 PM Reply   
yeah the wake on that boat is actually really nice and big.... you just need to settle your buddy down a bit and spend some time getting it dialed. Here is how I would start
1. Determine how far off your speedo is. Do not believe what is on the dash. Get a hand held GPS and calibrate it. This will probably be most of your issues.
2. Adjust your KDW and NN settings on your perfect pass. This will help reduce those 3mph surges. Others on the board can help on where it should be.
3. How long is your line? Unless you guys are real good you should probably be between 65-75'.
4. Explain to everyone on this board how you have the boat weighted. Try moving some people up front or closer to the driver. If your wake is crumbling you may be a little ass heavy.
5. Get the people in the boat weighted evenly and have the rider sitting in the middle of the wake and move people around until it is even wash or cleanness on each side. With the bigger boats you tend to have more people sitting on the port side cause there is a long bench over there. Well it will always wash out the starboard side and that boat is sensitive to it. Get more people on the other side of the boat.
6. Speed up. There are not that many big boats that you can ride behind with a lot of weight at 21.5 MPH. Maybe if you are totally unweighted, but as you keep adding more and more weight as we all do, you need to speed up. I would bet to say that the majority of people on this board with loaded boats ride between 23MPH and 25 MPH. May be wrong, but I feel pretty safe with that bet.

Good luck and hope you get it dialed. That is a sweet boat...
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-24-2008, 5:56 PM Reply   
Well he's using the factory GG bags w/ the front bag totally full, and last night we dropped the rear bags down about half way. We had the weight inside divided up evenly as there was only the driver and a spotter. NOW that's not to say the bags were perfectly even, as it's hard to tell.

I GENERALLY ride between 75 and 80 on my boat, but I dropped down to 65 on his boat last night b/c of the wash out. Even then, THEY thought that was long on that particular boat... I thought it was about right 4 them.

I figured the hand help GPS was our first bet.

One thing for sure... it's amazing how much narrower that wake is than mine... even if riding at comparable distances.
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-24-2008, 8:08 PM Reply   
DIGGS hit it pretty good. I know ther have been post on here about adjusting their PP. You going to have to weight it down. Fill all the bags and add more in the middle/front. Correct on speeding up, 23-24 when we ride at 80'.... Just keep working with it and you will nail it spot on and will definately like the wake
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-24-2008, 8:11 PM Reply   
Im looking at the 2008 GG XLV.... its a good boat and has a good wake and good surf wake
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-24-2008, 8:13 PM Reply   
tell your buddy to take his dealer out in it. They should be able to dial it in no problem. Just make him realize, it is not his boat! Check and make some adjustments on the things mentioned above and he will be fine. Do keep in mind though, the XLV is not a long line length boat. 65' to 70' feet should be real nice between 22 and 23 mph. With that being said, I've ridden 80 feet behind it at 24.3 mph before. You just have to have the ballast and wakeplate set right.
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-24-2008, 8:50 PM Reply   
get a gps and find out.
Old     (tlatoani)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-24-2008, 9:19 PM Reply   
I ride at 65' and 22mph behind mine. I have 750 in each locker and 600 in the center. I have tried lately with no ballast at all, and the wake just seems to be smaller but similarly shaped. I'm still working on it as well.
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-25-2008, 8:39 AM Reply   
Make sure there is no air in the bags. If there is air in it, it will appear full but cause big problems with the wake.

You will have to ride faster than 21.5 as well, that would be ok without ballast, but with weight, you need to speed up some.

In my 24SSV (same bags, 1950 lbs) I ride at 70' and 24mph. The wake is still clean at 22.8, but I prefer to ride faster. Once you get used to it, I think you will prefer going a little faster. I had a surging problem as well, I just adjusted the KDW setting to the max and have not had any issues since. Use a GPS and try 23.5 with the bags full, NO AIR, and 70-75'. It might seem a little fast at first, but I bet it rocks.
Old     (schira)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-29-2008, 1:51 PM Reply   
I'm looking for a wakeboarding boat, but I’m really new to this whole thing and don't know what to look for. I found a 2004 Moomba Mobius LSV for $30,000.oo and I was wondering if this is considered a good deal or not. The boat’s in perfect shape, only has 73 hours on it, and comes with a killer sound system, an adjustable wake plate to change the size and shape of the wake, Gravity III ballast system. (2 ballast bags in the rear and one in the centre), 4 night time riding lights, and 2 wakeboard racks good for four boards. Also has colour matched swim platform, pop up cleats, chrome rub rails, navigation lights.

Like I said I have no idea what I’m doing or what's really considered a good deal, but I don't want to spend much more than this, but I also do want a decent reliable boat with a good wake on it.
Old     (schira)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-29-2008, 1:54 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old     (littletna)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-29-2008, 3:57 PM Reply   
65' at 24ish seems pretty good for us intermediate riders. My older 20 foot boat was 70ft @ 21 mph. I think the larger boat needs more speed to clean up the wake. Sacks empty or loaded it still cleans up nice the faster you go. We're working with it still. Enjoy your boating anyway!!! It's not the boat.:-)

Upload
Upload