Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-08-2008, 9:13 PM Reply   
I have a metcraft tower (I think...) on my 99 Tige... I believe that is the brand that came OEM back then anyways. If anyone still has an oldschool tower like mine you need to check the nylon straps for the board racks. I hit a wave this weekend and one snapped, board dropped down, left a huge gouge in my engine cover and almost knocked one of my girlfriends out... pretty scary situation since I check the screws holding the straps to the top semi-regularly and never noticed any fraying... I think this could happen with any bungee/nylon strap board rack so everyone should beware of the condition of their stuff. Not mad necessarily but definitely was scary almost having a friend get seriously hurt and damaging the boat...
Just wanted to give everyone the heads up, be careful out there!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-08-2008, 11:11 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear that happened. I think the wakeworld consensus is those metcraft towers are the worst wakeboard towers of all time.
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       07-09-2008, 6:46 AM Reply   
I have to agree with Brett. Worst design ever. How they haven't been sued by someone getting hurt by one of their failed welds or other problems is beyond me.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-09-2008, 3:43 PM Reply   
If the strap snapped, then that is not unexpected on a boat that is pretty close to 10 years old now. If that is all that has happened to that tower, then you are lucky.

Check your straps!!!!
Old     (pennery)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-09-2008, 5:48 PM Reply   
How many Girlfriends do you have?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-09-2008, 5:57 PM Reply   
Even us Tige owners will agree it was the worst tower.

Best thing to do is replace it.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-09-2008, 7:56 PM Reply   
Rpenner... thats classified... haha. I did have a weld break before. I do agree the tower isn't great, monster tower is on my list of things to buy but isn't extremely high right now seeing as Im fresh outta college and just getting established... not ranting about a failed strap after nearly 10 years of sun abuse but just saying everyone with any kind of fabric for a strap, check em out!
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-09-2008, 9:02 PM Reply   
second penny...GIRLFRIENDS, sweet! Thats what I am talking about. Tell them to hold the board...lol

Any strap in the sun will deteriorate sp? Bungies dont last at all.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-10-2008, 8:54 AM Reply   
so, are you allowed to take multiple girlfriends on the boat at the same time? Or do you have to take them out seperately? Seems like when I try to hang out with multiple "girlfriends" it always ends up turning out bad, please let me know how you manage this.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-10-2008, 1:43 PM Reply   
well theres usually a single 'girlfriend' associated with a group of girls... the group accompanies their leader and usually lays out, I gotta hand it to the girl that got hit in the head though, teaching her how to edge, she takes a lickin and keeps on tickin... and no the single girlfriends and different groups do not mix... had to tell one no on this recent camping trip for the sake of keeping my nuts haha

btw I'm still young and stupid... I'm sure this will catch up with me but it's too fun to not give it a try for now haha

(Message edited by wakebordr11 on July 10, 2008)
Old     (stoddardk)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-11-2008, 6:14 PM Reply   
It sounds to me that the tower was fine, just that the 9 year old straps have seen too much sun. I have a '99 Tige 2100i and I replaced all of the straps and bungees last year for about $20 and 2 beers worth of time.
Check out any hiker/outdoor supply company for new parts. Also, try any boy scout shop.

(For what its worth, I have the Metacraft tower, and it does shake while cruising. It has also stood up to everything that we could throw at it.)
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-17-2008, 4:42 PM Reply   
As a '00 Tige owner, I strongly feel that tower should be outlawed. Seriously. You can only bend a paperclip so many times before it breaks.