Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2008

Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-04-2008, 8:20 AM Reply   
well as the title states, inflation sucks!!!

ive been entering the wakestock am comp the past few years and it has always been a great time, but damn its getting to be a ripoff and really im just upset about it, i know the ed. of SBC reads this board , but i just think that the even with gas prices going up and what not and all the money this event makes to raise the prices that much for the riders sucks, and i say this because realistically only about 5% of people really go to this huge event for the wakeboarding, while the other 95% are there just to see bands, and drink beer in a big gated area while extreme sports surrround them but yet have no care for the sport.

a few years ago it was 70 bucks, you got entered in the comp, you got a full weekend pass for you and a friend and some other small swag

next year i think they raised it to 90 or 100 bucks, same thing you get a full weekend pass for you and your friend and some small swag

now this year they want 125 bucks!!! and you dont even get the second weekend pass so yoru friend has to fork out another 55 bucks for it.

i know gas has gone up alot since last year, but with the length of the set you get, and all the money they make at this event from just admission etc etc that hurts that they are hitting the pockets of the people who truly want this event to be a sucess while all the other people paying 10 bucks a beer couldnt give a rats ass if it stopped happening.

sorry for the rant, i just thought that it sucks that they are hitting the pockets of the ams of this event :-(

im sure ill receieve some sort of backlash but i had to let it out, im just dissapointed
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-04-2008, 8:52 AM Reply   
also i dont want to it to seem like im boycotting, i will be entering and going all weekend because i truly do love this event, the riding is honestly unreal.

so every one who does live in Ontario or upperstate New York, I strongly suggest you make it up to this event.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-04-2008, 9:11 AM Reply   
Costs are more likely not attributed to the gas prices....

I think it has to do with the venue, insurance, and cost of the events and bands...

The differential cost of riding your few sets is nominal at best!

I can't go this year as one of my best friends is getting married on the Saturday. Friday I could.. but I am stuck working..
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-04-2008, 10:24 AM Reply   
I think I paid $150 for Nicola and now there is no accomodation left so we can't go anyway. Hope I can get my money back?
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-04-2008, 10:31 AM Reply   
Hey Chris, im not sure what exactly you mean by accomodations, but this event is held on an island just of the downtown core there is hundreds of hotels and even hostels. So I dont think you shoudl have a problem finding a place.

if you do though id be glad to help you out. just let me know :-)

ps. by accom im not sure if you mean the WESTIN HARBOUR which is the big fancy hotel on the water that all the pros stay at, im sure they get a discount i guess. but again, there is a zillion other hotels on spitting distance.

(Message edited by wakeboardnut on July 04, 2008)
Old    110outlet            07-04-2008, 11:15 AM Reply   
The real pain is taking the ferry back and forth that wastes so much time, ive competed 3 yrs in a row, and the parties were awesome 3 yrs ago and then ok and last yr they were pretty lame. Your right about the 5% of people going to watch wakeboarding, I happen to win the chance to watch Rusty try his 1080s last yr on the sunday and from the boat there looked like there was about 300-400 people on the shore watching the finals. I actually cant go this yr but im not to torn up about it, hopefully they revamp the night scene this yr.
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-04-2008, 11:19 AM Reply   
hey Greg, when you gonna swing by cheif and give me a pull behind your new beast!!?
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-04-2008, 12:01 PM Reply   
What are the dates this year? and what city is it being held in?
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-04-2008, 12:21 PM Reply   
Hey Chase tks, I got it sorted. Sort of anyway. Lol. It's always tricky when you have never been to a place before. Always easier the second time around. And cheaper.
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-04-2008, 1:56 PM Reply   
July 24-27

NP Chris, any questions/info needed on Toronto id be glad to help, ill even hook up an x-2 a week before for some clinics!
Old     (bvanhemmen)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-06-2008, 5:13 PM Reply   
I used to go every year from the year they started. I haven't been in a couple years due to work and other commitments so i was gonna go this year with my brother on the saturday. $42 to get in for a single day? Not to mention Go train from oshawa, ferry ride, can't bring anything in. I think i'll take that money and stay at the cottage. Talk about steep. I remember when everything was free, and then when it went up to a decent price. Now it seems they are only out for the $$$$$$$.
Old    d_fresh            07-06-2008, 5:52 PM Reply   
I think the pro's should just stay in Michigan after the Malibu Open, And come to my event July 26 & 27. www.wlwake.com
Old     (ehwake)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-06-2008, 7:05 PM Reply   
hey doug...can a Canadian enter your event?
Old    110outlet            07-06-2008, 8:38 PM Reply   
Doug your malibu boat pic is at wakestock on the website, so its kinda like your already there.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-07-2008, 9:54 AM Reply   
I am on holidays the mon, tues, wed before wakestock... 21,22,23rd of July..

40th X-star is availible for use (1 1/2 hours north of Toronto..150kms

Chase- Was thinkin about it yesterday about going to chief island but with the guests I had over we only managed to get over to swift rapids lock.

BTW- Plenty of cheap lodging in Toronto, you just have to know where and such. Also what is your budget.

plenty of good food is availible with summerlicious event ongoing.

Some places to check out is Spice Route on King West of Spadina. Richtree at the BCE place (yonge/wellington) Craft Burger on King/Brant Street, Borrito Boys on Peter Street.

There are so many places to list...

Have fun in Toronto and try to enjoy the scenery as much as possible. Truely a unique experience for all visitors.