Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-24-2008, 10:53 PM Reply   
Well it looks like I finally got screwed by a customer good, they owe me over 15 K and it looks like they are not going to pay.

It will be a long uphill fight to try to recoup my money so in the mean time I will probably have to get rid of my boat for some fast cash to pay other bills.

Why is it when you are having fun, life gets in the way and the fun flushes down the toilet....

Just thought I would share my sorrow...

Weskel
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-24-2008, 10:57 PM Reply   
if you dont mind me asking...how did are they getting away with that?... hunt them down and seek revenge
Old     (echo_parker)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-24-2008, 11:01 PM Reply   
Keep your head up....maybe it was time for an upgrade, look at it that way. You will never be thrown more then you can handle. You will get back into a boat soon. Remember what comes around goes around, your customer will find his way into a mess someday.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-24-2008, 11:26 PM Reply   
Kelly, look at any possible means to get by besides selling the boat. I didnt have my boat nearly all last summer and I was depressed. Good luck man and hopefully the client will come through. By the way, is there any way to atleast get payments out of the customer? In these circumstances it is easy to get angry, I have found by staying calm and talking things out, maybe you two can come to an amicable solution. I am going through a problem with an X business partner of mine and when I think about what he has been doing...my first reaction is to do a Tony Soprano on him.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-25-2008, 9:20 AM Reply   
Maybe just a bit off topic but this might help:

http://video.stumbleupon.com/#p=ithct48cqw
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-25-2008, 9:33 AM Reply   
kelly. anthony put it best. keep your head up. look at it as an upgrade. if your hungry enough you'll find a way to get another boat. thats just life. for me it always happens before Christmas time. car needing fixing, slow work, dam property taxes. good luck man
Old     (rmdanie)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-25-2008, 10:37 AM Reply   
Thanks for that video link. I loved it
Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-25-2008, 11:22 AM Reply   
Kelly are you in fl construction were suffering the same prob with people not paying
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-25-2008, 2:23 PM Reply   
I feel for you I was in the same situation a few years ago and still haven't full recovered finacially! I feel your pain.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-25-2008, 2:48 PM Reply   
If you sell your boat hopefully you have good friends that will offer up some pulls.

What about replacing your boat with something older/cheaper? There are alot of price options out there.
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-26-2008, 7:12 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the comments, for just a little more background;

I work full time as an aircraft mechanic for the USAF as a civilian and am also in the Air Force reserves. I also have my own business maintaining civilian aircraft, my biggest client was an aircraft charter company out of Destin Florida, I was the Director of Maintenance for the company for over three years.

In the last few months they became slower and slower to pay me for my work completed, when I finally had enough and told them I was no longer going to continue to work until I received payment, which was a couple of weeks ago. I have not received any payment for work since October 15th. They are now all of a sudden questioning the quantity and quality of my work, kinda funny there is a problem with my work now, after I quit.

Long winded I know, but I will continue to try to seek payment, I won't roll over and play dead, but I know it will be hard with me being an individual and they are a corporation with high priced lawyers......

Thanks for listening to my complaining.

Weskel
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-26-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
The one good thing about still being attached to the Air Force I can rent boats from the Yacht club on base, nothing fancy, but they float.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-26-2008, 7:26 PM Reply   
Lien rights are your friend.
Old     (bhutch)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-26-2008, 7:36 PM Reply   
look into a mechanics lien..don't know if it will apply, but might be worth looking into..my brother is an atty..call one they always talk on the phone phone and will tell you if it's worth your/their time..oh yeah...no one is sick/hurt..you'll make it up in no time...good luck
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-27-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   
I know from a Automotive mechanics stand point they have to pay you. If you have a work order that they approved you could get a mechanics lien and repo the plane's you worked on.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-27-2008, 9:31 AM Reply   
Funny story about liens... I thought the poster who originally said that was from Ca. I worked for a government contract and needed a scissor lift rented. Well in Ca they do property liens against the "construction" site and the title and right of entry/occupancy is suspended until all those liens are cleared. Anyhow there ends up being some stupid processing error with the company (who will remain undisclosed) and they actually attempted to put a lien on the stockton/barstow army depot. I couldn't imagine some rental place attempting to put a lien on an active operating military installation. Picture it now an 18 wheeler with tanks on the back getting stopped from some county guy in an orange vest because he has a clipboard in his hand saying not to let anyone on the base. lol I ended up asking the contracting officer about this situation as we shared a laugh about this "situation" she told me they would have the lien dissolved and could potentially tell the rental company to piss up a rope but we're not in the stealing business.

As for weskel's issue man at that same job we worked with a lot of aircraft parts and its amazing the residual effects of a ridiculously inflated captial based industry as it ripples down to the small business owner. I know a lot of people who peddle parts and man it can be shady (not implying you are of course). There's bad business practices in every industry the high dollars of aircraft seems to be one of the worst. My grandfather owned an aircraft painting business and used to get a lot of tools as payment. Another friend was forced into personal bankruptcy from a helicopter repair business from basically your same story. Anyways keep your head up man you'll get it worked out. Screw these guys bitching about quality of work it's work. You have a rate they agreed to pay now they need to pony up the cash.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-27-2008, 11:49 AM Reply   
If they weren't paying you, chances are they are cutting back in maintenance now. Call the FAA and have them pay them a surprise visit. Those boys always find something anyways. I was in your profession for a long time before getting out. Loved the mechanical end, but the business end it total BS. I'm surprised there aren't more airplane crashes. There's something to be said for the engineering design quality that goes into an airplane, when they stay in the air after lack of the required maintenance. Good luck recouping the money dude.
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-27-2008, 8:50 PM Reply   
hummm im goin from montreal to acapulco thins sunday should i be scared now !!???