Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-08-2007, 5:36 PM Reply   
so it seems that god maybe doesn't want me wakeboard or that i just have some of the worst luck ever when it comes to gear! i just broke my 5th board this season on saturday. that makes 1-07 Shane, 3-07 Naturals, 1-07 Gator Legend. and am also on my 5th pair of bindings.

i'm just curious to see if anyone else has experienced this situation in one season? if i break boards with this much ease, i have to imagine that the pros go through boards like nothing. i mean i'm a decent sized 205 lbs, and can launch a pretty good sized front flip or raley, but the pros go wayyyy bigger on almost every trick that they do. i know that they have an endless supply of these things. does anyone know if they break a lot of gear or am i just jinxed?
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-08-2007, 5:42 PM Reply   
i've found that if you have a board breaking problem, your best bet is riding a hyperlite. if anything i would stay away from liquid force or obrien.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-08-2007, 5:46 PM Reply   
that's what i've been told, just picked up a 3DS this morning..
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-08-2007, 5:48 PM Reply   
i was just really surprised when i broke the Gator Legend after two weeks. that seemed like a really durable board.
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-08-2007, 6:19 PM Reply   
How have you been breaking your boards? landing funny or what? How are you breaking bindings?

We have 3 hyperlite boards with hyperlite bindings, no breaking of any sort.
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-08-2007, 6:42 PM Reply   
You are not the only one. Everyone is different but pros break tons of stuff. Some of those guys break a board a week and others only a couple a year. Hyperlite does seem to be the strongest. Something to think about too. Two weeks on a board that you ride 4 days a week and launch every trick high and deep into the flats is more punishment then most boards will ever see. I know that when I am riding well during peek season I break more stuff.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-08-2007, 6:45 PM Reply   
two were raleys and one front flip. those three were all flat/good landings...just really big, into the flats. the other two were tail heavy landings...just some grabs. the bindings - three were Cells...two were lining tear outs, not clean ones that i could just put back in. the other one some of the inserts that hold the base plate to the binding ripped out. the other set were Xenon's...the heel air pocket blew out on a big raley. actually i had a pair of 3DS bindings break last summer...the over lap for the closed toe was tearing apart from the binding.
Old     (shagman)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-08-2007, 6:56 PM Reply   
The 3DS is the only board that I haven't had break on me. It's even the DNA core, which is supposed to be more fragile. Any other board I have had I have ended up breaking.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-08-2007, 8:20 PM Reply   
ive gone through five pairs of hyperlite bindings in a year

4 pairs of eras completely shreded down the sides, and just recently a pair of 3ds on the sides of both boots, in the past ive broken three boards, ripped inserts out leaving a big hole in the board, delaminated byerlys all the way down the side and most impressive was i took my board in for a small delam issue to get fixed and they called me telling me i had an 8 inch crack in the core running legnth wise
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-08-2007, 10:50 PM Reply   
Hijack- Nick buddy what have you been up to? Where you at now Pm or something...
Hijack over
Jay- Hype is definitely your best bet broken 3 LF boards and 1 hype board(roam) try em out if you have any chance it's with hype.
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-08-2007, 11:08 PM Reply   
Especially '06 and '07 Hyperlite pro models with the ABS sidewall are your best bet. They are way heavier than others, but if you want durable that's the way to go.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-09-2007, 8:42 AM Reply   
Well Rusty has his Hyperlite boards specially made because he crushes them like bugs. If you are serious, see if you can get your hands on one of his. Call them.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-09-2007, 9:10 AM Reply   
CWB also has that option, basically its just glassed stronger. Lyman destroys a board every 4th set, his new board is supposedly designed to handle it. Also, perhaps try a Slingshot, you land tail heavy and the things just flex out.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-09-2007, 9:17 AM Reply   
i talked to the slingshot rep and of all the boards released in 07 only two have broken, which is nothing especially when that includes the pros and hitting rails
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-09-2007, 9:31 AM Reply   
Ryan, good idea...might have to do that. I'm hoping that I can go a month with two boards. Although, with the temps we've been having in MN I might be able to ride another two months!
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-09-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
I broke 3 naturals this season...first one raley to blind, second roll to blind, 3rd one krypt. All the ones I broke was from landing tail heavy.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       10-09-2007, 10:34 AM Reply   
Jay, All boards break, all brands break. IMO it does not have to do as much with a board or a brand, but how it was pressed some are better than other (with in the same company). I have broke boards from all brands, some boards last longer than others. Even if its the same board by the same company. In the passed I have had a board last me 2 sets than the next one I get lasts a few months. Same company same mold. Don't buy in to the if you buy this brand it won't break. It will. If you break boards you break boards, thats how it goes. You will have to deal with it or change your riding style. (or in my case drop some pounds haha) Find a board you like and ride it and stick with it. Cuz you will never find a unbreakable board. (and if you think you do give it to me for a few sets, I will prove you wrong, 250lbs vs 8lbs, I will win everytime j/k) Good luck bro
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-09-2007, 11:15 AM Reply   
BG, i was hopin' you'd chime in on this issue sometime. don't think changing my riding style will ever happen, lol. i've tried to go out there and not throw something...but once the adrenaline gets pumping my brain more or less turns off, and it the inevitable happens. basically the only reason i'm changing board types so much is because the shops run out of whatever i have/want.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-09-2007, 11:35 AM Reply   
they prolly hate you dude...hahaha j/k...that's good tho that ur local shops are still hookin you up with goods after you destroy them...and that BG guy trashes boards...
Old     (trewblu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-09-2007, 11:42 AM Reply   
have you been riding rails to much
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-09-2007, 12:04 PM Reply   
If they have replaced 5 boards, I doubt he is hitting rails. Sounds like he is breaking them landing hard in the flats.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-09-2007, 12:10 PM Reply   
never hit a rail...really want to!
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       10-09-2007, 12:20 PM Reply   
Jay, I was not saying not to try diffrent board. Try as many boards as you want. All I was sayn was don't change because you want a board that won't break. Find something you like (thats in stock) and ride it! Plus Chicks dig it when guys break boards! Its makes you seem tuff! hahaha
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-09-2007, 12:23 PM Reply   
MR. KONG your one tuff guy than.
Old     (pogi)      Join Date: May 2006       10-09-2007, 12:25 PM Reply   
You should try the new Lyman board and see if you like it. It is supposed to be LF's tuffest board.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-09-2007, 2:05 PM Reply   
believe me, if i had an endless supply of Naturals and/or Shanes...i would definitely be riding them.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       10-09-2007, 2:16 PM Reply   
Jay, Check and see if you can get a triple lay board. As a few ppl said they do make them and they do last longer.(trust me) I don't know what the story is on them with sellin em to ppl, but its worth a shot. Where on the board are you breaking them?
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-09-2007, 2:54 PM Reply   
friggin' all over. but the majority of the breaks are in between my feet...more towards just infront of my rear binding. i will definitely look into the extra layer of glass. my dealer actually mentioned that a while back.
Old     (aliw2w)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-10-2007, 8:05 AM Reply   
Jay. You only had Gator Legend for like 2 weeks. Hopefully the 3DS will work for you this time. Otherwise we will see you soon in the shop.
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-10-2007, 8:45 AM Reply   
Come on now Jay you told me you ran your boards over with your truck so you could get one with some new graphics!

Kidding, good luck with the 3DS, hopefully we get some more time on the water. I had to turn on the heat in my house this morning, very depressing.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-10-2007, 10:13 AM Reply   
Allie - I KNOW! i didn't even wanna show up to the shop. shaun just shook his head, lol. I actually got the 3DS from Midwest. i was told you didn't have anymore boards there, and he had to check to see what he could do. so i figured i would just buy another one so whenever the inevitable happens i can keep going with out missin a beat.

Corey - I do dig the new graphics on this board. lol, if i get a triple layered board i'm gonna need a bigger truck! I'm definitely gonna get some more time out on the water. Friday and Saturday are looking good.
Old     (aliw2w)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-10-2007, 11:10 AM Reply   
Jay- We so have 3DS in.. There just at the other warehouse since we are getting all the snow stuff in. Yea that is how sean is when you walk in the 5th time bring in a broken board.

Corey- I so agree with you that he ran over all the boards so he could get a new graphic
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-10-2007, 11:14 AM Reply   
I second the 3ds as being a strong board. I weigh 235 and go pretty big on raileys and front flips and although I have broke one 3ds, it took me two seasons to break it. It broke on an under rotated front flip and broke right at the back foot. It seems like boots have been my weakness lately (broke 3 pair in the last year).

I personally don't look for boards/bindings that are super light at the cost of strength. How much difference can 2 pounds make on a board whe the board and I weigh 250. Just my though on the subject.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-10-2007, 11:48 AM Reply   
hey jay...i'd take a solid look atta slingshot...they're built to last for sure...they're well put together boards...
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-10-2007, 11:57 AM Reply   
Ali - that's what i meant...you didn't have any in the shop that day. if you don't have any more Legends i'm hoping to either get an Era or the Gonzales from you...I think you have both of those. i believe i used up all of your Naturals?

sooner or later i'll have to try out a slingshot.
Old     (aliw2w)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-10-2007, 3:05 PM Reply   
Jay- We have all of those boards in. Just call up a head so we can have one at the story when you want to come in. Yea you have to your hand on a slingshot.
Old    110outlet            10-16-2007, 1:46 PM Reply   
Why dont you ride longer so you go w2w on more tricks, the slingshot boards i saw are pretty thin, looks like big guys could snap them easy, and the cells most people rip out the linings. My buddy as had great luck with hyperlite, hes ripped the inserts out boards a few times and overlays on 3DS and gotten a new product everytime if they couldnt repair.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-16-2007, 2:13 PM Reply   
Jason, I have to disagree with you on slingshot. Just because the boards are thin, doesn't mean they are going to break easier. Stiff boards can only flex so much, they eventually flex past their bending stress and snap. Because the Slingshot boards flex so much, you would have to pretty much bend them in half to break them. Also, despite the thinness of the boards, they are about 1/4" of fiberglass except the raised parts where the core is. One of the guys at TSR has been riding a slingshot for a while. He is also not a small guy, but is really good on the cable. He has been riding his board all summer, and hitting rails without one breaking. Most of the regulars at TSR break a board every other week.
Old     (waketrix101)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-16-2007, 2:44 PM Reply   
if you had hyperlite that wouldn't happen!
Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-16-2007, 3:04 PM Reply   
There has NOT been one SLINGSHOT board broken off of wake riding. I've let some some of the boys who go as big as any ride the boards and they will not snap.
And I wasn't sarcastic when I was saying that about having zero boards broken from wake riding!

Don't think any other company can say that!
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-16-2007, 3:12 PM Reply   
slingshot SON!
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-16-2007, 3:28 PM Reply   
yeah i'm not so sure i like the 3DS....but i'll hang on to it for the rest of the season.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-16-2007, 7:22 PM Reply   
hyperlite may be strong, but it seems that if you look at a sub 6 too hard it will snap.

I second leo. brittle things break easily.

Check out some c dubb plattys or a Ronix DHV1/CSV1.

(Message edited by hawk7 on October 16, 2007)
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-31-2007, 4:58 AM Reply   
SON OF A BEACH!!! that didn't take long. the 3DS lasted about 4 weeks (maybe 8 or so days of wakeboarding). i even moved the rope out 10 more feet to 85'. looks like i'm gonna have to give a Slingshot a try...that or a SubVI.
Old     (aliw2w)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-31-2007, 9:53 AM Reply   
hahaha... Good job Jay..
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-31-2007, 12:43 PM Reply   
Geez Jay- how many have you been through this year?! I still love my Natural and Xenons! Are you still getting out this season? I got a dry suit man- so give me a ring if you need riders and want a WARM ride. I put my boat away this weekend through... bmmer. YOu are going HUGE though dude and that's going to take its toll on any board. Later!
Old     (rob_kc)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-31-2007, 12:57 PM Reply   
Agree with the slingshot, even though we had a team rider break one this year at KCW. Of course he was gaping the A frame and, broke every board that he stepped in to this year. I think 8-10 boards total. The slingshot seemed to hold up the longest to all the others that he destroyed. Riding cable I see all kinds of riders tear stuff up. I have pretty good luck w/ 1 board a year and am hitting rails/kickers a few thousand times a year. I think that alot of how a board wears is how its rode by that individual. Some people just have the ability to shread a board in no time at all. I feel bad for the pocket books of those who do(jay). Its seems to me that the same goes for all bindings as well. I have not yet broke a binding from boarding specificly. laces and lace hooks always crap out in about a year though..... Anyways, yes to slingshot. I was really impressed with the product. The board specificly!
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-01-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
Hey Will - yeah i'm still gettin out there like twice a week. if end up getting my boards replaced soon, i will definitely be going out some more. still waiting to hear from The-House on the status of my Legend. hopefully something will get done soon.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       11-01-2007, 11:03 AM Reply   
Solid Jay!! As I said before they all brake. Just be happy with a board and ride it. What I used to do was buy a board like this time of year thats last years model. You should be able to get one pretty good price. Keep a back up with you at all times. (thats what I still try to do) If one brakes ride the other one, when that brakes you should have your new one and send the the broke on in. Its like a never endin cycle. If ppl knew how many board I have really broke since I started wakeboarding they would crap them selfs! It is just the way it is. But I make sure I always have a board so know one really knows. When ppl ask me how many I have broke I always say "How many have you seen me brake?" they give me that answer and I say "thats how many, its weird, I only brake boards when you are around."hahaha Good luck big guy. Time to look in to a triple lay.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-01-2007, 11:42 AM Reply   
BG, that was the plan...except for i either broke my back-up too fast, or the other one is just taking too long to get back. lol, i might have to go to a 3 board rotation.
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-01-2007, 12:35 PM Reply   
i have one of rustys boards signed i might be willing to sell.
Old     (jetpilotz)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-01-2007, 2:05 PM Reply   
11 years, 0 broken boards
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-01-2007, 2:37 PM Reply   
7 years, 0 broken boards
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-01-2007, 2:39 PM Reply   
Of course I do weigh only 160 lbs (wet). He, he, he.

A lot of it is technique, too. There are guys out there that just break boards. Anybody over 200lbs that rides hard is going to be hard on equipment. That's just the way it is. There may be a few things you can do to lighten the load, but I'd do like BG and carry a spare.
Old     (aliw2w)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-01-2007, 4:14 PM Reply   
Jay... We have some Legends. Just call up the shop so we can get you one over here. What sz did you want again??
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-01-2007, 4:26 PM Reply   
8 years, 1 broken board...and it wasn't even mine, right frew?
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-02-2007, 9:54 AM Reply   
One of our friends broke two in a week one LF one Hype both from casing the wake on a loaded X Star.
Old     (clay_fraley)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-02-2007, 8:44 PM Reply   
Ive broken 2 abosolutes 1 platty absolute with less than 30 minutes of riding time on it, and 1 transcend, and 3 pairs of bindings! haha, I do evertyhing out in the flats though, I finally started to do some of my stuff wake 2 wake though and that helped a lot!
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-03-2007, 12:35 PM Reply   
decided to swap the broken 3ds to a slingshot recoil. so far i like it...i really wasn't able to give it a good test. i was friggin freezin. i really like the pop this sucker has.