Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-30-2007, 2:41 PM Reply   
I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of lighting hitting a wakeboard tower? I haven't. They are made of aluminum, but I was wondering if the fiberglass would insulate the boat and reduce the chance. My wife and I got caught in a bad storm and I was really worried on the way to the dock.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-30-2007, 2:42 PM Reply   
The titan towers aren't aluminum. Not sure if the fiberglass would help being in such close proximity to the strike if it were to hit the tower.
Old    walt            08-30-2007, 3:15 PM Reply   
There's no doubt in my mind that boats are a bad place to be during a lightning storm W or WO tower.
Old    walt            08-30-2007, 3:18 PM Reply   
http://www.cdc.gov/nasd/docs/d000001-d000100/d000007/d000007.html
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-30-2007, 5:25 PM Reply   
....a few years ago I was fishing and a thunderstorm was approaching......my graphite fishing rod started buzzing......what the hell is that I thought ...and threw the rod to the ground...it stopped buzzing. Then I picked it up again and it started buzzing again with storm approaching.....I got the heeby jeebies cranked up the motor and high tailed out of there! (and I wasn't drinking)......so yeah lightning could strike anything me thinks!
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-30-2007, 5:31 PM Reply   
I head for cover for sure in a storm and am always carefull when the weather approaches....but
How come though, with all these towers running around, no one on wakeworld has a real lighting story with pictures of damage to the boat?
How come the 50 boats morred in the marina never get hit?
Old    walt            08-30-2007, 6:03 PM Reply   
I had a similar situation out on the ocean while salmon fishing. It was really foggy and started to rain a little then the thunder started.
The VHF antenna started to buzz. I told my friend I thought the lightning was really close and we should leave.

He started telling me that you can tell when it's getting close because your hair will stand up. I took a closer look at him and sure enough his hair was standing up. Needles to say we headed in.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-30-2007, 7:46 PM Reply   
Not lighting, but I have been shocked the tower while floating under some high tension power lines. My elbow touched the bare aluminum mount and ZAP. It was nothing severe, but I definately felt it.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-31-2007, 7:26 AM Reply   
I have had two experiences. One, my wife was getting ready to ride. There was some rumbling off in the distance, but we thought nothing of it. She was standing on the swim platform, and I noticed her hair was going straight up. We pushed her in the water(to break the arc) and proceeded to drop the pole. We headed to shore in a hurry. I am no expert, but I have heard that if your hair is standing up, you are about to get struck. Lightnign can start from the ground up.
The second more recent account was when we were motoring into a dock. A storm caught us and we were hauling back in the rain. It was thundering real bad. I had the radio on, and all of a sudden we heard a crack(from lighting) and the stereo stopped playing. It was never the same after that day. You would have to put in a cd and eject it a few times before you could get it to play. I am not sure if we caught some current or what, but it was scary.