Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 08, 2007

Old     (sgboarder)      Join Date: May 2007       06-28-2007, 11:11 AM Reply   
I have been wakeboarding for several years and have never owned my own board. I am looking at getting a new board and don't know what to look for. I want to get a really good board that will help me improve the most. I am 5'10" and weigh 185 lbs. I am good at jumping, but I don't know much tricks. My goals this summer are to get a tantrum down and do 180's and 360's. I think that I am going to get a Hyperlite or O'brian board. What should I look for in a board and/or what board would be a good idea for me to get. What size should I get?
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-28-2007, 11:16 AM Reply   
LF Axis 139
Old     (sgboarder)      Join Date: May 2007       06-28-2007, 11:23 AM Reply   
Thanks for your input. I'll look at that board. What have people liked about the closed toe bindings. Are they worth getting, or should I stick with an open toe?
Old     (power_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-28-2007, 11:26 AM Reply   
Hyperlite State 135
Old     (sgboarder)      Join Date: May 2007       06-28-2007, 12:19 PM Reply   
So I've been looking, and I have decided that it is between the Murray and the 3DS. I have also decided that I will either get the Murray bindings or the drive bindings, depending whether I wand closed to or open toe. What do y'all think?
Old     (jcstudebaker)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-28-2007, 12:25 PM Reply   
Hyperlite Movement, Or HY Lavelle (Dean Lavelle Rocks)> Flight 69 is a good choice too
Old     (_jason_)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-28-2007, 12:43 PM Reply   
I absolutely love my Murray CT! You wont be disappointed in them. I rode those for a season and now im riding the ronix cell's (CT) Its all preference though about the CT bindings.
Old     (blazer)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-28-2007, 12:48 PM Reply   
Check out the O'brien Natural. I haven't heard anything bad about it yet. For your size, I'd stay with anything over 140. And go with the closed toes.
Old     (sgboarder)      Join Date: May 2007       06-28-2007, 2:19 PM Reply   
Thanks for your input. I have a hook up for Hyperlite, so I think that I am going to get the Murray board and I will either get the Murray bindings or the drive bindings. I will get prices on them tomorrow and will decide for sure then. Thanks again.
Old     (twoten)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-28-2007, 2:23 PM Reply   
the murray is a nice, smooth and predictable board. I bought one this year and love it. Go with the matching murray bindings (which I also bought) and you are golden... and flat broke
Old     (mikested)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-28-2007, 7:04 PM Reply   
I'm trying to pick out a board myself and its pretty complicated with all the options out there.

Does anybody have an idea of what a 144pound and 5'6ft person should get? Something thats a bit of an all around board. I bought a CWB Sol last year but its a 141 and I am pretty sure its way to big for me. I guess thats what I get tho for going to Dicks sporting goods but as a first timer its hard to know these things till after the fact.

Thanks in advance for any input! Mike
Old     (wake_to_wake)      Join Date: May 2007       06-28-2007, 7:14 PM Reply   
can you do back rolls because i cant do tantrums but i can do back rolls their much easier i think
Old     (sgboarder)      Join Date: May 2007       06-29-2007, 8:47 AM Reply   
I can't do either really Jack. I started to do tantrums, but have only landed one(about 3 years ago) and haven't gone much since. I have only tried one back roll but it was pretty sweet. I let go of the handle when I tried and almost made it around. I did try one more time right after, but I did more of a helicopter. I just got a boat so I will have many more opportunities to go and learn to do both hopefully.
Old     (sgboarder)      Join Date: May 2007       06-29-2007, 8:50 AM Reply   
I know how you feel Mike. I am almost as lost as you are. With your size you could probably get the smallest board of any given model though, unless others will use it that are bigger.
Old     (mikested)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-29-2007, 3:44 PM Reply   
im thinking a 134 or 135, anything smaller prob isnt the right size for me tho right? most 128's and 130's are kids boards right? Sorry if that seems like a really dumb question, i'm just really new.

But yea, I will keep the CWB 141 Sol w/ the L/XL bindings for my friends to use. I also have a size 8.5 foot so I am totally on the wrong size board. But I figure spending the time to look around and really get the right board is only going to make things alot better in the long run
Old     (pureblue)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-29-2007, 4:25 PM Reply   
Has anyone tried the new LF witness? I was just checking that out on their site and it looked pretty sweet.
Old     (sgboarder)      Join Date: May 2007       06-29-2007, 4:53 PM Reply   
I agree mike. I want to get another board so the others that I take boarding can use it, and I can keep mine for myself. I think around 135 would be perfect for you.