Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 08, 2007

Old     (lakepirate)      Join Date: May 2007       06-28-2007, 1:50 AM Reply   
So, picking up my '05 Wakesetter on FRI (first boat, can't effin wait) and wanted to take it out this weekend and get a feel for the whole process i.e. towing, unloading, loading, driving, etc.) I was thinking about taking it out this weekend to Lake Pyramid, as it is about an hour from my home town of Palmdale. I wanted to know the condition of the lake, namely (and most importantly) is the water clean, is it crowded on Sundays, and the wakeboarding conditions. Also, if anyone wants to throw in some info on some lakes that are in So Cal that are scenic, have great camping, and are good for wakeboarding, please let me know. Thanks in advance everyone!
Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-28-2007, 4:53 AM Reply   
Patrick,

There is a book out there called California Lakes Guide or something like that. It has all the infomation on the lakes like size, location, if you can ski, map, & much more. I think it runs like $20 or so. It would be a good investment to find lakes.

As far a camping last I was at Pyramid they had a dirt lot which they called a camp ground. Beuna Vista has a nice campground but a very small and nasty water lake.

Hope this info helps you out.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-28-2007, 6:31 AM Reply   
Patrick, the book is called Recreation Lakes of Calif. it is really helpful. we used it to plan camping and houseboat trips to prolly over 50 lakes in CA through the '90s enjoy that new boat!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-28-2007, 9:05 AM Reply   
all the lakes in this area will be crowded right now on the weekends. your best bet, is to get there as soon as they open. especially if you are new to the boating scene. the ramps can get really busy after 9 am, and you dont want to be getting frustrated with a ramp full of people.
check out castaic (jet skiers in one spot only), Piru (no jet skiers allowed, but smallest of the 3), or Pyramid (jet skiers everywhere) for this area. good luck, and congrats on your purchase!
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-28-2007, 10:25 AM Reply   
Be there well before the gate opens for the lineup. Unfortunately, it will be a madhouse on the weekend, maybe not the best time to learn the ropes. Pyramid is a nice lake, but conditions will be done by 9 or 10, which is typical for most socal lakes.

Midsummer is simply tough on all the lakes down this way.
Old     (peterslc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-28-2007, 1:55 PM Reply   
Palmdale, represent! Pyramid isn't the greatest by any means, mainly cuz they don't pen up the jetskiers. As Flux was saying, get there early, there will be a line to get in. Then again, everywhere you go in SoCal you need to get up and go if you want any good water. We basically gave up on the day trips to castaic/pyramid and head up to Buena Vista for the weekends, about 1.5hr tow from Palmdale. It's got great water camping sites, can leave your boat in the water at night, etc. Gotta reserve 15wks in advance though. Check out Flux's profile pic, it's from BV. If you're looking for even better, you'll need to drive. We try and hit up Nacimiento a couple times a year, 3.5-4hr tow though. And they're lowering the lake levels for the next few years for dam repair. San Antonio is near Naci, but never been. Havasu is pretty hit or miss with the wind, and ~4.5-5hr drive. Damn, I wish I lived in NorCal!
Old     (beef)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-28-2007, 2:28 PM Reply   
We go to San Antonio about once a month. We love it. Not to scenic, but if you like rolling hills filled with oaks and cows, and camping on the shore it's the place to be. It's getting crowded due to Naci's decreasing level.

We also hit up both Castaic and Pyramid, but not sure which we like better. We were just out at Pyramid and the conditions, at about 9.30, were very windy, and about 3 foot swells. We did not experience a line to get in, but the jet skiers were lined up about 20 deep at 7.45am. The ramp is fairly large, but I would hit up the main ramp at Castaic for some practice. It's bigger, and if you have any issues, there is always a lifeguard/ sheriff there to help (We've had to use them for a jump).

Anyway, congrats, good luck, take your time, and welcome to the family.
Old     (angrygolucky)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-28-2007, 3:00 PM Reply   
I agree that Castaic's ramp is good for beginners. I went out there for my first handful of launches until I felt comfortable going elsewhere.
Water conditions on weekends now though suck. Its totally blown out and choppy by 930. Next time I'm going on a weekend day will be at the crack of dawn.
Anyone know how piru is compared to castaic?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-28-2007, 3:25 PM Reply   
"Anyone know how piru is compared to castaic?"

same conditions, but smaller lake. actually, the last few times I have been out, it has been crap by 8:30. I am going to have to start getting there at 5:30, or whenever sunrise is. being on the water at 6:30, does not leave good water for four people. there has been quite a few powerturners out early as well. too bad. I am jealous of the people who can get out regularly during the week...
Old     (angrygolucky)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-28-2007, 4:34 PM Reply   
My work schedule varies. I hope there will be a stretch where I'll be able to do a few weekdays!