Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-26-2007, 5:52 PM Reply   
I just had my trailer completely redone by DHM (sand blast, repaint, over-haul brakes, added caster wheels to the back) so I am dialed in except for what to put on top of the fenders.

I have noticed from the 1000's of pictures on wakeworld that some have grip-tape type material, standard "mastercraft" grip material that came with the trailer and some people have added diamond plating.

Any advice for me on what has worked best for your trailer? Form and function are important.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-26-2007, 6:05 PM Reply   
Get the diamond plate that actually wraps over the lip of the fender...it will last forever and you won't get any paint wear from climbing in the boat.
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-27-2007, 7:40 AM Reply   
I used Gator Grip. The material stays in great shape, is soft, and gives traction if you need to step on the fender to check out the boat.
Old     (calcio)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-27-2007, 9:17 AM Reply   
Diamond plate for sure. Looks nice. Adds some bling to the trailer. I think Dhm has DP availible...

http://www.dhmtrailers.com/online/home.php?cat=127
Old     (malibu_monkey)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-27-2007, 10:23 AM Reply   
Hey Jason, I'm thinking of doing a complete overhaul also. About how much did that run you?
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-27-2007, 12:26 PM Reply   
I also used gator grip.. Helps for when young ones from slipping from getting in/out of the boat. Easy maintance.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-27-2007, 1:37 PM Reply   
I should have just had DHM do it, but I didn't even think about it and they are a good 2.5 hours from my house. I am leaning towards the diamond plating, but the gatorgrip looks like it has better traction.

Monkey,

The overhaul cost me about $2K out the door. Sand blasting, color change, rebuild of coupler, bearings, rewire, caster wheels, rebuild the bunks and carpet.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old     (outbackls)      Join Date: May 2004       06-27-2007, 2:59 PM Reply   
Jason,
We have the standard grip tape on our Boat Mate trailer and it works fine. I think I read on here some time ago that some people had a rust through situation on the top of their fenders because the diamond plate would allow water to be trapped under it. Just thought I would throw that out there since you just went through the expense of having your trailer re-done. Diamond plate does look a lot better than grip tape or gatorgrip.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-27-2007, 3:25 PM Reply   
get some gator-grip from chris (always on these boards).
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-27-2007, 4:11 PM Reply   
Thanks Jeff, I never thought about that. Luckily for me I have fiberglass fenders, not sure why they are fiberglass, but that should not cause me a problem.

Has anyone had trouble with Gator Grip peeling off? I was constantly having issues with the stock mastercraft grip tape peeling off.

(Message edited by phatboypimp on June 27, 2007)