Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (lakepirate)      Join Date: May 2007       05-16-2007, 3:16 AM Reply   
OK, so after months and months of searching, doing research, getting financing in line, I think I found the boat I'm going to purchase. I am curious how the initial process works now. Specifically, here's some things I'm curious about.

1. Since he still owes money on the boat, and therefore doesn't have the title, does he get the money, or does it go directly to the company that holds the lien?

2. How does sales tax/registration work? I live in California, so how much do I have to pay? Any way to get a break on sales tax?

3. Should I get insured before I bring it home?

If there's anything else you think I should know about the exchange process, please feel free to share. Thank you in advance everybody.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-16-2007, 6:03 AM Reply   
1) If he owes less then you are paying they will most likely issue two checks. One check to the finance company and one check to the seller. The finance company will then send the title to you. Depending on where you live this may be a problem because you will still need the original owner to sign off on the title which caused some back and forth mail for me.

2) Sorry, don't know.

3) I would. Most insurance companies give you a 30 day grace period but if something happens in that first few days it looks a little shady when you call up asking for coverage while you are making your first claim.

What are you buying?
Old     (zeus12)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-16-2007, 6:10 AM Reply   
Sales tax varies in every state based on if the boat is new or used, bought from private party or dealer, and if its an in state or out of state transaction.
Old     (jcurtis)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-16-2007, 8:13 AM Reply   
Patrick,

1. If you can, go to the bank that still holds the note on the boat and do the transaction there.
2. The DMV website has the sales tax breakdown, only way to reduce is to say you paid less for the boat than you actually did
3. Like evilone said, go get insurance, it makes towing it home for the first time less stressfull

Congrats and good luck
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-16-2007, 11:56 AM Reply   
1. If possible, have the current owner pay his loan off first. then you can get the title directly from him. If not, joe's idea is the next best.
2. don't know.
3. yes.