Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-30-2007, 7:53 AM Reply   
I know this question has probably been asked and solved but looking through the search board was a pain so I thought I would ask anyway.

I took our 2005 SAN out for the first time this season and the pefrect pass would not read any speed at all. It just sat at zero the whole day. We ran it with RPMs but I would prefer to do speed. Any suggestions? We checked the readers on the bottom of the boat and they seemed to be fine.

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions! Thanks!
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-30-2007, 8:00 AM Reply   
Check wiring connections on the sender and to the control module. You can spin the paddle wheel on land and see if it reads. I've had twigs lodge in and jam the wheel.
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-30-2007, 8:05 AM Reply   
I don't believe there is a paddle wheel on this boat, just a water intake it looks like. But the connections could be a good place to start. Any idea what would cause that? It hasn't moved from the garage all winter.
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-30-2007, 8:05 AM Reply   
Also, the non digital speedometer works just fine.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-30-2007, 8:20 AM Reply   
PP uses a paddle wheel for it's speed control input. Look under your boat for a 2 inch black, round plug, with a little wheel in the middle of it. You can remove them from the inside of the boat.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-02-2007, 2:33 PM Reply   
Like Peter said, it is probably the paddle wheel. Crawl under the boat while it is on the trailer, look at all the things poking through the hull. Identify and ignore the ones that are water intakes (probably brass). There will be one that is probably black plastic, an outer flanch about three inches in diameter with a inner diameter of about 1" or so.

Inside this inner diameter should be a little paddle wheel. The lower tips of the paddle hang down and get turned by the water flowing by. Reach up and see if you can turn the paddle wheel.

If it won't turn freely then figure out what is jamming it. It is not unusual for some tiny critter to decide to makes its home there.

It is also possible that the paddle wheel is missing, which means it got broken off at some point. They can be replace without too much effort. Note that the inner portion of the paddle wheen assembly can be removed from inside the boat. I believe that you need to remove it in order to replace the paddle wheel.

Rod
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-02-2007, 2:50 PM Reply   
Thanks! I will take a look this weekend!