Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (smylie)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-14-2007, 9:34 AM Reply   
I am trying to talk my dad into upgrading to a SAN form our 2000 mobius. What are the differences between years from 01-05. Are there any hull diferences? Also how is the wake for other water sports? We do slalom and barefooting. Will it be able to hold a speed of 42ish? And what is the wake like at 34-35 ish for slalom. Would putting weight up front make the wake any smaller by making the back end sit up a little. I know that the wakeboard and wake surf wake is amazing so you dont have to sell me on that.
thanks for all your help,
danny Smylie
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-14-2007, 10:25 AM Reply   
I don't know if the wakesurf wake is amazing, but it is serviceable.

42.....hummmm.....I don't know if I have gone that fast. I have the 330HP Ex, but the altitude here effects top speed....and I have never tried to "go as fast as I can." That said, I don't know if I could/would pull someone at 42ish... So good question.

The only difference, other than cosmetic, between all the boats is CC opened things up in '02....so the boats are bigger inside '02 and newer. Same hull on every boat listed.

I have never skied behind my boat....but word is, the ski wake is less than favorable.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-14-2007, 10:31 AM Reply   
42 sounds pretty fast to me for a SAN. Maybe with the bigger engine and the right prop. I think we got close to 40 at WOT, but I don't really push it. We repropped it for weighted hole shot so I doubt we could hit 40 that easily.

Never had a skier behind it and never seen anyone skiing behind one. Surf wake is alright if weighted properly. Wakeboarding wake is awesome, but again, must be weighted properly.

I might suggest you look into the 211, it may be a better crossover boat for your needs.
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-14-2007, 10:37 AM Reply   
Pretty sure 40 is tops for mine as well but I rarely drive over 30/35.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-14-2007, 10:44 AM Reply   
Me neither. I cruise at about 3800 RPM's empty. Usually puts me right about 30-35, can't remember exactly.

Really only opened ours up a few times on straight shots in really nice water. 40 seems to be about all she will do and I don't like keeping the engine at high RPMs that long.

You may want to find one with the bigger motor in it and get a high speed prop.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-14-2007, 12:14 PM Reply   
I remember seeing a beautiful SAN for sale a few years ago. The owner said he was selling becasue thought he'd be able to slalom behind it but was really disappointed in the slalom wake.

You might end up making your dear old dad pretty mad if you talk him into it.

I'd see about getting an SV-211, which I think came out in 03 or 04. The SV-211 is specifically designed to allow you to do both. Ask around on here and people can tell you how to weight it to get a great wakeboard wake.

Good luck!
Old     (smylie)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-14-2007, 12:29 PM Reply   
yeah i know about the 211, but then you sacrafice a good wake for boarding. i dont know we will see what happens.
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-14-2007, 12:52 PM Reply   
Basically I have found this true for most every great wakeboarding boat. If you have a worldclass wake for wakeboarding you will be somewhat disappointed with the slalom wake. On my lake I see people skiing behind the SAN (however those people are not that good of skiiers and I think they don't even care about the wake becasue they ski from the tower)
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-14-2007, 1:00 PM Reply   
Not sure who came to the conclusion that a 211 isn't capable of putting out a great wake, but that assumption is way off the mark. It may not be the 210 wake, but it's a great wake in it's own right.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-14-2007, 2:03 PM Reply   
I bet alot of people will be looking at 211s in the future as it is now the narrowest boat in the CC line and closest to producing the old 210 wake that we all love.

Danny - better ride behind a properly weighted 211 before making blanket statements. I'll put the 211 wake against anything. It's the closest held secret right now. Try one before you decide.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-14-2007, 2:30 PM Reply   
Don't think the 211 won't put out a good wake. The stock wake is really meaty. Not as steep as the 210, but if someone asked me to go riding on their 211 I would throw everything down that I was doing and go ride.
Old     (jeffsv211)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-14-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
Not the best of pics, and not fully weighted. I think we only had stock plus about 200# that day. We now run it with the v-drive bags and a ski locker bag plus the stock tanks.Upload
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-14-2007, 4:32 PM Reply   
no the 2001 is still the best kept secret in wakeboarding! good slalom wake, exceptional wakeboarding wake, just not a lot of room. but damn she turns heads anywhere we take her.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-15-2007, 5:04 AM Reply   
Wakeboarding and surfing behind our 2000 SAN was not a problem. We only used stock ballast but could surf without a problem. Also Barefooting wasn't a problem, but we needed to run the engine for 90-95% to reach desirable speed. Ours would top around 44mph with GT40, I think. Never did a GPS measurement. We now have a 06 with Excalibur so I don't know how that one will run...
I have no clue about the ski wake.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-15-2007, 7:15 AM Reply   
Kevin, he is talking year 2001....not model 2001.