Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (bob_l)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-08-2007, 3:03 PM Reply   
How many folks actually followed the manufacturers recommended break-in procedure (i.e. 10 hours before pulling anyone, varying the speed, changing oil after break-in, etc.) when you purchased your new boat? If not, what did you do?
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-08-2007, 3:17 PM Reply   
my break in consists of the 10 minute ride to the back of the lake at 20 mphs, 10 mphs, 30 mphs all the way to the back for about a minute at each speed. you guys should see how the manufactures test each boat it would probably scare you to know thats how they drove your boat.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-08-2007, 3:26 PM Reply   
I followed the break in schedule, but I know most people don't and I have not seen them have adverse affects. We ran low rpms for some time and ran no weight in the boat for about 25 hrs.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-08-2007, 3:27 PM Reply   
I broke my newest boat in, but not my first...
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-08-2007, 3:42 PM Reply   
We broke ours in pretty much to the book. Sucks more for Merc engines because its a 20 hr procedure.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-08-2007, 3:56 PM Reply   
Maybe I shouldn't be admitting this, but I get right in my boat and run it like I would any other day. I put about 800 hours a year on a boat with no problems, so I can honestly say I don't think it matters. My theory is run it like you want to.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-08-2007, 3:56 PM Reply   
By the book! Way too much money to worry about 10-20 hrs.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-08-2007, 4:11 PM Reply   
i filled up my ballast and surfed with .5 hours on the boat :-) 130 hours later and zero problems :-)
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-08-2007, 4:20 PM Reply   
I've always been a bit gentle with it. Probably not quite to factory spec, but I've never had a problem either.

My current boat I ran around for an hour or so with the ballast empty, then filled the factory ballast and rode. Then I steadily added weight till it was fully dumped by 20 hours. I actually think riding is a decent way to break a motor in. Falling, turning around, picking up a rider is a great way to vary engine speed during break in. I think the only thing I'd really stay away from is running it constantly wide open when the motor is fresh.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-08-2007, 4:38 PM Reply   
It's either gonna go or blow. That's what warranty is for. The harder you break it in the harder they run. Put a few hours on it and let it rip. Drive it like you stole it.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-08-2007, 4:52 PM Reply   
...I have a 350 Merc in my boat, and there is a SIGNIFICANT advantage to breaking in motors properly (with the exception of Indmars). Our engine now performs considerably better than straight out of the box... as in 8mph more in top end, and jumps onto plane (5 seconds) with 2700lbs ballast and a stock 3-blade prop. Good RPMs too. Shop where i take my boat has reported 30-40 hp gain in engines broken in propoerly (in addition to the increased longevity).
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-08-2007, 5:02 PM Reply   
It's funny b/c they recommend you break it in, but at the factory lake test they make sure it can hit WOT? Hmmm....
Old     (c4avalanchen)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-08-2007, 5:10 PM Reply   
Unlike other recreational vehicles, I think for boating, you need to follow the manufacturers instructions at all times, even after break-in. It's not like a car or dirtbike, etc. If you break down while on the water, you're going to wish you read the entire owners manual. In most cases, some accidents and problems would have been avoided if the owners manual was looked over. So yeah, i'd do the break-in. I've also heard of what Anodyne stated to be true.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-08-2007, 6:41 PM Reply   
Break in is a myth. With full roller valvetrains, the only thing left to break in on a late model american V8 is rings and that can be done in about an hour. Ring break in is very important too, and can contribute to higher or lower horsepower numbers for any given engine and also how much oil it may or may not burn between changes. Now there are some do's and dont's when the engine is new such as limited idleing, no full throttle for more than a few seconds, and no constant speeds for extended periods of time.

(Message edited by wake upppp on February 08, 2007)
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-08-2007, 7:16 PM Reply   
We dropped 60k on a new boat, we went by the manufacturer's suggestions, it would seem silly not to.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-08-2007, 7:20 PM Reply   
With my Marine Power engine is just tells you to vary the RPM the first 25 Hours and not to stay at one too long. Very vauge. I was boarding with 1 hour on the engine and we keep varrying the RPM.

My last boat they told me to drive it like I stole it!!!
Old     (toneus)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-08-2007, 9:37 PM Reply   
Yes, the break in period sucks. We all want to "Just Ride". If you really want your boat/engine to be the BEST that it can be, you will follow the recommendations of your boat dealer (they are just passing on what the engine manufacture is telling them to tell YOU). Every engine that is sold in a car, bike, boat has a break in period. Just Do It! Take pride in your investment.

Toneus

(Message edited by toneus on February 08, 2007)
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-09-2007, 6:42 AM Reply   
I had a Mastercraft dealer take me on a test drive that included wide open throttle and at least 3 powerslides. If they do it right out of the box, what good does it do to follow it yourself?
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       02-09-2007, 6:53 AM Reply   
quote from Anodyne:
and there is a SIGNIFICANT advantage to breaking in motors properly (with the exception of Indmars)

Anodyne, what is the exception with Indmar?
The reason I ask is I bought a 99 205V with a cracked block at the end of the season, and the MC dealer installed a Jasper remanufactured block. I put 3 break-in hours on it before I winterized, but plan to stick with the plan before we sack it out.
Old     (houdini)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-09-2007, 6:56 AM Reply   
anodyne: why did you say, except for indmars?

I will be getting a new Malibu this spring and I a guessing I will try to follow the recommendations. But how can you not ride when you find some buttery water? 10 hours is a long time to just cruise at varying speeds. I will just fall a lot and it will allow the boat to vary in picking me up a lot :-)
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-09-2007, 7:15 AM Reply   
Drive it like you stole it!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-09-2007, 7:47 AM Reply   
I don't like to be ridden hard until I'm warmed up and broken in.

Signed,

Your engine.
Old     (humboldtboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-09-2007, 7:50 AM Reply   
I wuldn't worry too much about engine break in, like Sparky said, the engine should be pretty much ready to go after an hour. I would be more concerned about the v-drive gears breaking in properly. I wouldn't load up 2000+ lbs of ballast until at least 10 hours.
Old     (faceplanter69)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-09-2007, 8:36 AM Reply   
A new engine gets run through it's paces from the manufacturer. They take it from 0 to redline for the first 15-30 minutes of it's life and then check it over. Your dealer then takes it for a test run for the next 30 minutes and works it.

when you get your new boat you should have around 1 hour on the meter. Every new boat I've ever owned I've varied the speed for the next 7-9 hours and haven't loaded the boat up at all. The worst thing you can do is run your boat at 23 mph for lengthy periods of time when you're breaking it in. If you plan on keeping your boat for a lengthly period of time it will keep your maintenance costs down over the long haul. You probably wont see a difference in the first 2 year s though
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-09-2007, 1:39 PM Reply   
Sparky Jay:
"Break in is a myth. With full roller valvetrains, the only thing left to break in on a late model american V8 is rings and that can be done in about an hour. Ring break in is very important too, and can contribute to higher or lower horsepower numbers for any given engine and also how much oil it may or may not burn between changes. Now there are some do's and dont's when the engine is new such as limited idleing, no full throttle for more than a few seconds, and no constant speeds for extended periods of time. "

I second ^^ that.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-09-2007, 2:53 PM Reply   
When i bought my boat the dealer told me it didn't matter, just not to weight it down and down and try to vary speed a little. 160 hrs later, in salt water, and zero problems. I know when we bought my dads car, a carrera, the dealer said they come broken in and that they only want you to follow the breakin so you get used to the car before going crazy.
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-10-2007, 11:55 AM Reply   
followed it word for word in my old mans boat. ford 302. has never had an issue. Execpt water pumps.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-10-2007, 4:15 PM Reply   
The best way to break in new, modern motor is to let it warm up to about 160F at idle. After that, full power to 3,000 rpms for 60 seconds, back down to idle for 30 seconds. Repeat every 500 rpm increment until redline. Repeat once. You are done! Enjoy your new boat.

The obvious question is why is the mfgr info different. The answer is the engines occasionally let go. They want that at very low rpm. Also, most marine accidents not related to alcohol are within the first 20 hours of operation on a new boat.

Yes, I am a dealer.