Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old     (summerryder)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-05-2007, 1:08 PM Reply   
I am sorry to report the passing of Stacey McElhinney, 43, of Seguin, TX. Wife of former Professional wakeboarder Pat McElhinney, Stacey had been closely affiliated with the sport of wakeboarding from the early days. She served as the first Treasurer of the World Wakeboard Association when the organization was first founded. Stacey and Pat also opened one of the very first wakeboard-specific schools, dating back to 1991. She was at virtually every Pro contest in North America up until 1999 when Pat lessened his Tour participation. She loved wakeboarding in every regard.

Stacey also opened her home to hundreds and hundreds of wakeboarders over the years. Whether they were students for the school or visiting pro riders, Stacey always welcomed anyone and everyone with a kind, warm smile and a gentle plesantness. She also brought that kindness out of the road as she acted as a surrogate caregiver to many young riders on the Pro Tour. She would arrange rides, meals and give assistance to anyone stuck in a new city and who needed a helping hand. She had a heart of gold.

Another element I admired was the relationahip that Stacey and Pat shared. The two virtually went everywhere together and brought out the very best in each other. They epidomized what it means to be genuinely nice people and "Best Friends".

Stacey had battled cancer for years. She would have her bad spells and good spells but never lost site of the goal of trying to become again cancer free. She fought tooth and nail and never conceded she was up against an unbeatable foe. She passed away in the evening of January 4th, 2007, in the comfort and dignity of their family home.

For those who wish to contact Pat, I can currently offer the following postal address:

Pat McElhinney
540 Turtle Lane
Seguin, Tx 78155

I will try to get an email address to post here has well. I believe Pat will have the opportunity to check out the Wakeworld site and this thread as well.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-05-2007, 1:20 PM Reply   
I send my deepest condolences. I never knew of her, but she sounded like a delightful human being.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-05-2007, 1:28 PM Reply   
Wow, that's really heartbreaking. I never knew Stacey personally, but her reputation preceded her. She will be missed. Our prayers go out to the McElhinney family.
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-05-2007, 1:30 PM Reply   
I met both of them in 96 while Pat was doing a demo in Kalamazoo Michigan. They were both people we should strive to be like.
Rest in peace Stacey.
And my best wishes and a heartful prayer goes out to Pat and their family.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-05-2007, 1:55 PM Reply   
This is devastating news. I had first heard about her battle with cancer through Joe Pearson in early 2004. Everyone involved with the Canyon Lake Wakeboard Club was pulling for her. RIP Stacey McElhinney. We send our deepest sympathys to Pat and family.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-05-2007, 2:32 PM Reply   
Wow, that's some sad news. I was just there last May taking a 3 day from Pat. Stacey was a genuinely nice person. Having never met her or Pat before my lesson, they none the less welcomed me into their home like I had known them for years.

My sincerest condolences go out to Pat and Family.
Old    innov8actionsports.com            01-05-2007, 2:43 PM Reply   
I dident know Stacy, but she sounds like the kind of person we should all strive to be.
My prayers and thoughts are with Pat and family.
God Bless
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-05-2007, 3:25 PM Reply   
Wow, you just have to enjoy every minute that you have with your loved ones cause you never know what tomorrow will bring. I'll pray for the family
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-05-2007, 4:52 PM Reply   
As Jeff posted, we at the Canyon Lake Wakeboard Club and our family have had Pat and Stacy in our prayers during this battle. We pray that Pat and his family feel Gods' loving arms of comfort around them at this difficult time. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old     (cowdoc13)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-05-2007, 5:57 PM Reply   
I am extremely saddened to inform the wakeboard community of yesterdays passing of Stacey McElhinney of the McElhinney Wakeboard School in Seguin, Texas. Stacey was the beloved wife of Pat McElhinney, one of the true founding fathers of wakeboarding. Pat, Stacey and several others formed what was initially named the "World Skiboard Association", and 2 years later it became the World Wakeboard Association we know today. Stacey was a charter member of the association and served as the associations first secretary, having opened its first bank account in Seguin in August of 1991.

From the inception of the sport, Stacey was an avid fan of wakeboarding and traveled the world with Pat promoting wakeboarding. Stacey was never one that sought the lime light or wanted to be the center of attention, preferring to be a strong, quiet, cheerleader for Pat and all other wakeboarders who passed through her life. To Pat and to those of us that knew her, Stacey was truly something special. She never met a person she did not like and never had an unkind word for anyone.

For the past 12 years, Stacey has been the heart and soul of the McElhinney Wakeboard School. Stacey was always the sweet and courteous voice on the phone that booked all of Pat’s lessons, the friendly face that greeted everyone at the door to get you signed in, and the true reason the proshop was always so well stocked with boards and equipment. She was typically the first to greet the boat on its return at the end of the day and was always genuinely excited to hear about how each student had progressed that day.

The last 3 years, Stacey fought a courageous battle against breast cancer with Pat always at her side. Through all that time and with all of the illness associated with trying to beat the disease, Stacey never once lost her kind, caring ways or her beautiful smile. She never complained about her plight, she never wanted anyone to feel sorry for her, and she never lost her zeal for life, for wakeboarding or her love for Pat and their school. Two days ago she spoke of how much the school had grown and how much she was really looking forward to seeing it continue to grow in the coming season. Pat, wakeboarding and the school were always her passions and things that gave her true inner peace right through to the end.

The sport has lost one of its founding members and ambassadors. She will be missed tremendously by those of us that had the good fortune of getting to know her. Please join me in offering our heart felt condolences to Pat McElhinney and keeping both Pat and Stacey in our thoughts and prayers. May God bless and continue to watch over Pat and Stacey, and all of you.
Old     (reid808)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-05-2007, 8:29 PM Reply   
As many of you have read, Pat and Stacy are two of wakeboardings finest. We've had a close connection with them from Hawaii. Pat and Lance Brug were the originators, part of the "Dirty Dozen". Stacy was a remarkable person. Always giving and willing to help. She stood by Pat every step of his wakeboarding career and I'm sure Pat was there for every step of her battle. Stacy we'll miss you!! Pat, our heartfelt condolences to you. We will never forget the fun times in Hawaii and on the mainland.

Aloha & Mahalo,

Reid Shimabukuro
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       01-05-2007, 8:49 PM Reply   
My brother introduced me to Stacey & Pat back in 1998 at the Abbotsford Pro Tour Stop, and what wonderful people they were. Very friendly, knowledgable & their passion for the sport was undeniable. My condolences go out to Pat & their family. RIP Stacey.
Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-05-2007, 9:40 PM Reply   
I too never met Pat our her husband, but she sounded like a person that I very much would have liked. I hate to hear of her passing, but I'm sure she is better off now and it sounds like she went out in a way most all of us would like to, at home and with loved ones by her side.
Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-05-2007, 9:44 PM Reply   
Opps, I ment Stacey, sorry Pat please forgive me, I hope that did not offend.
Old     (donnawarren)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-06-2007, 12:51 AM Reply   
For my beloved friend, Stacey. I am typing this through the tears that I have filled my eyes all day and continue late into the night. You were truly one of the most beautiful, courageous, encouraging, selfless and uplifting people I have ever known.

You and Pat were instrumental in the course of my wakeboarding career as you have been in many others. You both were committed to furthering women in the sport. I have so many wonderful memories of you; driving the boat for hours, being patient with me when I didn’t want to jump in the reeds, the Bahamas trip, the photo shoot in Austin with icicles on the rocks when I nearly froze, you feeding your pet squirrel, and being in Dallas together when you found out your house had been flooded. But more than the endless wakeboarding memories I have with you, I cherish the memories of our friendship that lasted long after that.

You were my friend through the good and bad and yet you always were the same, full of life and enthusiastic, never one to complain. You had a compassionate heart, especially with animals. We shared our love for dogs, you volunteering your time at the Human Society even when you were sick. I can still hear your laugh that was continuously sprinkled throughout your conversations. Every time I heard it you lifted my spirits. I don’t think you ever knew the extent of my admiration for you and your grateful and positive attitude throughout your illness, always thinking of everyone else first. Or how much respect I have for Pat, it was always evident how much he loves you, but never as much as these last years. There are not many people that were as devoted to each other as you and Pat. You two were inseparable. You were a wonderful wife, always supportive and encouraging and Pat was a wonderful, loving husband, by your side until the very end.

Not only has the wakeboard industry lost an icon that will be felt for years to come, but I have lost one of my best friends, someone whom I loved dearly and truly was one of the greatest friends I ever had or ever will have. I love you so much and the impact you made on me will last for a lifetime. I will miss you everyday for the rest of my life, but will carry you in my heart forever.

In lieu of flowers, Stacey requested that donations be sent to the Sequin, Texas Humane Society.
Old     (cowdoc13)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-08-2007, 6:01 AM Reply   
To give everyone interested a brief update, I was able to spend some time with Pat this past weekend. He is doing as well as could be expected and has been overwhelmed by the outpouring of sympathy and concern for he and Stacey. He asked that I extend his sincere "Thanks" to each of you for all the phone calls and notes he has received. To those that have called and missed him, he asked that I extend his apologies for not being able to catch each call at the time they occurred. As one may suspect, he has been extremely busy getting everything in order for Stacey's service. Each of the letters, calls and phone messages have meant a tremendous amount to Pat as he deals with the loss of Stacey. The thread Jeff started is something Pat was especially greatful for. He has been overwhelmed with the nice things so many people have written about Stacey. The thread is something I heard him repeatedly tell his family and friends about as they called to check on him. Pat checks each day and really wanted the wakeboard community to know how much the thread has meant to him.

For those that are interested, the services will be at 1 PM on Saturday, January 13th, at the First Baptist Church in Seguin, Texas. There will be a short graveside service following the church service. After the graveside services there will be a reception at the Fellowship Hall of the church. One can find a list of local hotels at Pat and Stacey's website, www.mcelhinneywakeboardschool.com.

As Donna Warren indicated, it was Stacey wish that in lieu of flowers, donations be sent the Guadalupe County Humane Society. Stacey worked there throughout her illness and found it a great source of comfort. Working there was something she loved dearly and really looked forward to each day. I apologize for not knowing the mailing address at this time, but will try and get it posted in the next day or two.

Once again on Pat's behalf, I want to extend his sincere and heart-felt "Thanks" to everyone that has rallied around him and shown their sympathy and support. Believe me when I say it means a great deal to him.
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-08-2007, 8:23 AM Reply   
We loved Stacey and Pat. I was fortunate enough to go to their house twice, for vacation, training,and friendship. My wife and I hung with the McElhinneys at many National and World WWA events. On our 25th wedding anniversary I flew to their house in Seguin, trained for Nationals with Pat. Stacey, Pat, & I drove up to Dallas, I picked up my wife Suzie at the airport...while Stacey and Pat decorated our hotel room with balloons, flowers, and champaign! Great surprise! In next few days Pat won Masters & I won Veterans, it was a special win for both of us. I feel very lucky to have been her friend. She always supported Pat and knew everything going on in the wakeboard world, and knew just about everyone in the business. I will miss her. I hope to see Pat soon. They had a great marriage and friendship.
One other thing I would like to say... Jeff Barton "JB" the voice of wakeboarding and great wakeboarder always wore a McElhinney Wakeboard School shirt to all the big events.... he would change shirts to go on camera but always knew where his heart was.
Stacey welcomed all... keep her spirit alive in prayer.
I am glad you are pain free now and in the other Heaven. (For those lucky ones to have been to their home on the lake)
Aloha for now, I love you. See you up there, have a cold one waiting for me and a good pull.

Love & Peace

the Joe Pearson Family - Huntington Beach
Upload
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       01-08-2007, 9:05 AM Reply   
"Pat, Stacey and several others formed what was initially named the "World Skiboard Association", and 2 years later it became the World Wakeboard Association we know today."

Thats HUGE! She'll definately be in the history books. I never knew her but i'm thankful for what shes done for the sport. From reading what others have wrote about her, shes quite an inspiration.
My condolences.
Old     (jfisher136)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-08-2007, 9:42 AM Reply   
As a friend and neighbor of Pat and Stacey we are all truly saddened in Pecan Cove of the loss of Stacey.

My husband and I met Pat and Stacey many years ago when we were at that time just weekend lake warriors. Pat and Stacey at that time lived on upper Lake Placid. Bill and I were know as the "Slalomers" aka " The Bill & Jean" Show and of course our '87 black & white mastercraft was nicknamed "Shamu" by Pat and Stacey's friend Roger. Roger lived on the river which is now the home of Gabe Lucas.

We remember very well when Pat and Stacey began this new water sport "Wakeboarding". At the time, Bill and I were learning how to Trick Ski and someone on the river had this new water toy.."The "Scrufer". Well needless to say....we tried it and it wasn't for us. However, Pat and Stacey had found something better than the "Scrufer"...the "Wakeboard".

We remember Pat riding behind a Sea Doo on this new toy and of course Stacey was his Faithful Diver. We were like....What is Pat riding on????..and of course we all know now that he was teaching himself with the help of Stacey how to ride his new toy...the Wakeboard.

As the years have gone by we all have watched Pat and Stacey develop the sport of "Wakeboarding". Their countless hours of Riding, Designing and most Importantly Teaching has truly been a blessing for all of us that know them.

When our daughter, Shelby expressed an interest in learning how to wakeboard at the age of six.....we sent her straight to Pat and Stacey to learn the right way!!!...Pat and Stacey fixed Shelby up with her first board and continues to ride in the summer with Pat and Gabe.

Pat and Stacey have been excellent Role Models for all of our young riders and skiers on Lake Placid. Their truly unique relationship of Friendship, Business Partners, and most apparent..."Soul Mates" has been a blessing to all of us.

We all love Pat and Stacey. Stacey will forever be in our hearts and is now our Sweet Angel on Lake Placid.

May God be with Pat..... and Pat and Stacey's families during this difficult time.

Fondly, The Fisher's on Lake Placid, Seguin Texas
Old     (tracifambrough)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-08-2007, 1:45 PM Reply   
I first met Stacey when she was the judge of a wakeboard tournament in Smithville. I was 1 of 2 girls entered, and my big trick was a one wake toeside 180 (hey - it was 1995!) Stacey was so supportive of the girls that were riding that day, and my husband Tommy and I formed a friendship with Pat and Stacey that weekend that has lasted all these years. Stacey was the team mom for all of the Texas riders for years. I have prayed for Stacey and Pat for several years now, and I know that she is in a better place, with no pain. Pat, I will continue to pray for you - my heart goes out to you in your loss of your best friend, wife, and partner. She will be greatly missed.

Traci Fambrough
Old     (robin_downs)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-08-2007, 7:43 PM Reply   
So sorry to hear about Stacy passing away. Stacy was my 1st cousin. We were close during our younger years as we were born and lived in the same small town, Falfurrias Texas. Some of my best memory’s of her were the times we spent at our grandmothers house, BBQ’s and Christmas were always a lot of fun, mainly tearing down the Christmas gingerbread house then eating it along with loads of ice cream.

Unfortunately as time went on we pretty much lost contact due to the family’s moving on to different city’s. All your very kind words about Stacy make me regret even more that I had not stayed in touch with Stacy and her husband Pat. Another regret is that I will not be able to attend her funeral due to being overseas at the time.

I understand through family that when Stacy passed away her father was with her which would have meant the world for them both.

Her passing is very sad, she is in a much better place now and will be missed by family and friends. My prayers and thoughts are with Stacy, Pat and family.

God bless Stacy
Old     (vandall)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-09-2007, 4:07 PM Reply   
I've known Pat and Stacey since I was ridin wakeboards bigger than myself. It's been years since I've seen either of them. I remember Stacey being selflessly kind and caring even to a young punk such as me. Stacey was an awesome woman and will be deeply missed.

God Bless you Stacey and my most sincere condolences to you Pat.

Randall Harris
Old     (hhudiburg)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-09-2007, 5:59 PM Reply   
Pat's Uncle Buzz and I want to share the place where anyone can view the obituary that Stacey's Dad Chet wrote. It is a beautiful and moving testimony to her life. Look online at San Antonio Express-News Obituaries. Also, the address for memorial donations to the Guadalupe County Humane Society is PO Box 1593, Seguin, TX 78156-1593. The address of First Baptist Church in Seguin is 1314 E Cedar St., right across the street from Seguin High School Football Stadium. The service is 1 PM Saturday, January 13.
Their life is a true testimony to "and the two shall become one". Marianne Hudiburg
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-10-2007, 7:23 AM Reply   
Uncle Buzz, I tried to find the testimonial on line can you post a link to the site? Thank you. Our prayers are with you all.
Aloha - Joe Pearson
Old     (brent_brown)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-10-2007, 9:15 AM Reply   
Stacey and I became great friends while roaming antique stores together. Here was a person who was SO KNOWLEDGEABLE in SO MANY areas--not many people are as wise at that age.

I'll really miss you, Stac', and I'll see you down the road...Love, Brent
Old     (jfisher136)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-10-2007, 6:13 PM Reply   
Joe,
I hope this link will work...

http://seguingazette.com/story.lasso?ewcd=eb0f198dffd353c6

If not, Please go to http://seguingazette.com

and click on the obituaries.

It really is a beautiful testimonial of Stacey

Jean
Old     (jfisher136)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-10-2007, 6:22 PM Reply   
I found this picture of Stacey and Pat and thought all would enjoy!!
Jean

Upload
Old     (fuel)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-12-2007, 4:05 PM Reply   
I really don't know what to say. I went to Pat and Stacy's school this summer and had a blast. Stacy was a super, super sweet lady. She made everyone she met feel right at home. She will be sorely missed.

Rest in Peace, Stacy.

Pat, my heart and prayers go out to you and your family.

Sincerly,

Clint Egger
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-13-2007, 7:47 AM Reply   
Pat, our family prayers are with you today, and every day. Suzie was telling me last night how fun we had at the Riverwalk and the flea markets we had with both of you. We bought those sugar molds (for candles) we keep at our house in Mexico. People always ask about it. We feel honored to have know Stacey. I last talked to her about a month and a half ago... she is so brave and strong, she told me she was doing fine.
We will miss her and think of her often.
Love the Pearsons
Old     (carol_serur)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-15-2007, 2:01 PM Reply   
I spoke to Pat this morning, and he is so touched and overwhelmed by all the postings on this site. He wanted me to be sure and read all the nice things people had written about Stacey...so if you haven't posted and feel like it, please know how much your words and memories of Stacey mean to Pat.

I met both Pat and Stacey when my children took lessons from Pat years ago, but didn't get to r}eally know them until Stacey got sick. All the nice things everyone has written about Stacey is so true, because she was the REAL DEAL - she was genuine, and truly cared about everyone she was around. She and Pat were just as comfortable being with young people and the waterski/wakeboard community, as they were hanging out with a bunch of their "older" friends at the lake. (We're in THAT group!)

I cannot think of a more beautiful love story than the love that Pat and Stacey had for one another. From all I have read here about their early years, and what I saw at the end of Stacey's life on this earth, this is what true love is all about.

Pat, our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Carol and Terry Serur
Old    xtremebordgurl            01-15-2007, 2:16 PM Reply   
Stacy and Pat will be in my thoughts and prayers, I never knew either of them but from what I have heard they are both very admirable and Ihave a great deal of respect for what they have done for our sport. God Bless.
Old     (pat_mcelhinney)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-18-2007, 9:29 AM Reply   
I would like to thank everyone for all the thoughts, prayers, and kind words about Stacey. Stacey would have been overwhelmed by all the true friendship, and concern, as am I. Stacey was my love, my life, I can not find words to say how I feel, so I will not even try. Stacey Marie McElhinney You were my true love, you are still my true soulmate. Destiny brought us together,I will love you always. Your husband, Pat
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-18-2007, 11:58 AM Reply   
Pat, I never met Stacey, but I think it's obvious that you are very blessed to have shared your life with such a wonderful person. Our prayers go to out to you and your family.

I just did a search on our member list and see that Stacey signed up for the discussion board back in 2005. It doesn't look like she ever posted, but here is her profile. Not surprisingly, she lists you as her favorite rider!

http://www.wakeworld.com/cgi-bin/Discus4/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&profile=Mcelhinney-users