Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 27, 2006

Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-13-2006, 6:04 AM Reply   
USAWakeboard, a USAWaterski division, will be instituting International Olympic Comittee and USOC drug screening policies starting January 1, 2007. This is mandatory for any program involved with Pan Am Games and /or IOC events.

Drug test may be performed at any USAWakeboard event and any member of the USAWakeboard team is subject to a drug test at any time. As a member of the team you may have to submit to a drug test even during the off season. They randomly choose athletes and even can come to your residence to get a sample.

I attended the USAWakeboard meeting where a representative from the USOC drug education group gave a presentation. The drug enforcement program goes way beyond screening for illegal recreatiional drugs such as pot, coke, etc. It really puts more emphasis on performance enhancing drugs. Before everyone gets too excited about this please go to the site and read the facts. http://usawakeboard.com/

This is not a conspiracy to weed out any riders or to change wakeboarding from the sport it is or to have anyone change their lifestyle. It only applies to a very few riders who compete at these events or is interested in international competitions. I am not sure about cable but would highly suspect it is part of it. USAWaterski is seeking to increase the wakeboard competition opportunities. This is part of being on the international and Olympic spectrum.

If you plan on participating in USAWakeboard events I suggest you familiarize yourself with the program. It is pretty complicated and there are OTC medications that a lot of people take that will cause people to fail drug screens. You are allowed to take them but you have to submit forms and such. PLEASE GO TO THE WEBSITE IF YOU ARE TRULY INTERESTED.
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-13-2006, 6:08 AM Reply   
FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO WON'T GO TO WEBSITE HERE IS WHAT IT SAYS

"Because wakeboarding will be included in the 2007 Pan American Games, participating riders will be tested by the United States Anti-Doping Agency. USADA is the independent body responsible for conducting tests on behalf of the U.S. Olympic Movement. The following information is provided to answer basic questions about drug testing, and to help you protect your eligibility to compete:" USAWAKEBOARD.COM
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-13-2006, 6:27 AM Reply   
There is a point to drug testing amateur tournaments?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-13-2006, 7:10 AM Reply   
Damn! all the pros are going to have to quit riding in tournaments!
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-13-2006, 7:25 AM Reply   
I am not sure how all this will be adminstered. I am not part of any of this or on any USAWaterski board. I just want to make people aware of what is going on and where they can access the information. Again, not an issue for most people. The Pro Tour and most pro events are not through USAWaterki but the WWA. The WWA does not have any drug testing programs.

Many of the pros are all ready part of this. Philip, Danny Harf, Rusty, Josh Sanders, Daniel Watkins, Emily, Cathy Williams, Dallas and others have all participted in events which require drug screens and most if not all have submitted to drug screens and have passed. Let me clarify the previuos sentence so there is no mistake. No wakeboarder has failed the drug screen at any of the IWSA international events.
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-13-2006, 8:00 AM Reply   
GOOD IDEA!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-13-2006, 8:03 AM Reply   
Heh, heh.... He said it wasn't supposed to WEED anyone out. LOL
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-13-2006, 10:20 AM Reply   
I use to think it was really stupid about drug screening because it wasn't worth dividing the riders into who can pass and who won't. But this isn't about any particular rider(s) but something much bigger. That is being part of the international sports and olympic scene. Snowboarders are under the exact same criteria.

Will it ever happen at the Pro Tour level? First, who knows if the PWT will even have a tour next year. If the WWA and USAWakeboard ever join together then it would be an issue. I heard this is a dividing issue between WWA and USAWakeboard. But if USAWakeboard ever becomes the sanctioning body then it will be. Besides- it looks like the big names are already under it.

I don't compete so it won't effect me either way. I did hear hair loss meds are banned. Oh Oh.
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-13-2006, 2:37 PM Reply   
they shouldnt test for weed.

that isnt a drug! lol
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-13-2006, 3:12 PM Reply   
He said WEED!!
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-13-2006, 3:57 PM Reply   
I did hear hair loss meds are banned. Oh Oh.

Minoxidil is a cardiac medication and one of it's side effect was hair growth.