Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 27, 2006

Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-12-2006, 10:19 PM Reply   
Here is something I have noticed latley. When I take my boat out and I am driving past another boat and we make eye contact, I ussually give a nod or wave...half the time the other boaters just look away and kind of give me the snub. When I used to ride my crotchrocket every other motorcylce on the road would nod thumbs up or wave. I dont get boaters. Does anyone else notice this?
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       09-12-2006, 10:27 PM Reply   
Judging by your profile pic???

Jealousy.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-12-2006, 10:36 PM Reply   
id say more wave or throw up something then dont
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-12-2006, 10:45 PM Reply   
Yep, I notice the same thing regularly. Get over it. The truth is; some people can't be nice even if they're having fun on the water.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-12-2006, 11:15 PM Reply   
The biggest reason why I started boating was b/c everybody for the most part is friendly.Yes there is that occasional jackass that doesn't wave back but for the most part they do and it's chill.Sometimes I notice I don't wave back but that is b/c I was too busy doing something and by the time I looked up,it was too late.....I'm sure that happens a lot.
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-12-2006, 11:22 PM Reply   
everyone looks and stares regardless... be courteous yourself and karma will come back and reward you

as far as the crotchrocket comment...i doubt they were harley riders!
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-12-2006, 11:31 PM Reply   
Jonny pretty much every bike on teh road does not matter who it is or what they are riding will wave or atleast aknowledge you in some way. Its just different with boating
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-13-2006, 12:27 AM Reply   
just give them the courtesy wave and move along, most people have their own agendas on the water.. do your part and move along. works for me as well as the nice guy routine
Old     (howakeboartder)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-13-2006, 2:00 AM Reply   
I don't think I would be able to wave if I saw you drive by just because my jaw would be dropped and mind-set completely lost once I saw your boat. lol. But really thats a sweet ride. I notice the same thing on the lake all the time and even in the sound. People are just unkind about half the time.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-13-2006, 2:06 AM Reply   
Weird. On the delta, everyone waves to each other like they are your buds. It only gets ugly when you poach water or drive to close to a rider.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-13-2006, 5:58 AM Reply   
yea i try and wave and give nods tro all boats doing the same to me Except those that have been tearing up the water by powerturning,surfing and killing the lines..

in those cases i give the evil eye stare down :-)
Old    walt            09-13-2006, 6:15 AM Reply   
Around here just about everyone will wave.
Old    malibu73            09-13-2006, 6:17 AM Reply   
everyone on our lake seems to be friendly.
Old     (suthaforce)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-13-2006, 6:19 AM Reply   
I about caused a pile up on the interstate last night turning all the way around to check out a brand new SAN on the other side!! I think some of it is that a lot people are confused what the tower is, especially in Iowa cause wakeboard boats are still rare around here. I get quite of few questions asking what that bar thing is and all the junk on it. We just tell them its a roll bar!!
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-13-2006, 6:30 AM Reply   
I get the wave or acknowledgment from most wakeboard boats, direct drive ski boats drivers not so much. I sometimes have to give a different kind if hand wave to jet-skiers who are trying to jump my wake behind a rider
Old     (ian30)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-13-2006, 7:24 AM Reply   
Nobody waves, because you probably pissed them off when it took you thirty minutes to launch your boat not knowing how to back up a trailer.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       09-13-2006, 8:23 AM Reply   
I'm a waver! I start with a very nice, friendly wave, if I know they saw me and didn't get one back, I stand up and wave. If I still get no love, it's a standing, flailing wave as big and obnoxious as I can. If there's still no love, eh...what can you do, I tried.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-13-2006, 10:22 AM Reply   
Jonny, I used to get waves from Harley riders all the time when I was on my Gixxer. Bikers usually have respect for other riders.

As far as boats. I still have pretty good luck with people waving. People that spend a lot of time on the water seem to be more personable than the family ya-hooers. Maybe it helps that we know most of the real riders in our area. There are some people out there that are too busy putting on a fashion show to wave.
Old     (wakeboardnchica)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-13-2006, 10:27 AM Reply   
everyone waves on our lake.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-13-2006, 10:59 AM Reply   
I get the same thing as well. Seems to be a whole group of marginal boaters out there who don't wave. I can usually get their kids to wave though. I don't stop waving at them though, kind of fun that way.

Perhaps they are in awe staring at the best looking SANTE to ever hit the water?? Could be.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       09-13-2006, 11:02 AM Reply   
I think it is more of when you are in a "select" group, you are more apt to acknowledge the presence of another "select" group member.

Not to say everyone will acknoledge the presence of another, there are some that either don't care to put there hand up and shake it around, or just don't feel the need to.(Why would they wave if they arent even going to talk to you?)

I always wave, whether on my R6 or in the boat.(May come in handy if you need a tow or jump later)
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-13-2006, 11:31 AM Reply   
At least it's not as bad as Jeep owners who have near as I can tell a tiered waving system. For example, everyone waves at CJs but CJs only wave at other CJs and pre-97 XJs. Grand Cherokee owners wave at each other but nobody else. That's ok though because nobody else waves at Grand Cherokees. Wranglers only wave at Wranglers and CJs. CJs don't return the wave. Nobody waves at KJs (Liberty) even though KJs wave at everybody. Everyone waves at XJs (Cherokee). XJs don't wave at KJs. Half of them dont wave at XKs. The other half ask to look inside the XK when the XK is stopped getting gas or waiting on a tire rotation. It gets kind of confusing.

On boats, I wave at everyone unless occupied. Sometimes, someone waves at me on busy water and I don't return simply becuase my hands would be better placed firmly on the steering wheel and throttle. In that case, I do give the nod but it's kind of hard to see the nod from a distance.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-13-2006, 11:32 AM Reply   
Try surfing someone else's break and see what happens, lol. Or riding on a mx track that you dont belong on.

Why is it accepted for surfers, skaters and even mxer's to be territorial; but the second a wakeboarder yells at a tuber in a butter slough the wakeboarder is the punk? And thats just yelling, I have heard of a lot of kids getting straight beaten up for surfing or skating certain areas. I have personally seen and performed brake checks and been VERY confrontational to people who didnt belong on a mx track.
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-13-2006, 1:26 PM Reply   
Most of the people respond when we wave. I'd say at least 80% of them, if they see me wave, return it unless they are the ones to initiate the wave.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       09-13-2006, 1:34 PM Reply   
Dante,
I think the next step is that all Jeep owners flip off all owners that buy the new Compass.

I wave and usually get a wave back. The people cruzin in their pontoon boats just wait for me to drive by so that they can wave at me. I love those kind of people.
Old     (deltagrubber)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-13-2006, 1:38 PM Reply   
OK, I got one for you DELTA boaters.....what wakeboard boat has EVER gotten a wave from a 300 hp bass boat...don't lie......
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-13-2006, 1:47 PM Reply   
I have just gave up on waving to others unless they wave first.

It use to be friendly out there but i dont know what is up with people lately.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-13-2006, 2:20 PM Reply   
I agree with Big E, I give up most of the time, seems like the people that are stuck up are the ones that go out maybe twice a year and really don’t know anything about boating. Sometimes the wife gets some antifreeze in her and just flips up her top, that usually gets them to smile or wave.
Upload
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-13-2006, 2:33 PM Reply   
Ken,

Where do you and your wife ride? I will drive by and not wave j/k

I wave all the time. I even do it while I am boarding sometimes. Pretty easy thing to do, and I really don't get bent if they don't wave back. It's their issue if they want to be like that. The driver probably thinks I am waving at him, when really I am waving at the girls on the back seat! j/k Kim j/k!
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-13-2006, 2:45 PM Reply   
BUZZ
most of the time the kids wave for me so I can also check the girls, so I am with you on that
Old     (fuel)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-13-2006, 3:08 PM Reply   
I wave at other boats all the time, but I have noticed that I get the wave back on a tiered system. Usually families and people in runabouts or pontoons will wave back. Sometimes other wakeboard/ski boats will wave back. Bass fishermen will NEVER wave back.
Old     (girlsrepresent)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-13-2006, 5:30 PM Reply   
I think they are probably intimidated after seeing your crazy jumps..... It's not like your boat stands out at all...
Old     (nils_lars)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-13-2006, 6:12 PM Reply   
Ya they even have that commercial for Goboating.com on TV where the family waves to all kinds of people in there car and in the mall and on the street and everyone looks at em like there crazy then you see them in there boat waving and everyone waves back all friendly like.

So you guys are telling me life is not like it is on a TV commercial jeez why dont you just tell me theres no santa claus or easter bunny :-)
Old    walt            09-13-2006, 6:34 PM Reply   
The Bass fisherman on the Delta love Big Ed and Me.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-13-2006, 6:48 PM Reply   
Well,they loved my driving and loved your riding sooo much that they wanted to run you over...but other then that they were cool.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-13-2006, 8:53 PM Reply   
Jen you are funny..Buzz I knew I could count on you when someone talked about their wife flashing you are the pimpmeister for sure. I would have to say that about half the people wave back to me. I am a very friendly person and if I am just cruising out to our spot and go past people and we are looking in the same direction I wave and smile....I guess I shouldnt let it bug me but some of the people are just down right idiots.
Old     (firemedic)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-13-2006, 10:48 PM Reply   
Upload

Here I am, waving...

(Message edited by firemedic on September 13, 2006)
Old    fishboatwakerider            09-14-2006, 3:57 PM Reply   
I just quit waving at people... I'm assuming it's because of the boat I drive but I don't ever get waves back from ski or fishing boats.

But it's the only boat I got... so F'um
Old     (firemedic)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-14-2006, 4:29 PM Reply   
Hey Roy, I saw your boat in a previous post. Now I get it, you're from Yelm
Old    fishboatwakerider            09-14-2006, 4:36 PM Reply   
yup i sure am... and your point. At least I have a boat to drive now instead of hoping to catch a pull when one of my friends decides to go.
Old     (pottsy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-14-2006, 6:03 PM Reply   
ive never had this problem, i cant remember one time when ive waved at someone and they havent waved back...
Old     (magnusm)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-14-2006, 6:47 PM Reply   
I don't wave first at anyone who has already done a jackass move on the lake - powerturners on an empty flat lake for sure. If someone is showing good manners or hasn't done anything dumb yet then I'll wave and almost all the time I get a wave back. Bass boats - I'll wave if they look friendly and most of the time they'll give a wave back (most don't look that friendly though).

Most wakeboard boats are pretty good at waving at the Delta.
Old     (firemedic)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-14-2006, 7:06 PM Reply   
no doubt Roy!
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-14-2006, 7:53 PM Reply   
Roy a boats a boat man, you are still out in the sun and the water having a good time..although the chicks may be in my boat you can still board lol kidding
Old     (bigbird1031)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-14-2006, 9:38 PM Reply   
wave on dude
Old     (girlsrepresent)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-14-2006, 9:42 PM Reply   
I totally agree Darren..}
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-15-2006, 11:52 AM Reply   
The only times I don't wave is at the end of the day when my bros haven't pitched in for gas or beer and the girls are whiny. :-o