Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-29-2006, 9:39 AM Reply   
I just started surfing this year and I think we have the wake dialed pretty well. a few people who surf a lot have said it's really sweet, but I am always looking to Maximize it. Here's out set-up: Speed 11.5, two 350 sacks in one of the rear lockers, usually someone sitting on the sun pad and the taps set at 7(max). I drive a very big turn into the side where we're surfing. Any improvements? I'll post a pic when I can.
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-29-2006, 9:48 AM Reply   
Fill your center ballast and get some weight up front. That will help stretch the pocket out if its too steep. The best idea is to post a pic of the surf so we can see what you have.
Old    surfdad            08-29-2006, 10:21 AM Reply   
Hey Will, we had a 21V before acquiring the 23V in '03. I don't believe that any Tige comes equipped with a center ballast option and most that I know of don't have any built in ballast, period.

The turn into the wake, on my Tige's, actually lowered the height of the wake and created a bit longer pocket, while at the same time mellowing the transition more than I cared for. 11.5 is probably a bit fast, but realistically if folks are surfing it without issue the actual speed setting "number" is probably meaningless. We typically surf at 10.5, bumping up or slowing down when we are practicing for a specific contest and want to match that speed.

I also leave Taps set at 4 and then adjust it as we burn gas through the session - winding up no more than about 6.

In my experience, the weight in the bow tended to just crap the wake out. Didn't make it longer and reduced the height, also didn't improve the transition.

I purchased a few custom sac's that fit into the rectangular rear compartments...basically just filling that up with ballast. The other sac I had made fit into the entire length under the bench seat on the port side. That substantially helped the wake shape and size.

I got tired of all that messing around with sac's and finally had the folks from Fly High make me a custom sac, similar to their Enzo Sac that basically just combines those two individual sac, so now we have every square inch on the port side under the seats and in the rear compartment filled with ballast. I think I calculated it once as having a theoretical capacity of 1,300 pounds - it might be more than that though.

On the Starboard side, I use the old rectangular sac and a fat buddy that I jam up in the small space from the rear storage locker up to where the cooler stops. The starboard side is the weaker of the two.

This is what we end up with, that is with just 2 people in the boat totalling 300 pounds and with the custom sac filled.

Our 21 V had the same basic shape and size.

Upload
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-29-2006, 11:14 AM Reply   
WOW- thanks Jeff- great feedback. I'll try messing with the speed and TAPS right away and see what happens. I don't think I want to give up more storage under the seats. We surf off the Starboard side mostly- because we're all Right foot back, and I have V-drive bags that hold 350lbs each that I stack in the rear locker on that side. When you're surfing, do you weight BOTH sides of the boat at the same time?
Old    surfdad            08-29-2006, 11:22 AM Reply   
Thanks for the props. I weight one side at a time. Our typical session is the (dark side :-) ) starboard side, first and then after we are done, we empty the starboard ballast while filling the port ballast and then session that side.

I've talked with Mark Sher of Inland Surfer and one of the leading Centurion Enzo experts about his set up on the Enzo and they use about 200 pounds of lead on the side opposite that being surfed, to knock the lip off the wake and I want to try that on my Tige.

We were at a contest in New Mexico behind a 24 V and they had no ballast in the rear lockers, instead just filling the boat with about 18 or so people. That boat threw one of the nicest wakes I've ridden and both sides were available the whole time. I've never tried it on the 21 or my 23, but I know it can be done.