Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 27, 2006

Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-09-2006, 12:03 PM Reply   
Giving this a go tonight behind my buds x1, any real difference between a heel 3? I personally think Im going to have a much easier time with these since over rotate my toe 1's all the time anyways, but a pre game pep talk couldnt hurt.

www.midwestwakeboarder.com
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       08-09-2006, 12:05 PM Reply   
I think TS 3s are easier than HS 3s. If you're comfortable jumping toeside, and comfortable spinning in the air, I don't think you'll have a problem. Just remember to land edging away from the boat on your toes.

-Steve
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-09-2006, 12:37 PM Reply   
I think toe 3s are harder to land, but easier to spin. The biggest thing for me was keeping the handle up agaist my front hip. Otherwise, the handle is to far away to maintain control when you land.

Spinning slow helped. Also, think of the trick as two 180s. Do a tS 180, pull the handle in to your back hip while looking at the boat, then turn you head and do another 180.
Old     (juiced4ever)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-09-2006, 12:44 PM Reply   
When i do them i have to talk to myself the whole way into the wake to keep the handle in. It is really easy to spin like J-Rod said but when you are ready land you have to keep that handle in to the front hip or you will natrually want to rotate to a 5.
Hope that helps a little.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-09-2006, 12:55 PM Reply   
Its much lazier than the hs 3. I am wiling to bet that if you are pretty solid on a hs 3 you will spin to 5 on the toeside 3 for the first few tries. I personally really have to slow down to keep from over-rotating. I would almost suggest grabbing mute to slow yourself down. Definately keep the handle in close so you have some control when you land.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-09-2006, 1:32 PM Reply   
I agree...my TS 3's are solid but I can't do a HS 3 to save my life.

Two keys for me were keeping the handle in very tight to my hip and then doing a really late handle pass. I usually pass right after landing and that has kept me from sliding out like so many people do from over-rotating.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-09-2006, 1:40 PM Reply   
Agreed. I used to finish the trick early (handle pass included). It wasn't wokring out for me. I pass right before I land now
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-09-2006, 2:14 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice guys, hopefully the weather lets me get out....

Its good just too not be a heel hero anymore, now I need a real trick on that side.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-09-2006, 2:15 PM Reply   
It's the same landing as a switch b/s 180, so all the rules that apply to landing a b/s 180 apply...and most were mentioned here...don't spin too early, keep the handle in, treat them as two 180's, etc. etc.

The rope wants to unwind you, so getting the rotation itself is easy. Make sure you pull in hard on the rope on that last 180, that should give you some slack and leave the rope nicely up aainst your back. I've had a problem in the past of using the rope but not pulling in hard (not just one pull, pulling it throughout the second half of the trick) and you always end up sliding back on your buttocks. Good luck
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-09-2006, 2:17 PM Reply   
What up Brian! We will be back in a few months, hopefully I can hook up with you guys again.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-09-2006, 5:00 PM Reply   
J-Rod's tips are good ones and those are the ones that helped me learn this trick, and also if I try to purposely under-rotate a bit and it usually comes out just right, because the natural tendency for some reason is to over-rotate. You can land looking backwards to help slow the rotation. It actually helps me in edging away from the trick on my toes if I come up slightly short on the rotation. I have never once biffed the trick from under-rotating, even when it feels like I will.

BCH is correct, of course, but I believe most folks are going to stick the TS3 long before they ever get into switch blind 180s.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-09-2006, 5:06 PM Reply   
Ahhh...

The master of spinning speaks. Teach them the ways wise Doctor.
Old     (cptoafficiency)      Join Date: May 2006       08-09-2006, 5:07 PM Reply   
Just happened to know that Mike has bomber heel b/s 180's (even when trunking it in the rain and low 60 degree water), so thought maybe he could relate his landings on those to the toe 3. But, yeah, toe 3's come first in most people's progressions including mine. Been a good summer, Mike. Good summer. Hit us up when you're back.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-10-2006, 9:15 PM Reply   
How'd it go, Mike?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-10-2006, 9:41 PM Reply   
Here is some video:

http://homepage.mac.com/rd4tile/FileSharing7.html
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-10-2006, 10:54 PM Reply   
I agree with matt. It is MUCH lazier than the HS 3, because you really dont do that much. Just pop, and on the descent, pass the handle. The rest of the trick will work itself out.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-11-2006, 7:32 AM Reply   
I didnt get out, got out last night and forgot to try it was so busy having fun riding doubles.

Im off to a comp this weekend, but Im going to try it next time Im out.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-31-2006, 6:14 PM Reply   
Its been a rough month, but I finally got out and gave it a whirl in some very rough water.

Handle is there but Im over rotating about 450, dont want to take it to 540 but I think if I solidly get the handle it will slow me down I hope.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-31-2006, 6:28 PM Reply   
Try passing the handle after or as you land. I never tried it, but my friend Justin suggested landing with both hands on the handle to stop rotation.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-31-2006, 7:47 PM Reply   
Im going at it tomorrow morning hardcore, Ill let you know how it goes.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-01-2006, 10:41 AM Reply   
hardcore ehhhh????
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-01-2006, 11:11 AM Reply   
what three times isnt hardcore these days?

enjoying the class and you of all people know how boring it is to watch me go after time and time again, plus riding doubles was so much fun.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-02-2006, 6:46 AM Reply   
murphy you stick them yet?
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-02-2006, 8:34 AM Reply   
Not yet, Ive only tried 4-5 times.

Its my new mission though.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-02-2006, 9:55 AM Reply   
Mike,
If you are constantly over-rotating, then just try to spin it 270. That's what I do. It very often feels like I am going to come up short, but I have NEVER biffed the trick from coming up too short on the rotation. When I land I am looking straight back where the boat just came from, just like a HS blind 180. Your mind will try to trick you into thinking you are about to catch heelside edge, but if you keep the handle in close, you won't catch your edge. You will be surprised how easy it is when you finally ride one out.

If you are getting stuck, maybe try it one wake outside in or inside out. I learned them switch by doing them one wake outside in - you only need about a foot of air.