Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (ridetilldeath)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-16-2006, 5:01 PM Reply   
so i bought the book, really in depth, and they say to ride real slow, like 10-14 mph to learn front/backside slides, the cuffed/blind/regular position.
if i rode at this speed, the bow would be real high in the air and it would be hard for the driver to see over the bow, is there any way to make the bow go down? i know theres no way i could get the bow fully down at 14 mph but is there anything to help push it down a few feet?
i was thinking maybe some lead or a few fat friends could help?
any help=greatly appreciated!!

sam
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       05-16-2006, 5:11 PM Reply   
Behind the SeaRay 185? Thats available in either an outboard or i/o right? Either way you should be able to plane out better if you adjust the trim all the way down and shift a few lbs. up front. And I'd suggest the 15-17 mph, too slow is going to make things very difficult for you.

-Steve
Old     (ridetilldeath)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-16-2006, 5:19 PM Reply   
yea i/o
ok
thanks
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-16-2006, 7:43 PM Reply   
Trim all the way down, fat sack as far forward as possible, keep your passengers towards the bow too, you should be able to plane at 15-16mph.
Old     (boomerang)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-17-2006, 3:54 AM Reply   
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=37025&fcat=
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-17-2006, 5:11 AM Reply   
when riding that slow and trying different positions -- get rid of extra weight -- ie fat sacks, ballast, etc...
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-17-2006, 5:59 AM Reply   
I've got a very similar hull on my boat. In fact, depending on your year model, I may have the same hull since my boat's builders (Galaxy) practically stole Sea Ray's hull design back in the late 80's to early 90's. I would second the suggestions to go at least 15-17 mph (preferably 17) and add the whale tail (or Cobra Edge or whatever they're calling the stabilizing fin you attach to your outdrive). Trim tabs would be better than a whale tail but they will be much more expensive. You'll still need to trim properly and it would be good to put people and weight up front when possible.

Another thing to do is to trim down as far as you need to in order to plane easily at startup and then trim up slowly after you've gotten on plane. This will let you get on plane easily while still giving you the benefit of being trimmed up.
Old     (ridetilldeath)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-17-2006, 3:38 PM Reply   
ok
ill try going around 17 or 18 this weekend and trimming down with more people to the front.
if that doesnt work then ill think about the stabalizer
thanks for the help
Old    bamer001            05-19-2006, 4:06 AM Reply   
Check out Nauticus SMART TABS...I put them on my 04 Tahoe Q5 last year. They reduced minimum plane speed and time. I found no bad side effects....Cost about 190 bucks. No wires or hydraulics, it uses gas cylinders that act like shock absorbers
http://www.boatownersworld.com/smartabs/smart_tabs.htm
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-19-2006, 4:56 AM Reply   
Definately try those two, Sam. If they don't work, you're going to have to go with a lower pitched prop.
Old     (ridetilldeath)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-19-2006, 2:57 PM Reply   
i have an I/O
i thought the trim tabs were just for outboards??