Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 23, 2006

Old    ianhill            03-01-2006, 3:01 PM Reply   
Hey,
My name is Ian Hill, I'm a reporter for the Record newspaper (www.recordnet.com) in Stockton, CA. I'm doing a story on wakeboarding in the Delta here and I'd like to interview some wakeboarders and get their thoughts. If you're interested, please contact me at ihill@recordnet.com or (209) 943-8571 by noon on March 6.
Thanks,
Ian
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-01-2006, 3:05 PM Reply   
i'm sure the article will turn out great, but i do have something i'd like to add.

please interview "real" wakeboarders, not those that hang disco balls from their towers, hang-out at ski beach all day, and boards in the board racks and never gotten wet, that say that wakeboarding is about partying. sure, partying is great, but it isn't wakeboarding.

that's it. thanks.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-01-2006, 3:16 PM Reply   
Guess I'm not into wakeboarding.....
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-01-2006, 3:49 PM Reply   
You should talk to the CIE guys they ride more than everyone else put together.
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       03-01-2006, 4:26 PM Reply   
You should definitely talk to Kevin Bird. He is a ripper that lives in Stockton.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-01-2006, 5:06 PM Reply   
I second what Joe said all the way. Disco balls have their place.....IN THE DISCO!
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-01-2006, 5:20 PM Reply   
better those people stay on the beach than on your glass. i've never gone to a party spot. i don't know, i think i have a mortal fear of dumb, drunk guys.

good luck, ian. i hope you find true wakeboarders who portray the sport in its true light, instead of the stereotypes currently associated with wakeboarding and wakeboarders
Old     (tantrum916)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-01-2006, 6:11 PM Reply   
hey you should check in with guys like J-Rod, Evan and Billy they are from a group called CIE also look up Jason Buffalow you can find all of these guys here on wake workd. also look though the chicks who ride section there are quite a few delta girls on here all the time. Try looking up a girl called Getofish. Hope the info helps.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-01-2006, 6:14 PM Reply   
That's Teri (jetgofish)
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-01-2006, 7:04 PM Reply   
hey i live in disco. and in my group the disco ball only comes out in the hot summer weekends when its too choppy and too many other boats out there fighting for space to ride anywase. the delta gets hammered on the weekends. we also have the stripper pole mounted to the tower.

(Message edited by westsidarider on March 01, 2006)
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-02-2006, 7:40 AM Reply   
Jeff....tell me what a true wakeboarder is?

This arrogance of the "core" wakeboarder is so fun.....
Old     (dhr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-02-2006, 10:32 AM Reply   
definitely kevin bird he lives in stockton .
he also won the nationals for INT in outlaw divsion
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-02-2006, 11:00 AM Reply   
Wakeboarding isn't about partying? Life is one big party and wakeboarding is life. By default, wakeboarding is a part of the party.

IMO, Jason has described the essence of the wakeboarding lifestyle....good times, all the time. Wether your riding, surfing, hanging, etc.

I'm going to have to ask again, tell me what a true wakeboarder is?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-02-2006, 11:39 AM Reply   
imo, wakeboarding is about riding and partying. i don't care if you party or not. but, i think jason and other delta riders know who i'm talking about. the ones that put boards in the board racks, launch, go straight to garlic bros. for margaritas, then head to lost isle for some mai tais, then to ski beach for some coors light!

i don't mean to put people down if that's what they do. if that's your gig, that's fine, but it doesn't accurately describe 99% of us "true" wakeboarders, who enjoy both riding (whether you've got 10 inverts and can do 7s or can barely clear the wake) AND partying. i know the 2 definitely go hand-in-hand. hell, i've partied once or twice at the delta.

i guess what i'm saying is a "true" wakeboarder actually rides (level of riding is irrelevant).

quote:

the delta gets hammered on the weekends.

yeah, but vic slough and twin slough aren't the only places to ride at the delta.
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       03-02-2006, 12:56 PM Reply   
Joe, vic and twin are the only places to ride on the delta... there are no other spots at all. You make it sound like the delta is big and has other sloughs to ride.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-02-2006, 1:01 PM Reply   
arun, you're absolutely right. i don't know what i was thinking.
Old     (mr_incredible)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-02-2006, 1:12 PM Reply   
get a hold of Tom Conway, he owns the the DeltaWakeboardCamp.com which Kevin and Derek work at so they will help u out for sure
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-02-2006, 2:58 PM Reply   
exactly joe, a "true" wakeboarder is someone who rides for the love of the sport and just has fun with it, even if they suck (like me). by all means, party all you want--heck, buy a 70,000 dollar boat with the loudest speakers you can afford for all i care--that's fun too, and i'll probably be jealous of all the hot girls you can attract to your sundeck. but, if that's ALL you do, and you only wakeboard when you think enough people are watching you and your boat, then you're not a real wakeboarder. i didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. i think most of us here would qualify as "true" wakeboarders. if we had to choose, we would go for a good day of riding over a good day at a party spot. luckily, we can do both
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-02-2006, 4:40 PM Reply   
I don't know anything about the Delta!
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-02-2006, 5:04 PM Reply   
i love those guys, and gals, that hop into a 60plus thousand dollar wakeboard boat with no racks on the tower for boards, pull up at ski beach, and all pile out fully clothed and the chics wearing makeup and high heels. hahaha. thats classic. those guys are hardcore wakeboarders. i know you have all seen that a million times.
Old     (tantrum916)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-02-2006, 6:23 PM Reply   
Ya Jason, you never been on the Delta before. LOL
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-02-2006, 6:39 PM Reply   
I think Mike Schweene should be interviewed, he is IMO one of the most real guys in Nor Cal.
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       03-02-2006, 6:51 PM Reply   
Buffalow, you should check it out sometime. There is a guy out there that has taught and ridden with just about every ripper out there. You can't miss him... he is about 6'2, 280lbs and rolls a Malibu that has a macking wake. When you see him tell him I said WHAT UP!
Old     (tantrum916)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-02-2006, 7:08 PM Reply   
Buffalow, there's also this really rippen video about ridding on the delta I think its called Delta Sessions? Ya you should check it out some time. I heard they are coming out with a Delta Sessions II. You heard any thing about it?
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-03-2006, 4:28 AM Reply   
Yea I remember seeing that guy before, it was a super foggy morning at the delta and there was this ray of sunshine right in the middle of the fog, and there he was........
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-03-2006, 7:38 AM Reply   
Yhea the legend of the water buffalow.......
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-03-2006, 10:30 AM Reply   
Don't think you're gonna have too much trouble finding riders for a story. About ten legit riders have just rolled through this discussion. All local delta rippers.

Hit us up if you need any help with the story.
Old     (deltawakerider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-03-2006, 1:40 PM Reply   
i saw on the news in so cal that a levee broke (good song ...) in nor cal...hope it wasnt the dizzy delta if so where? i thought the governator was gonna put some $ up so this would stop...KEEP THE WATER IN THE DELTA 06' bitch!
Old     (domin8)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-03-2006, 3:24 PM Reply   
IMO when you speak with those riders who have also captured the other riders and their crews with some of the most incredible pic's and video you will really get this story right. Their unique perspective / expression / commitment to share through pic's and/or video has allowed many others who love the sport to share their passion.
Old    ianhill            03-03-2006, 4:16 PM Reply   
Thanks for the quick responses and info. I've gotten quite a few calls in response to this post and others on NorCal wake boards. I also talked to some of the people mentioned - Tom Conway and Kevin Bird, as well as others - and I'll probably be talking to more in the near future. Check out the story next Thursday at www.recordnet.com.
Thanks again.
Old    walt            03-03-2006, 4:34 PM Reply   
Good luck with your story Ian. I'm looking forward to reading it !
Old    ianhill            03-03-2006, 5:31 PM Reply   
Follow-up question - where are the best spots to ride in the Delta? Preferably the spots near Stockton? Any specific suggestions would be appreciated.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-03-2006, 5:57 PM Reply   
Ian,

That's like giving away a family recipe w/ secret ingrediants ;)

In all honesty the delta isn't just about this spot or that spot, thats what makes the delta special - you have thousands of miles of waterways to choose from...

Lzy
Old    walt            03-03-2006, 6:00 PM Reply   
Nice analogy Lzy.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-04-2006, 8:39 AM Reply   
thats the truth. pretty much anywhere but the main channels are will provide excellent riding conditions. there are some good spots for shooting movies or pictures that have good background but thats the only bennefit. you just gotta find your own personal favorite place. everyone has their own.
Old     (zride)      Join Date: May 2001       03-04-2006, 9:17 PM Reply   
make sure tell them how amazing the delta is. Like nowhere else. You could be the only boat practically on the delta in the middle of march....being towed in by a kind friend, and some dude towing a rippin rider like Keving Bird directly towards both boats and the tow rope. Flag waving N all....but still no response. As if they dont even see you. Although the slough has enough room to fit a yatch on the other side they drive by muggin as if your in their way. hahh the delta, gotta love it!
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-05-2006, 2:29 PM Reply   
Hey isaac i am really sorry that it all happened, it seems as though everyone in the boat was scrambling around doing something. As for me i was riding and had absolutely no control over the situation and to tell you the truth i dont think we realized a vessel had lost power until we were too near you. I am sorry that this happened but i want you to sincerely know that it was not done on puporse or to look cool. It sucks when things like that happen and i am sorry, from me and the others in the boat. I hope too see you out there again. Sincerely Kevin Bird
Old     (zride)      Join Date: May 2001       03-05-2006, 5:42 PM Reply   
Hey Kevin its no problem. Actually it wasnt even my boat. I was with Aaron Nielsen on his new X2. Seriously I am cool and I understand fully that you were riding and had no control. Thankful our buddy Sanger Mike was able to stop and rotate hia boat out of the way. Anyway that was a sick move...was that a crow mobe or a scarecrow? I look forward to riding with you at Tulloch and hopefully we see each other again before then. Again its all good and fully understand its was not intentional. Hope all is well . Again you were lookin good for how cold it was out there.Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-05-2006, 6:43 PM Reply   
Sick pics, good to hear all is well.
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-05-2006, 8:05 PM Reply   
oops that was us... hahaha didnt mean to but the boat was a heavy b*t*h... we were passing you w/o messing up the line for bird and didnt know you were dead out there... then your boat was being blown by the wind... once again sorry bout that .. no hard feelings..
Old     (zride)      Join Date: May 2001       03-05-2006, 8:21 PM Reply   
hey no problem seriously....we definately dont have any hard feelings what-so-ever. The Bird man was killin it out there. Hope to see you at Spring Ride!
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-06-2006, 5:56 AM Reply   
Kev - We know you were just in tow (& killin it) & I did see ya shrug your shoulders like ya were sorry. Ryan all good, situation sucked, just glad no one got hurt, thats the key. Dwelling on it does nobody any good, its a leason learned, we'll see ya guys back out on the water next weekend.

-=peace=-
Lzy
Old     (zride)      Join Date: May 2001       03-06-2006, 4:13 PM Reply   
the runs that did us in....what we'll do for a lil photo op. :-)Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload