Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 23, 2006

Old    thejinn            02-24-2006, 9:34 PM Reply   
Hi y'all
Its time for me to get a new board, and the choice looks like the O'Brien Natural 139 or the CWB Absolute 135. Had a chance to demo both this weekend and I'm in a dilemna. I'm coming off an 2001 Premier (see what I mean by time for a new board).
I really liked the way the Natural felt and the speed and liked the way it held the edge relative to the Premier (I ride everything finless btw), and i really really liked the way it released off the wake. What I didn't like about it is how (relatively) difficult it is to get the fins out of the water on backside slides. Maybe I'm not used to it. Also felt like it was popping me more out rather than up, and I'd prefer height over distance, people in the boat were undecided if I was getting more air with the Natural vs the Absolute. Definitely a more exciting ride vs the Premier/Absolute, but I can't tell if its just because I'm so used to the Premier's slower speed and feel or I was just stoked on the different style.

On the other hand, the Absolute felt exactly like my Premier, just significantly more pop, and a wee bit looser.

So. Should I stick to what i'm used to, ie the Absolute or go with the new stick?
Just looking for opinions on the two boards, particularly the Natural. may also demo the Watson tomorrow hmmmm .
I've pretty much searched down everything that's been said about the Absolute on this site but doesn't seem much out there on the Natural.

Any thoughts?

Old    lok            02-25-2006, 1:50 AM Reply   
go the natural i rekon i have one and i love it but i havent riden an absolute so cant comment on that. maybe demo the boards a few more times might make ur choice easier
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-25-2006, 11:06 AM Reply   
GET THE FREAKING NATURAL FOR SURE!!!!!! It is the finest board I have riden. Then get some Radons or Argons and your freaking set up!
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-25-2006, 11:24 AM Reply   
Just for the heck of it, try the 135 Marius. My son rides the bigger one and loves the speed(faster than both), the pop(up not out)and the landings are sooo soft.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-25-2006, 4:49 PM Reply   
Here is my take on the Natural from last summer:

Check out the O'Brien Natural. It is the fastest 3 stage board I have ever ridden. No drag, but still has sweet POP and very soft landings. I quit riding 3 stage boards a few years ago because they all seemed to slow for me. This year I hopped on the Natural and it was like I had been riding that board my whole life. I rode in a local contest 1 week after switching to the Natural and I won my division and stuck everything I knew how to do. I hadn't done that all year.

The Natural has really good grip and tracks well. I would say the Natural without fins tracks a little better then the Valhalla without fins, but not as much as the Demented.

I used to ride the Demented and then the Valhalla and I really liked both boards, but there is something about the Natural that really works for me. I know I sound like a dork saying it, but it just feels Natural to ride the Natural. The interesting thing is that it is a three stage board and I have been riding continuous rocker boards for the last 2.5 years.

I got on the Natural and everything clicked and it felt great!

Check it out,
jjakober
Old     (andrew_dyrhood)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-26-2006, 7:10 AM Reply   
Absolute....Anyone who gets on it falls in love with it
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-26-2006, 1:20 PM Reply   
Andrew, your opinion whouldn't have anything to do with your board sponsor would it I would suggest you try out the HL 3DS with the 0.7 fins or the 06 premier, very diffirent board then your 01.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       02-26-2006, 4:36 PM Reply   
I had a 04 Premier just switched to AbsolutePlat, huge difference, loads of pop, super loose with no fins. You have to edge harder and ride the edge all the way up the wake, not like the premier which will somewhat rewards bad form.

The Absolute IMO will improve you riding. I really didn't like it at first but now I can't wait to ride it again.
Old    thejinn            02-26-2006, 5:14 PM Reply   
Hey thanks for all the comments;

lachie; yeah i really liked the natural, I'm definitely leaning in that direction, but the nice thing about the absolute is there's no learning curve on that board for me because I'm so used to the feel of it.

Andy; thanks, another vote for the natural; incidentally have you ridden the absolute? how do you think they compare?

tommyc; little chance for me to try the marius, CWB demo programs here are nonexistent, I had to borrrow the Absolute from a friend of a friend to have a go :-(

Jakober; cheers, i've seen that post when i search the natural on this site

Andrew; yeah the Absolute is sweet, no question about it. My dilemna is whether to go with something familiar or with a new shape.

Randy; heh, yeah i'd imagine andrew would be biased to CWB eh ;) Little chance here to demo hyperlite, very poorly represented in this neck of the woods. I compared the bottom of the 01 premier with the absolute; its really really similar, same kind/size of fins, same kinda tips shapes, just the premier has these little channels along the length of the board and the absolute has a crockload more rocker. when comparing the natural to the 01 premier they had almost exactly the same rocker (despite the natural being a 139 and the premier a 135), and the natural was wider in the middle by about an inch. plus different tip, fins, and that chevron pattern (which looks suspiciously like a gimmick, but it can't hurt so i don't mind)

Machew; thats for that, but not sure how the 04 premier compares with the 01... i like the absolute, like you said, great pop plus super loose without fins ... i'm just thinking that the natural may be more ... fun (at least for me).
Old    thejinn            02-28-2006, 11:10 PM Reply   
heck, the Natural sold out, gonna have to wait 2-3 weeks for new shipment :-(
Old     (andrew_dyrhood)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-01-2006, 7:31 AM Reply   
Randy- YEs sponsor influences alot, i rode the tfd when it first came out and really liked it. I'm sure the changes to the 3ds are awesome too. I'm actually on a transcend now and I'm loving it! Sickest pop and fast!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-01-2006, 10:35 AM Reply   
hey C.... I love the Absolute platinum. Tons of straight up pop, but kinda slow. You want something different and exciting after the Premier, then try the Pure or the Sol. They are both cheaper boards, but you'll be amazed. The Sol is a rocket board. I totally changed my style just by riding that board. Everything was bigger than I'd ever taken it. The Pure is a blend between the Sol and the Absolute. More pop, but still very fast and loose. It sounds like it rides a lot like the Natural. Doesn't even really feel like a 3 stage. Pops up and out at the same time.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       03-01-2006, 11:39 AM Reply   
Do you want to progress or start all over again with a new shape? Go with what your used to you will progress alot more this summer IMO. The Absolute is one of the best shapes on the market and always has been. "Thanks Zane"
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-01-2006, 6:49 PM Reply   
Randy, so you're saying that sponsorship doesn't bias you opinion too? Your kid rides for Hype right?

As for the boards, you gotta go with what felt the best to you. The Absolute is such a sweet ride. My favorite feature would be its ridiculous release off the wake, easy to initiate spins etc. I've riddent a lot of boards and always come back to my Absolute (despite sponsorship I ride other brand boards to see what they are like). I've never ridden the Natural so I can't comment.
Old    joe49er            03-02-2006, 7:14 AM Reply   
stephan, maybe if you rode the Natural you wouldn't come back to the Absolute!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-02-2006, 8:43 AM Reply   
Thanks Joe, that was profound. Personally I don't like hooked rails so the shape doesn't interest me.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-02-2006, 3:44 PM Reply   
the natural is the sexiest board on the earth.
its insanely fast for a full 3 stage. and because of the 3 stage the pop is almost out of control. I have been getting bucked on dubs like crazy.
Old    thejinn            03-02-2006, 7:15 PM Reply   
CIE: yeah, I was really keen on trying the Absolute, based on what I've read on WWorld, so was little surprised I didn't take that well to it; great board no question, but think the Natural's more for me.
In any case, I've tried a friend's Pure, and that didn't work for me: great pop, nice and loose, but I felt it was sitting very deep in the water, and I really didn't like that (even keeping in mind i ride in nothing but seawater)
incidentally, is there much of a difference between the absolute and the absolutePlat (other than the weight)? cos I demoed the Absolute, not the AbsolutePlat...

I figure I'll give the natural a try for a year, in the worst case scenario, and i find myself missing the 01 premier feel too much, I'll switch boards, the cost of a trade shouldn't be too much.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-03-2006, 7:19 AM Reply   
The Platinum pops of the wake a little harder. It basically has a snappier core.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-03-2006, 7:47 PM Reply   
Not only does the Natural ride sweet, it looks pretty sweet also!!

front

Back

PS: The Argon bindings kick butt