Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 23, 2006

Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-16-2006, 12:11 PM Reply   
some of you might have seen my post a while back about making a homemade roam type board. well i did it for less than 10 bucks and maybe 2 hours of time that i would have spent sitting around doing nothing. it is just a piece of 1/2" plywood that i bent into shape. i took the shapped piece of wood (cut out with a jigsaw) and wet it down real good with the water hose then placed it on two milk crates spaced out at the tip/tail then put a poo load of weight in the middle so it bent, left it that way for a week or so. then i coated it with 2 THICK coats of spar urethane. it has been holding the rocker line (3.5") for nearly a month now with no weight on it, so i dont see why it wont keep holding. it is also asymmetrical, the toeside edge has more of a cut in point and the heelside is nearly flat, so from what i understand the heelside should be faster but there is no telling how it will actually act. it has BIG round edges so i wont catch an edge. the meaning of the graphics: JBC=Joyner Board Co. Pith Definition - 1)The essential or central part; the heart or essence. 2)Strength; vigor; mettle 3)Significance; importance

Length - 137.8(54 1/4in)
Tip/Tail Width - 38.1cm(15in)
Mid Width - 35.56cm(14in)
Rocker 3.5in continuous
Rideablility - Unknown

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-16-2006, 12:15 PM Reply   
That is crazy cool. You'll have to let us know how it rides. Are you going to be taking orders?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-16-2006, 12:16 PM Reply   
interesting. Give us a report after you ride. I'm thinking your stance looks a little narrow.
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-16-2006, 12:25 PM Reply   
Jarret - haha not taking any orders

J-Rod - yeah i was thinking the same thing, but the actual stance is comfortable but i dont know how it will be on the water
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-16-2006, 12:29 PM Reply   
the stance is a full 2" narrower than my stance on my absolute, so we will see. if it sucks i dont really care it will make a fun bash board
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-16-2006, 1:09 PM Reply   
I wouldn't leave it in the sun any more than you have to, otherwise I think it will lose some of the rocker. I am going to try this when summer rolls around, but I think I am going to use a little glass and resin. Let us now how it rides. It definitely looks cool.

(Message edited by srh00z on February 16, 2006)
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-16-2006, 3:11 PM Reply   
i would use the glass and resin from each outside edge of your bindings through the middle of the board so it has enuf stifness to get some pop out of it and leave the ends unglassed so u can get some bend out of it for manuals and presses.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-16-2006, 3:14 PM Reply   
how are you bindings mounted? you should have inserts in the board underneath a couple coats of resin otherwise you will pull ur bindings right out. that might be hazardous.
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-16-2006, 3:26 PM Reply   
Retarted? Is that like eating a pop tart twice?
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-16-2006, 3:33 PM Reply   
roger - yes exactly. try it sometime its pretty entertaining . i just didnt notice that when i made the post, oh well

jason - i didnt glass it because i wanted to keep cost at a minimum and fiberglass and resin is pretty costly, i just did this to see how it works out, if it works well enought ill make another one and glass the whole thing. the bindings are mounted with stainless carrage bolts, remember "ghetto" but it works!
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-16-2006, 3:35 PM Reply   
i dont think im going to use this thing for wake to wake stuff just messing around pressing and ollieing. anything more than that might be hazardous to my health, but i know im going to try it atleast once!
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       02-16-2006, 4:53 PM Reply   
I'll wait for the pith platinumum to come out before I get excited. j/k

That looks pretty good for just putting 2 hours in to it. Nice work. Just be careful not to bust yourself up on that thing.
Old     (jwr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-16-2006, 4:53 PM Reply   
Dude, deffinatly tell us how it rides. How do you put resin and glass on that?
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-16-2006, 6:56 PM Reply   
I agree you're stance does look a little narrow.

It'd be cool if someone held a contest of who could make the best homemade wakeboard.

great job

BTW does it float?
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-16-2006, 8:38 PM Reply   
ben - im not real sure if it floats or not. im not going to be able to try it behind a boat untill april and its killing me. my bet would be that its not going to float very well, it weighs 9lbs without bindings
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-17-2006, 5:39 AM Reply   
I was thinking about doing one of these a few summers ago. But instead of all plywood, I was going to use 2 thin layers of plexiglass and a thin layer of plywood in the middle, then have the whole thing fiberglassed or some type of resin. Just and idea? Maybe I will try it this summer.
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-17-2006, 8:51 AM Reply   
did the old post have a HOW TO in it cause im interested in that?????

dude that is sooo sick that u made one
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       02-17-2006, 10:15 AM Reply   
I have a solution for the flotation problem. Maybe screw a pad from an old lifejacket to it. I am picturing one of those big thick red ones circa 1970. It will definately will help with the ghetto appeal. I recommend fastening it between the bindings so the stellar graphics still shine out and also to keep down the 'swing weight'.
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-17-2006, 2:28 PM Reply   
leo - sounds like a good idea, i was thinking something along the same lines for the next one i make (if i do), someone posted it up when i asked how to keep the shape (old post), take 2 sheets of 1/4" plywood and put fiberglass between the two and sandwich them together then put thick layer or resin or even fiberglass down the rails.

Ryan - no i think the old post title was something like "making a roam type board have a question"

Jonathan - GREAT idea! haha but i think the bindings will float the board. i had them on in the bath tub and they will float my legs, well kinda. so the board should stay on top of the water im 98% positive
Old     (jwr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-17-2006, 3:14 PM Reply   
So, anyone want to enlighten me on where to get the glass and resin, how to use it, and what it does? cause i think i might made a skate or surfer.
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-17-2006, 3:42 PM Reply   
Justin - no glass was involved in this, just wood and urethane, if i make another it will be glassed
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-17-2006, 3:43 PM Reply   
oh to answer the other part of you question look at www.westmarine.com im not really familiar with how to use fiberglass but im sure you can find some info on it on the web, try google
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-18-2006, 11:29 AM Reply   
damn, thats dope right there...definatly post up some riding pics when you get out with it (or perhaps even a video)