Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 23, 2006

Old    w8less1            02-13-2006, 12:55 PM Reply   
Talking to a friend that boards the Delta. He was wakeboarding a slough near bullfrogs (He wasnt sure of exact location). He took a fall and while he was waiting for the boat to come around he felt something brush against his leg, scared at first not knowing what touched him he decided to find out if something was really down there and found it was a steel "I" beam stuck to the ground, about a foot from under the water.

Has anyone found any dangers similar to this?

I have seen hugh logs floating around but if this is really true somebody can get seriously injured and also cause damage to the boat.

(Message edited by w8less1 on February 13, 2006)
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-13-2006, 1:47 PM Reply   
Yeah, I've heard of things like this before. Personally haven't ever had any really bad experiences. That area over by Bull Frog is kinda sketchy. There is a bunch of submergerd concrete blocks that they use for wake breaks.

My advice would be to be careful about riding near the shoreline or in water that is un-known.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-13-2006, 1:54 PM Reply   
Is bullfrogs over kinda by railroad?

(Message edited by twakess on February 13, 2006)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-13-2006, 2:12 PM Reply   
Squid. Yes
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-13-2006, 2:16 PM Reply   
The delta is a very dangerous place i think every one should all stick to the lakes!! (where it's safe)
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-13-2006, 2:23 PM Reply   
Bullfrog Marina is just East and a couple hundred feet North of Railroad.

Never heard or seen anything in that area, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-13-2006, 2:24 PM Reply   
Ben,

Thnx for the 411, I have also heard of simillar issues ( few an far inbetween), usually super close to the shoreline though. Evan mentioned the concrete block mess in front of Bullfrogs / by Railroad and I would definately stay away from that.. Slough is a good 200 + feet wide in that area so stay in the middle. If he wasnt directly by that concrete break please they and get some more info if possible.

Also is he sure it was a huge Ibeam or more like a bobwire fence post? thnc for the heads up!

Lzy
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-13-2006, 2:45 PM Reply   
There are definitely some submerged I beams over by Bullfrog's.
A friend did some serious damage to their Waverunners over there. The location should be out of the way for wakeboarding though. Stay towards the middle.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-13-2006, 2:55 PM Reply   
Well I would say two seasons ago that was right where a friends tracking fin got ripped right off. To this day we don't know what it was. But now I bet it was that mess of blocks. Yes and the marina was right across from where we hit.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-13-2006, 5:21 PM Reply   
Squid,

Anyone I know driving the boat that day?
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-13-2006, 6:12 PM Reply   
good thing i ride finless. hahaha. yea i have heard quite a few of the same type of stories. luckily i have yet to witness one firsthand
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-13-2006, 7:00 PM Reply   
I was turning around to pick up a downed rider on Victoria slew one day, windy, came off plane and turned the boat maybe 15-20' from the rocky side of the levy, a bit closer than I prefer to be, but clearly within most people's "normal" operating zone for Vics. Felt the prop tag something hard, then the tell-tale vibration when coming out of the hole, you know the feeling. Anyway, the prop was bent and we found a thin deep gash at the point of impact with rust embedded in the prop that obviously came off whatever we (I) hit. Judging from the shape of the gash, I'm guessing that we hit a piece of rebar, but who really knows?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-13-2006, 8:54 PM Reply   
I'm surprised no riders have hit submerged objects in the delta (that I know of). I would hate to see someone faceplant Killingsworth style. Tonight when we were leaving Orwood, I spotted a piece of lumber floating with nails protruding. It would really suck to tag that.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-13-2006, 9:35 PM Reply   
Rich, hehe yep. Note to self don't let pros drive boats.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-14-2006, 11:14 AM Reply   
EVERYBODY STAY AWAY - DELTA BAD! SEALS, REBAR, BODY BAGS, DIRTY WATER, TOO MANY PEOPLE,ETC.... - DELTA BAD!
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-14-2006, 11:23 AM Reply   
My wife and I were cruising the delta one day near Mossdale on the PWC when when we hit something that rocked it pretty good. When we turned around to see what it was it was a tree about 6" under water. Luckily we were going in the direction we were because the tree grew up at a 45 and then stopped. If we were goig the other way I could see it punching a hole it the bottom or at least doing some good damage.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       02-14-2006, 7:36 PM Reply   
Good thing no boats get damaged on lakes cause there would be no safe places left to ride, I agree with Jason--Delta Bad!
Old     (kody_a)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-17-2006, 3:57 PM Reply   
Body bag? How did those get there.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-17-2006, 5:18 PM Reply   
Stockton chapter of La Cosa Nostra has been dumping bodies in the Delta for decades.
Old     (kody_a)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-18-2006, 8:29 AM Reply   
Wow isnt that like ilegall, I am staying away from there. I would hate to be sitting in the water waiting to get pulled and see a body float by.

Is it really that bad or do they weigh the bodies down to the bottom. Still I would not like to be riding with a bunch of died people. Sounds like something out of a horrer(sp) movie.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-18-2006, 8:37 AM Reply   
Happens a lot of places kody. Few years ago bodies were popping up at new melones from the russian mafiosa. Lake tahoe is so cold bodies dont re-surface for a few months, so every once in a while someone will pop up.

I think everyone should boycott the delta and the inherent dangers that come with it. I will take it upon myself to be there on a weekly basis just to make sure you guys hold true to your promises.

Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-18-2006, 8:45 AM Reply   
I don't know if it is illegal or not. I know there has been alot of young men in various decomposing states washed up along the shores of the delta. Usually there is a leg missing, and thats where the cement boots were applied then it rots away. There getting preety smart because they even cut out the jaw to make it less identifiable. Scary stuff !
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-18-2006, 9:52 AM Reply   
Where do you think that SOB Scott Peterson got the idea ? Duh! The delta is not a place for the faint hearted or the people who are maticulous about there boats. Unless you stay in the safe areas and they aren't even always safe.. A seal last weak tried to attack one of my riders. He was just sitting there in the boat with his hand over the side and almost got bit because he was filling up the fat sac. I think the noise from the pump was the same sound of a dying fish. He cicled the boat a couple of times like a shark but he wass giving us direct eye to eye contact. No BS story here folks.
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-18-2006, 10:01 AM Reply   
To top it off that seal crawled on the back of my deck but we picked up a baseball bat and he jumped off. He was trying to sink the boat. Hard to believe but i have 2 witnesses. He was an easy 1000 #. We rode ,but if he wanted to catch us there was no way we could have stoped him. I know for a fact that they can swim in exess of 60 mph.
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-18-2006, 11:23 AM Reply   
So you keep a bat just in case of seal attack?
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-18-2006, 12:15 PM Reply   
I think dynamite would have been a better choice in this scenario; the concussion would have seriously messed up his equilibrium And dont worry, dynamite always blows down. .

I was watching a shark attack thing on discovery and they were saying that a lot of bull sharks make they ways into delta waters and often attack humans due to lack of visibility in the murky waters.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-18-2006, 12:17 PM Reply   
BTW Dennis, hows it hangin? Sorry we didnt get to ride more last summer, it was pretty hectic. Hows the riding coming along?

Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-18-2006, 9:07 PM Reply   
Preety good. Not so good on the riding. but i got a new secret weapon. Dude way to go on the purchase of a sweet boat. Your a fine young man i can tell because you have your priorities right. Next time maybe i can hook up with you and see your sweet ride Matt.
Old    sonicr1            02-18-2006, 9:21 PM Reply   
I have a buddy who almost sank his boat off Mossdale because of a tree stump, as Cory pointed out... will never go back there. I have seen some poles and posts sticking out up by 14 mile, but they are mostly off to the side.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-19-2006, 12:14 AM Reply   
Delta is an eerie place, it's all but abandoned now after countless reports of missing people. Its filthy murky waters hide many secrets, too terrible to be spoken of. It's a sick, troubled place, that Delta.. Everyone should stay away..
Old    jetgofish            02-19-2006, 9:42 AM Reply   
Wow - I see a definate pattern here so I'll say nothing ...
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-19-2006, 10:09 AM Reply   
Not to mention the skin eating e-choli from a few years back.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-19-2006, 1:28 PM Reply   
sounds like the delta has a lot of things to jib if you ask me, im there!