Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 23, 2006

Old     (grenade)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-23-2006, 4:19 PM Reply   
I went to ride the spot last year and it was one of the best experiences ever and I'm looking to go somewhere for my spring break this year. Just wondering what everyone else's take on the other two camps are. Thanks alot
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-23-2006, 9:06 PM Reply   
Patrick,
If your looking for luxory accomidations and the best riding conditions then go back to "The SPOT"
The others might be a little cheaper but It's the old "get what you pay for"
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-23-2006, 11:09 PM Reply   
We did the boarding school about 2 years ago with a group of friends which were all at different levels of riding. That did not make any difference as Shaun and Travis were able to put things into perspective for each rider’s ability. By the end of the week everyone had progressed and everyone learned a few new tricks. The best part is that Shaun and Travis are totally down to earth and being on the boat with them is none stop entertainment. Plus getting to watch Shaun ride in person is almost worth the price of admission alone!

The accommodations are A+ with the fridge stocked with plenty of food and drinks! The sleeping arrangements are excellent as well. There’s a plethora of Hyperlite gear to choose from if you want to ride different boards or bindings. And.. there’s a fully stocked LX sunglass display case so you can try out different glasses through out the day on the boat. In addition there's a ton of wakeboard videos to watch during the evening, an x-box and PS2, a guitar, a stereo, etc...

I'm probably missing a bunch of stuff and I'm sure others will be able to fill in the blanks... Basically everything you need and more! Their only downfall is that they fill up fast, so if you are planning a trip soon you better call now!
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-24-2006, 8:13 AM Reply   
I agree with Kung-Fu and Ryan about their picks, but...O-Town is the bomb. Glen Fletcher is a great instructor. Many of the pros and almost pros go there. The accomadations a nice, but not spectaculor. But the location of the school is grat, close to restaraunts, movies, stores and stuff. I know that after a while you tend to get bored if your just cooped up in one place.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-24-2006, 8:25 AM Reply   
My wife and I went to the Boarding School. I would highly recommend their facility. It's a nice house on the water, nice boats, great guys. Be ready to ride, as we were pretty busy from almost sunup to sundown! Shaun even helped me change my tire!

Eric
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-25-2006, 6:45 PM Reply   
Love the boarding school as well, Shaun and Travis are great, the camp is awesome. I too recommend Otown, my kids have progressed there sooo much. Those are the only two camps I would pay for. All others (again, east coast remember) have been a complete waste of time and money.
Old     (bankssa)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-26-2006, 11:10 AM Reply   
You can't beat Shaun and Travis for having fun... Been to RTS and Boarding School.... no contest!
Old     (grenade)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-26-2006, 12:52 PM Reply   
Scott, you would recommend boarding school over rts? I went to ride the spot and although I dont have anything to compare it to it was one of the best experiences ever and i progressed a lot more than i thought was possible.
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       01-26-2006, 2:08 PM Reply   
sounds like i made the right choice-- a friend & i are going to the boarding school the first week of march. i'm counting the days!
Old     (grenade)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-26-2006, 4:31 PM Reply   
what days, i might be there depending on if i ever make up my mind.
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       01-26-2006, 5:04 PM Reply   
march 6-10. call & see if there is an opening left. it would be cool to have another wakeworlder there.
Old     (grenade)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-26-2006, 7:35 PM Reply   
thats the week i was planning on going, i've already spoken to Travis to make sure there were spots...I guess i might see you down there.
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       01-27-2006, 5:12 AM Reply   
that's cool, i'm looking forward to it!
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-27-2006, 5:21 AM Reply   
I went to The Boarding School a couple of years ago when it first opened. It was a great experience.
The nights, however, were uneventful. There was nothing to do except eat and/or watch tv. I suggest
you rent a car just in case you feel doing something at night.
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       01-28-2006, 11:53 AM Reply   
hopefully i'll be too worn out to want to go out, but thanks for the heads up-- i'll have some wheels with me.

Old     (oldguy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       01-28-2006, 2:32 PM Reply   
THE BOARDING SCHOOL

Laid Back, Tons of Fun, Great People , Lots of Personality.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-28-2006, 2:37 PM Reply   
I have friends that had a great time with Shaun & Travis at the Boarding School, said they would go back. My son has been training with Glen Fletcher at O'town for the last 3 years, great coach.
Old    358army            02-05-2006, 10:10 AM Reply   
hey thanks for giving props to o-town randy, we do our best.....
Old     (wellsrts)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-05-2006, 12:30 PM Reply   
if it aint broke, dont fix it !
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-05-2006, 1:36 PM Reply   
The canada connection of Brad & Kyle also coach at O'town and are responsable for many new tricks and lots of good times, eh' Brad keep yo stick on the ice, foo!
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-06-2006, 1:41 PM Reply   
I agree with Randy about Otown. I guess Glen is the man there, but Brad is no slouch either. I had a day with him last week and benefitted by his knowing when to push me to try something I thought was beyond me.

Otown is a different experience to what the others offer, will save you money and definately has the coaching to improve your riding.

Good luck.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-06-2006, 2:09 PM Reply   
Hey Chuck J- myself and a buddy of mine will be with you guys that same week. We're only staying through Wednesday though. Should be a lot of fun. See you there.
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       02-06-2006, 3:34 PM Reply   
awesome, i'm counting the days! it'll be cool to meet some more people from this site.
Old    358army            02-07-2006, 9:30 AM Reply   
chase. glad to hear you had a good time here, thanks for the compliment man, your the kind of student i like to here from, hope to see you back here soon man.....
Old    358army            02-07-2006, 10:00 AM Reply   
hey randy,checkin the books and just curious bout when your comin in. glen says alex just gonna do 2 sets a day minus wednesday, and is he staying with us, we getting pretty booked up, just let us know when you can man.... look forward to seein you, let's go out for some drinks that week.....
Old     (djiali)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-08-2006, 2:30 PM Reply   
one of our members just took a trip down to FL and went to The Wakeboard Camp, O'Town Watersports, and Orlando Wakeboard Academy. He came home and wrote a great article outlining his experiences: http://www.dcwake.com/content/view/60/1/
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-08-2006, 3:11 PM Reply   
That was a great article and confirmed what we said about Otown. Nice read, thanks!
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-08-2006, 4:44 PM Reply   
Wade, thanks for sharing the article, well written. Brad, I well call you tommorow with the details for Alex's week, maybe we should do 3 sets a day.
Old    malibu36            02-08-2006, 6:18 PM Reply   
ride the spot all the way!! no questions asked. if you were already there and liked it why would you change.
whats up massive? lasso any cats lately?
Old     (grenade)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-08-2006, 8:16 PM Reply   
is massive still there?
Old     (djiali)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-09-2006, 2:18 AM Reply   
thanks guys. had it posted as it's own thread earlier, but the mods decided to take it down. Dunno why.
Old     (whitlock87)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-09-2006, 5:45 AM Reply   
Can somebody send me some links for a wakeboarding camp that would good for a 15-year-old rider?
Thanks
David
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-09-2006, 6:35 AM Reply   
David

It really depends on what you are looking for. Read the article Wade posted above. it might help with how you make your decision, but it does not cover the more expensive camps listed in this thread.

Old     (wellsrts)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-09-2006, 1:25 PM Reply   
whats up todd, still rockin the camp with Drock. how you been? comin to see us soon?
Old     (grenade)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-09-2006, 4:15 PM Reply   
anyone want to join me at the spot haha, kind of weird being the only one
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-09-2006, 11:06 PM Reply   
the spot rules!!!
Old     (wellsrts)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-10-2006, 11:06 AM Reply   
whats up ryan, wish i could have been there for the b-day party. hope all is well.
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-10-2006, 6:57 PM Reply   
BIG D,
Darin and I got some really good waves first week of Dec. Let me know when you guys are coming back out.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-10-2006, 7:52 PM Reply   
Dave...looks like you are in Ca. Without a doubt Mike Schwenne's West Coast Camps rules. I went there last year and it was such an awesome time and experience. I am going back this year. He runs a first class camp. Mike and his staff of coaches are total gentlemen and incredible riders and instructors. You live on a houseboat for the week and ride as much as you want or can. The food is terrific and the atmosphere is fun and professional. Also, there are three weeks that are set aside for riders of all ages. You could go with your son and have a great week together. It is held at Lake McClure...east of Modesto. I am taking 2 more friends from my club this year and am so stoked. I can't wait to get back there. I can't say enough good things about West Coast Camps. And it's right in our backyard. Check it out.
Old     (wellsrts)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-11-2006, 2:28 PM Reply   
yeah man, he showed the gashes on his feet and back from the reef. we are goin to mexico next week, but we will come see you soon. later man
Old    rattray            02-15-2006, 9:41 AM Reply   
Patrick, If your looking for another camp to check out this winter check out the otown website. Glen Fletcher is the head coah here and is one of the best coaches to work with. We've also just built a bunch of new sliders, check out www.otownwatersports.com
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-15-2006, 7:12 PM Reply   
Are we talking Cali?, West Coast Camps is awesome, and if they are booked, Delta Wakeboard Camps is having it's freshman summer. Save your money and hit up one of these two or in Florida, again, none other than Otown (see above) or the boarding school.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-15-2006, 7:20 PM Reply   
Kyle, we will see you in March, Smokey Bones?
Old    rattray            02-16-2006, 6:08 AM Reply   
Hey Randy, Yeah i deffently will be here. Me and buskas are here now all winter getting ready for tour. is that when you guys are coming down?
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-22-2006, 8:37 PM Reply   
I am headed to Murray's the week of March 6. I am so excited to go I can't sleep at night. Hopefully I will learn a bunch of new stuff.