Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-12-2005, 1:01 AM Reply   

Old     (jaubrey)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-12-2005, 2:03 AM Reply   
How was the wake and how did the transome speakers sound?
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-12-2005, 4:54 AM Reply   
One of the pictures looked like the boat has 2 rudders.??? Could we see a picture from the rear please?
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-12-2005, 6:50 AM Reply   
The more I see this boat the more I like it.
Is this an actual production model?
I like the dash
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-12-2005, 8:27 AM Reply   
Even the camoflouge grows on me after a while.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-12-2005, 8:31 AM Reply   
The dash is sweet.
Old     (tvreeland)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-12-2005, 9:17 AM Reply   
I always wanted a snow camo boat
Old     (mcx2ryd)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-12-2005, 9:55 AM Reply   
That is sick.. love the color scheme. wake pics!!???
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-12-2005, 11:08 AM Reply   
That is a cool boat. What are the buttons on the shifter for?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-12-2005, 12:13 PM Reply   
Wow, that camo is crazy looking. I like!! Is that Aaron Reed's boat?
Old    walt            11-12-2005, 12:30 PM Reply   
That camo color makes it look like a navy destroyer.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-12-2005, 12:31 PM Reply   
Dang, Pete, you read my mind!
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-12-2005, 1:49 PM Reply   
Too bad there was so much BS hype towards this product before it was actually a reality, I am somewhat jaded towards it. I think in some ways it's following in the footsteps of Sessions resulting from a few careless posts.

The dash looks nice, I will pass on the camo color scheme, I would guess the buttons on the throttle handle operate the trim plate, not a fan of the stub nose.

Doesn't Centurion have a patent on those sideswipe exhausts?

Judging by the underwater swim platform and seeing how far it is from the bottom of the hull this thing has a huge displacement. I hope it has the power to move? No doubt the wake is going to be quite large.
Old     (praisinplaya)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-12-2005, 1:52 PM Reply   
Overall I love the look of the epic, but think if I were to order one, I would get it without the titan series 1 tower. Is it just me or does this tower look horrible on this boat, as well as very outdated. I think a titan series 3 or even 2 would make the overall look of the boat 10 times better.

(Message edited by praisinplaya on November 12, 2005)
Old    walt            11-12-2005, 1:57 PM Reply   
PraisinPlaya, I agree with you about the titan.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-12-2005, 2:37 PM Reply   
I was out riding when they pulled up to the dock on the ski course, so I did not get a close-up look. I kept watching it running around, and saying "wow! sweet-looking boat. I'm usually not big on camo, but it looked HOT on the Epic. We were on the dock at the ski course, and the Epic was about half way down the course, and I heard a stereo crankin' pretty nice. I looked down the course, and someone else said "is that coming from them?". I noticed there were no speakers on the tower. Then I realized it was the rear mounted transom speakets (forgot the name of the set-up). It sounded GREAT, and we were way far away from it. I think It makes much more sense that speakers on the tower.

Chris,

Congrats on the boat. I have talked with you before at Fiesta Island, but this was my first look at the boat up close. Sounds sweet with the side exhaust. Don't worry about all the negative BS that goes on. None of the complainers have the time, dedication, or smarts to do what you have done. BIG props to you for taking this on, and wishing you much success in the future. Hope to see you at San V again soon.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-12-2005, 3:31 PM Reply   

Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-12-2005, 4:05 PM Reply   
Am I wrong or that command says VOLVO PENTA??????

I really like this boat, seems much better than the other one that was posted before.
One thing I'd like to see is it planning angle while pulling a rider or cruising, it seems the bow is to high for my taste
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-12-2005, 10:35 PM Reply   
Jared Aubrey
The transom audio is ridiculous. At 80 feet out it is clear as whistle. The great thing is... it will be wired differently soon and more power will be fed to the transom audio creating even more db's to the rider. As far as the wake goes, Huge is the only word I can think of. It is the perfect combination of steep and rampy and with the ballast only partially full, it was plenty big.

The red buttons are for the trim plate. The throttle does say Volvo Penta. The production models are now coming with the volvo 8.1 which has a ton of balls and gets up and out of the hole really quick, and man it sounds mean. The bow is so high in those pics because the front ballast was empty... they were testing out different configurations.

exhaust is different from centurions so they probably didn't run into problems with that.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-12-2005, 10:53 PM Reply   
What are the picutures of I couldn't see anything. Just some guys standing over water....... Oh wait it's camoflage, that's why I couldn't see it.

Sorry, boat envy kicking in again
Old     (praisinplaya)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-12-2005, 11:45 PM Reply   
any ideas on what that vinyl wrap cost? looks great...i saw pics of the boat when they picked it up when it was all white, the snow camo is awesome
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-13-2005, 12:10 AM Reply   
Looks great... I look forward to seeing them around our neck of the woods soon. The most important part is finding reputable dealers to support the poduct. I know that will be tough to get started out. I hope it happens for you. I really do.
I also agree with what mikeski said
"Too bad there was so much BS hype towards this product before it was actually a reality, I am somewhat jaded towards it. I think in some ways it's following in the footsteps of Sessions resulting from a few careless posts."
Like PraisinPlaya said I think another tower would look better on Epic.
I have a feeling this is only the begining and lots of good things to come for Epic... especially since chris is actually reading the positive and negative feedback that we have to say...
Why no pics of the wake from this day of riding??
Did hamjke? (kyle) buy one like he said he was going to?
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-13-2005, 6:07 AM Reply   
So, is it powered with a Volvo engine??? does it have two rudders???
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-13-2005, 8:12 AM Reply   
how if the exhaust different than Centurions?
Who is building the boat??

I don't see 2 rudders?

(Message edited by krbaugh on November 13, 2005)
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-13-2005, 10:46 AM Reply   
I don't know what chris wants out... but I will tell you that the exhaust is significantly different than centurions... superior I believe. Epic is in the process of finalizing a deal for a new tower, so it won't have the Titan on the next batch of boats. The boat is built by Epic Wake Boats, a guy by the name of Chris Anthony designed it... and he did quite a job!!!

I will post some pics of the wake later today
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-13-2005, 10:49 AM Reply   
Mr. Umali, would you like to share anything beyond pics? I know you rode behind it down in the saltwater Bay...any pulls since then?

As far as a few bad posts...let he who is without discussion board mistakes cast the first stone.

And yes, Chris said that the Volvo is a great engine and that they made him a deal he couldn't refuse. Oodles of torque.

That pic looks like two rudders to me too, but Chris was talking about a feature he calls Vector Steer, and I'm not sure what that consists of. His point is that when boats are run really heavy, they usually give up too much control for safety's sake. The Epic's steering system has so much bite that you maintain positive control at any weight/speed combo.
Old    ryan_bailey            11-13-2005, 10:50 AM Reply   
Side exhaust has been used for years. I had a Glastron Carlson with two side exhausts. It was a '72.

If you know anything about patents then you know a work around is usually pretty easy, just change one part or idea or even the wording. My sister is a patent lawyer.

Also it does appear that it has two rudders which has also been around for years. I have seen tons of jet boats and circle v-drives set up that way. I there is one at Bergerons here in Mesa as I type.

(Message edited by ryan_bailey on November 13, 2005)
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-13-2005, 10:50 AM Reply   
"exhaust is significantly different than centurions... superior I
believe."

You have no idea how it is different but you are sure that it is "superior I
believe" YA gotta love that kind of statement
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-13-2005, 10:53 AM Reply   
The idea behind sideswipe is not just side exhaust it is switchable side exhaust so you can keep the exhaust away from the wake surfer. Just having side exhaust in an wakeboard boat would be pointless.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-13-2005, 10:58 AM Reply   
I do see what looks like a second ruddder
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-13-2005, 12:01 PM Reply   
kevin...
If you read my post it said "I don't know what chris wants out... but I will tell you that the exhaust is significantly different than centurions... superior I believe"
To me that sounds like I don't want to disclose any info that chris doesn't want out. I do know the difference between Centurion and Epic and believe the Epic system is better. I just can't tell you about it
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-13-2005, 12:18 PM Reply   
"I don't know what chris wants out..." sorry did not catch the meaning behind that statement... did not remember the name chris.... I guess we will have to wait and see if Chris and you are right about the exhaust.....and a few other things

Who is building the boat?
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-13-2005, 3:24 PM Reply   
Twin Ruddders...sure looks like it. Rob Shirley finally got someone to bit on that idea. Seems like a TON of bow rise. The driver seems to be straining to look through or even over the windshield. That CAMO does look pretty cool. If it is gel or even paint not a EASY fix at all for any dock rash. The stern area looks very "NAUTIQUISH" That open bow area will take a while to grow on me...looks like a landing craft. The whole boat in general seems like alot of copied or modified ideas all wrapped into one. If it is a VOLVO PENTA drive system they make a awesome stern drive system. All in all unique in design. Hope it makes it not like the OLD Toyota Epics of the past.
Old     (agfan12)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-13-2005, 4:33 PM Reply   
TJK,
They said above that in the bow rise picture, only the rear ballast was full, and no front ballast, so that explains that.

(Message edited by agfan12 on November 13, 2005)
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-13-2005, 4:56 PM Reply   
Will there be an Epic touring all the boat shows this year or do we have to wait for dealers to start picking up the line?
Old     (kylet)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-13-2005, 6:54 PM Reply   
kinda looks like 3 rudders. and very nautique 211 226 ish on the back.
tower could be a bit better,
and although the bow is wierd, it does alleviate the problem if running into the dock and mashing the nose like happens soo often.
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-13-2005, 6:55 PM Reply   
the boat is being built in Canada
Old     (kylet)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-13-2005, 6:56 PM Reply   
oh, i also was thinking about the speakers on teh transom before i saw the pics. rode on a boat with tower speakers for the first time the other day and they become obnoxious when behind them in the boat. (not NVS ones just some kickers, but waay loud enough to hear)
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       11-13-2005, 7:42 PM Reply   
In one of the pictures it looks like the rear hatch does not have a "shock" or catch of some type to prevent stress to the hinge? If that is true I wonder what effect it will have on the hatch/hinge over time?
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-13-2005, 8:07 PM Reply   
Thanks for sharing such great pics Joe. They came out really nice for only having swung by us for a couple of minutes. We have to get you out when we have some ripN riders out for you to take pics of and you can hand the camera to Ant Bug to snap some of your double up fun as well.

This is a promo boat for DVS Shoes. I think the Camo looks great and the boat turned out awesome, but it is the first boat out of our factory in the great white north. The fit and finish will only get better and we are still playing around with many parts and such as we organize full scale manufacturing. It has been a LOOOOOONG road to this point. I urge you to read http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=296 if you want to catch up to the point where we had a prototype and were looking for a manufacturer. Since then it has been a hectic flurry of vendor negotiations, manufacturing plant reorganizations, trips to a great little town on Lake Okanagan, and much more sanding and parts prototyping. Things are going well but, of course, it takes a while to work out all the issues when attacking a project of this size.

We have introduced a couple of new things in this boat that aren't "OFFICIAL" yet but are great things to be testing. The Vector Steer system is a great piece of engineering that works great. It is a bit more than dual rudders, but sufficed to say it is a great way to steer these very light(when dry) yet heavily ballasted boats. Everyone has been very positive about it thus far. The side exhaust is very unique as well. It does every thing other systems do to keep fumes away from the surfer but it is full automatic and needs not attention from the driver to work. It also sounds very burly with that 8.1L Volvo. The Volvo is an nice addition as well. It has 510lbs of torque and run like a dream. It is a very nice package and we are excited to work with Volvo to bring their engines to the inboard market. There are also some other things up our sleeve for the production boats. A standard exhaust which is quite innovative (the side exhaust will be an option), some electrical improvements, a great new tower, a sweet new style of trailer, and some interior tweaks. I appreciate everyones feedback and support on this whole endeavour. As most of you know I am just a boarder who went a little crazy one day and decided to begin building something different to help the sport, and my personal skills. With extensive research, tons of manual labor and several overextended credit cards, I have made it to this point and am now starting to build my dream and put it out for all wake sports enthusiasts to enjoy. I am sorry if some feel that our boats are a over "hyped" aspiration. I have yet to start a post about my boats and do not wish to start. But I am happy to answer peoples questions and share the story of how this boat came to be. Obviously this boat is a BIG part of who I am, but I can stand back and take any criticisms or critiques anyone might have because the goal is to build a better wake and a more functional boat for all wake sports enthusiasts. Soooo, keep the comments coming :-)
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-13-2005, 8:18 PM Reply   
Where can I ride behind one in SoCal?? I would love the opportunity.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-13-2005, 8:54 PM Reply   
I find it really interesting that after so many years volvo has finally put a foot on the inboard market. Congratulations!
Old    kvanderg            11-13-2005, 9:27 PM Reply   
Chris,

Awesome lookin boat... looks like something the russians would have built.

Where exactly is the boat being built?

Are you going to be at the Calgary boat show?

What is the price point going to be for the boat with all the goodies (8.1L, V drive, stereo, big ballast, racks, lights, covers, heater, PP, wake plate, etc.)?

When and where can a guy water test in Canada?
Old     (centralcali)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-13-2005, 9:38 PM Reply   
Did anyone else notice that on tonights episode of "Pull", on the Fuel channel, that Grub was being pulled by an Epic in San Diego?

Chris-
I really admire you for what you are doing. Keep up the good work!
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-13-2005, 10:11 PM Reply   
wow built in Canada I wonder how much it will cost to ship one of those to Ca Fl TX Etc YIKES!
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-13-2005, 10:17 PM Reply   
joe, whats the story on taking pics of this getting on plane but none of the wake? I bet your holding out to add to the post later huh.....
Old     (twitch)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-13-2005, 10:27 PM Reply   
Chris

Edmonton boat show in the plans?

id love to see this boat in person too bad its WAY too cold for a water test around these parts
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-13-2005, 10:32 PM Reply   
mike, actually i only got 1 pic of the wake, and it didn't even come out well. i didn't get to ride behind it this time, but next time for sure, the wake will be the first pic i post. i'm actually doing real work right now, but i'll resize the pic i have and post next time i take a break.

this break = wsop on espn
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-14-2005, 3:31 AM Reply   
Chris we spotted you on Shasta a couple of weeks ago while we were out testing. The boat looked to be performing well. It is very loud though. We guessed it had a big block in it. Now that I see the side exhaust that explains it. Good luck on your venture.
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-14-2005, 5:48 AM Reply   
It looks like a very nice boat. I just can't see what makes it unique. It looks like another wakeboard boat to me. Now the Xstar and new X2 that's innovative. I mean you might not like it but at least they did something different. I'm not dissing the Epic boat at all. I just can't see how this boat will change wakeboarding forever.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-14-2005, 6:41 AM Reply   
I like the new x-2 alot, and would think about buying one but I'm sick of filling fat sacs. One great thing about this boat is you'd never fill another fat sac.
Why dosen't MC and CC make larger standard ballast???????????
Anyone buying a new x-2 will have to either plumb in more sacs or manually fill them each time out.
Old    ryan_bailey            11-14-2005, 7:01 AM Reply   
Who designed that hull? Why no strakes or transition? Is the boat stable in a turn, without the strakes? What levels the boat out, there is no transition or strakes? Do you have to run a huge prop or is it just the design to plow through the water? Most new boat co.'s start with a splash or modied splash, but this seems totally unique. I'm a little bit intrigued.

(Message edited by ryan_bailey on November 14, 2005)
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-14-2005, 7:18 AM Reply   
Speedy...I'm no hull designer but have spent a little time thinking about how them strakes work. Seems like getting rid of them would be one of the first things on my agenda, mainly for ride reasons. Every time that bow rises and falls to meet a wave, the lifting strakes would keep the boat from slicing cleanly through like a weanis-extension boat would. Our dreaded TOYOTAs (that's for you, TJK) were fashioned as ski boats and many of the measures that mfrs use to control slalom wake and hole shot (lifting strakes, spray pockets, etc.) have their drawbacks - rough water ride and of course speed come to mind.

Yeah, saw the Epic on Pull last night - wished we'd have seen the whole episode. The Epic looks BIG from the air. Also, didn't see any bow rise issues there, huh?
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-14-2005, 7:52 AM Reply   
Joe, cool. I thought you might have just been building some suspense......
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-14-2005, 7:52 AM Reply   
Actually, the point is to plow water if I remember correctly. The boat is designed to displace as much water as possible.

Eric
Old     (v220ls)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-14-2005, 9:36 AM Reply   
Sorry: tread hi-jack
Congrats to Chris Anthony, The Boat looks great from what I have Seen of it. I saw it on last nights episode of Pull in SoCal the wake looked pretty big and rampy in salt water!!
Not a fan of camo; but nice pic Joe keep them comming!!
my .02 G
Old    ryan_bailey            11-14-2005, 9:43 AM Reply   
What is the boat's beam?
Old     (v220ls)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-14-2005, 9:52 AM Reply   
I can see the backhoe comming to dig the hole for me; so I better fix it.
"nice pics Joe keep them comming!"

G
Old     (caffeineguy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       11-14-2005, 10:31 AM Reply   
Can someone tell me if that is truly a vinyl wrap? Or a camo paint job? I want to know how a vinyl wrap would hold up in wakeboarding or rough water conditions.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-14-2005, 10:53 AM Reply   
Cool camo job.
Old     (kylet)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-14-2005, 11:27 AM Reply   
i would imagine that the vynil would only really get messed up when hitting a dock or somehting hard. or possibly by the sun
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-14-2005, 12:13 PM Reply   
it's a wrap. The boat is all white under.

Chris ~ it's looking great!
Old    00wakesetter            11-15-2005, 1:26 PM Reply   
I sure would like to know where i could look at one in person or even catch a set behind one. Ever since i saw the first pic of one i have been intrested in one. I like all the things they have done with this boat like the transome speakers and the stock ballast.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-19-2005, 9:06 PM Reply   
Here are some more pics before the camo wrap.

Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       11-20-2005, 4:22 PM Reply   
How will this boat change wakeboarding forever? Well, I have no relation to Chris or this boat at all, never ridden behind it, only seen pix. This boat has something like 3k stock ballast? Would you ever need more? transom mounted speakers, shower, stereo control, boot lube. The hull is supposed to be designed to throw a superior wake from what I've read. Competition my friend, if this boat throws a wake as big as is stated and is competitive in price with MC, BU, SN etc then they will need to innovate more and come down in price some because the new MCs prices are out of control in my opinion, same with nautiques. Nautiques hulls have been around forever...
I don't know the price of the EPIC but if it can compete/beat the current boats then there will be even a greater migration of the industry towards building even larger wakes, more tricks, more air, more fun
I want one, time to start saving my pennies
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-20-2005, 11:29 PM Reply   
i believe the epic is 50k with most of the goodies included.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       11-21-2005, 6:21 AM Reply   
Mad child, Rumours are closer to 60k now everythings been ironed out... Options are pretty non-existant, the idea is that the stock boat should be pretty much ready to be the ultimate wake boat out the box.
I am pretty sure but Chris could you confirm this?
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-21-2005, 2:05 PM Reply   
As for the price... I believe it is going to be MSRP at $60k. As for options... in order to get the price down... Chris would have had to go to a smaller engine option.... and sacrifice on other options... then it wouldn't be the same boat...

As Brit Rider said...

This boat is designed to produce a world class wake without the fuss. It is simple... buy the boat... back it into the lake... and within 5 minutes... you will have one of... if not the biggest wake on the lake... and great sounding stereo....

Old     (lukewtwt)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-21-2005, 2:51 PM Reply   
So, at $60k, what is the appeal of this boat over say, a VLX or 22SSV or 220TE or X-30? Not trying to hate, as I like the epic, but it seems like the object was to have everything you want at a bargain price, and $60k isn't exactly a bargain. Any of the boats listed above would come in about the same comparably loaded with the advantage of being backed up by a company that has been around for a while.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       11-21-2005, 6:33 PM Reply   
Don't forget these boats are brand new to the market and they use building methods which cost more and are more advanced than any other builder on the wakeboat market...
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-21-2005, 7:38 PM Reply   
Luke if you price up a 23 foot boat with the 8.1 big block and option up the stereo etc etc the prices will be a lot higher than 60k.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-21-2005, 7:57 PM Reply   
I really like this boat, at first I thought it was a gimmick, but now I admit I'm sort of into it.
Now, I feel I have to say this, a 8.1 engine is excessive and unnecesary, a good boat can make a good wake out a 330hp engine, I wonder how much bigger the wake gets than a regular CC, BU or MC and how much more it will cost to ride this one.
why do you need 3000lbs of stock ballast??
A good wake comes out of a good hull, if this is the case you wouldnt need so much ballast and extra engine power.
Dont get me wrong, this might be an excellent boat, and I'm sure it is, but would it still be so great if an 8.1 and 3000lbs were common on every SAN, VLX or X-star????
I think your boating industry is kind of getting out of the line here.
Just my 2 cents.
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-21-2005, 10:07 PM Reply   
The SAN, VLX, and X-2 (old X-Star) are all 21 foot boats and need less weight (2000lbs or so) for the perfect wake. Any 23 foot boat is going to need 3000lbs to create a huge wake. Check out some posts about the Camo Malibu LSV with like 4000lbs in it. The wake is crazy big and needs the 8.1L engine. Rumor has it that Lyman puts like 4000+lbs in his Tige 24V. Typically the problem with 23 foot boats is the wake is large but rampy and wide. Some people like this, some don' all preference, but a 23 foot boat with stock ballast of 3000+lbs needs an 8.1L
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-21-2005, 10:13 PM Reply   
umm...I don't know why that post got edited. It should have read some don't. It is all
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       11-21-2005, 11:25 PM Reply   
Luciano, many people are putting 2500-3k in their boats, especially pros. Stock the boats come with maybe 1000lbs? I know the gravity games is what 2000lb or 1600lbs in the supras?
Anyways, point being, this is all built in weight. Most people run extra weight in lead and fat sacs to achieve the monster wakes we see today. This mans goal was to make the ultimate wake with all the ballast you'd ever need built in at a flip of a switch. Im guessing the wake is acceptable without weight but for those who want it huge, 3000+ is at your discretion...
Old    fiberglassman            11-22-2005, 6:56 AM Reply   
This is starting to make me laugh. Some kid gets together with his dad who has made some racing kayaks and builds a boat. He then says it is built stronger than any other boat on the market and that his ideas are unique. He then spreads through the grapevine that he is going to charge $60K for his boat.

I would like to know how many boats he has cut in half to see how they were made or what other research he has done to make the strongest boat claim. He read some books, got some software and raided his trust fund. I'll be impressed if he sells a dozen boats.

Hell, Toyota couldn't make it selling boats and he thinks he can.

He should stick to building Glen-L's.

You don't need an 8.1 to move around that boat, you need a transmission or VPP. Get a clue and give us a freaking break. No one in there right mind is going to spend $60K on this guys senior class project/death trap.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-22-2005, 7:09 AM Reply   
Duane/Ryan, wouldnt it be better to have a 21 foot boat with an 8.1 engine and 4000lbs??? it would sink easier if that was the case.
my point is, this boat with so much power and son much ballast might not create a bigger wake than a regular 21 footer with half the weight on it. And I still wonder fuel consumption on this one should be a killer
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-22-2005, 7:28 AM Reply   
Luciano, this has been covered before. On boats less then 23 ft they must be coast guard approved and will have a weight limit on how much ballast can be added. On boats 23feet and over there is no requirement for Coast Guard approval. Therefore, if he makes a 23foot boat he can put 10000lbs of ballast in it, under 23 feet and he will probably be limited to 900lbs.
Old    bocephus            11-22-2005, 7:45 AM Reply   
That's not true Leo, none of the MB's are coast guard approved, including my old '03 MB Sports 190 Plus which is 20'3". Also explain how an MB Sports B-52 V3 Team Edition can have 2100 pounds of ballast and it is only 22' long.

Thanks,

Bocephus
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-22-2005, 8:27 AM Reply   
Well I dont know then. I read that boats 22****feet and under had to be Coast Guard approved. I put 23 in my previous post. But the fact that your 190 wasn't leaves me wondering. In that case, I don't know.