Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old    alanp            09-29-2005, 3:08 PM Reply   
hey i was riding behind one of these a couple of weeks ago. the ballast was full and the plate down and the wake wasnt very good at all. for comparison my p/s 190 with 2k lbs throws a MUCH better wake. it isnt my boat but i was wondering how much weight was needed to get a rideable wake.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-29-2005, 3:16 PM Reply   
i hear the contrary from many owners...
Old     (damned04)      Join Date: May 2005       09-29-2005, 3:34 PM Reply   
My neighbor has one, we put around 2120 in it with people included and the wake was around almost knee high and alot steeper than my X-2. Too steep in my opinion.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-29-2005, 3:41 PM Reply   
Alan, I'll get bashed for this too, but I think the LSV needs more weight than stock to be good. I used to ride behind a ps 190 and I liked it better as well. LSV is also rounder than the ps. my theory is your going to adjust your style to whatever your used to riding behind.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-29-2005, 3:46 PM Reply   
I have to disagree - I have an 05 LSV (same hull) and the stock ballast (1250lbs) with the wedge and only the driver in the boat produces a very ridable wake. Not to mention it's not a very "level" comparison you're doing there - it's kind of tough to compare a PS190 with a 23' LSV.

With 2-3 people and a 600lb sac on the floor, the wake is really awesome. I've added to that a 350lb sac in the walkway and the wake was almost scary.
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-29-2005, 4:18 PM Reply   
I am not for sure but I believe he is talking about a Moomba LSV not a the 23ft Malibu. If you notice in the first post it refers to a wakeplate which moomba has.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-29-2005, 4:53 PM Reply   
^^^or it could be the wedge plate.

could be a moomba, not sure. i think that'll help the discussion.
Old    alanp            09-29-2005, 5:47 PM Reply   
no im referring to the malibu 23' sorry for the confusion. i have ridden on one loaded down and i thought it was really nice but it was loaded. the one i rode the other day had no additional ballast other than the stock ballast and wedge which i rode with up and down to try to make it rideable.
Old    alanp            09-29-2005, 5:50 PM Reply   
i guess i was expecting a little more from a stock boat. i rode a stock SAN and that was huge.
Old     (badknees)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-29-2005, 7:15 PM Reply   
A few questions: Was fuel tank full? How many peeps in boat? With the 04 I've found when filling bow ballast at first will overflow thinking full, but after bringing boat up to wakeboard speed then idling it get's an air bubble out of bow ballast enabling more ballast. It does make a difference. In 05 malibu seems to have fixed that glitch by having separate mid and bow ballast.
Every boat has it's own characteristic's from each other, even in same models.
I've personally found an extra 600lbs in boat (200 a side in stern, 200 just forward of midship, at least half a tank of fuel), and 2-5 people in boat give a very happy rider. Nobody has left disappointed. Only on occasion have we been using wedge. It doesn't really create bigger, but a rather steeper wake. Surfing with wedge creates a great surf wake. Being a 23 foot boat with a 100 inch beam takes alot of weight to displace the water for a kill wake, but you have room for lots of friends. Hopefully most everyone here would agree most everybody tweeks their boat's somehow to reach what their looking for.
Old     (badknees)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-29-2005, 7:22 PM Reply   
Alan, by the way I've owned 96 and 98 prostar's and the wake really didn't come close even with lots and lots of weight. Not bashing just confused with your claim. Also not trying to protect BU for I am very fond of MC as well. Maybe it was the width of the Bu wake that may have made wake look or seem smaller.
Old    spinwkbrdr            09-29-2005, 10:12 PM Reply   
2000lbs+small boat doesnt equal 1250lbs+big boat
Old     (hyrific)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-29-2005, 10:40 PM Reply   
I have something to say about this. First off this whole wake quality thing is crap for a few reasons. Not to many of us in here are even good enough on the boards to make a decision on how good a wake is or not is. second you'll get all kinds of opinons on this boat or that boat's wake and they will all be different. Witch I guess means there all crap and can't be trusted. one thing for certain is that most any boat including the dreaded I/O can through a wake good enough for 90% of you people. Second is if the stock wake isn't good enough for you just add weight how difficult is that anyway. You can add weight to a 85 mastercraft and get a decent wake if you want to. Finally compare a 21 with a 21 if you want to get any kind of reponse that makes sense.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-29-2005, 10:47 PM Reply   
I rode a 04 LSV with stock, wedge + 500 in the walk through and it was awesome. Those boats can take a lot of weight and it just gets better. I've ridden a Slammed 190 also and it wasn't even in the same league.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-29-2005, 10:48 PM Reply   
WORD
Old     (jaubrey)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-30-2005, 9:02 AM Reply   
Who rides with stock ballast anyway? Every boat needs a little more, and yes Ive ridden every boat minus moomba and tige. Pros don't think stock ballast is adequate and nor do I
Old     (bobby_b)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-30-2005, 10:10 AM Reply   
J-Rod, Spoken like a true man. You are probably the most stand up guy on this forum. How many M/C owners are there out there that would dispute this thread like you did? Not many. Hats off to you.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-30-2005, 10:41 AM Reply   
Oh yeah...I forgot! I own a MC now! Hey forget what I said before! hahah

Thanks Bobby.

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-30-2005, 12:46 PM Reply   
Jeremiah hit it on the head. You aren't comparing apples to apples. The LSV is a much bigger boat and will take that much more weight to get a better wake.

We've found that with stock ballast, the wedge, and 4-5 people the wake is really nice. If you only have 1-2 people then the wake definitely seems small. I usually only add 400 lbs. to the walkway and that produces a great wake which is plenty to do anything you want on.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-30-2005, 1:27 PM Reply   
I was on that boat with J-Rod and the wake was absolutely sick. We've ridden that boat without the additional 500 on occasion, too, but we had more people. Maybe something was wrong, or the ballast wasn't all the way filled.

I've never seen another boat (mmmm, maybe excepting the new X-start with a ton of weight) that moves the water that the LSV's do. The wake is big, meaty and still has a killer lip. To top if off it is pretty wide, so you can really charge and go wake to wake.

Hate to say it, but there are even times I miss J-Rod's old boat. That thing was bad.
Old    alanp            10-01-2005, 11:03 AM Reply   
this thread wasnt meant to be a comparison btwn mc vs bu. rather, i just wanted to know how much weight i should recommend the owner of the boat add. but id take my ps 190 wake over the STOCK lsv wake any day. please read that last sentence closely before jumping down my throat.

jared the owner is relatively new to the sport alas no additional ballast.

hyrum btw you cant add enough weight to a 85 190 to get a decent wake. i owned an 86 and with about 4 inches of rub rail above the water line the wake still sucked.

i have ridden a loaded(dont know how much ballast) lsv and that wake was sick.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-01-2005, 4:49 PM Reply   
evan you said it best, starting with wide and a ramp is key imo. The san is steep and narrow to start, and even though you can shape it a little bit by adding front weight its always a narrow, hit the flats everytime wake. My knees are too old for that.

www.wakecoupons.com