Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-22-2005, 8:04 PM Reply   
Found some interesting "cans" for the tower. www.audioformz.com has anyone used their stuff. Seems very nice and the price is great.They line the cans with dynamat and polyfill and do custom colors ect.. Hope to hear if anyone has owned them. Fiberglass enclosures are used in car audio everywhere and custom tower boxes ect.. so it seems to me it would be fine. Input please.
Old    chris_hargis            08-22-2005, 8:34 PM Reply   
Yep, I have them on my Mobius now.

I painted them to match the boat colors myself. The clamps are nice, but I do wish they would have put the connections on the bottom instead of on top. No problems with them though. I have Infinity Reference speakers in them and they sound great.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-22-2005, 8:57 PM Reply   
Nice lookin' set up Chris! What do u mean by on bottom vs. on top? Seems like u would want the wires to connect near the tower so as little wire as possible is exposed? Clarify. Also do u think the construction quality is good,rugged enough?
Old    swass            08-23-2005, 7:24 AM Reply   
I have an AudioFormz sub enclosure. If the cans are anything like it, you'll be quite happy with the quality.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-23-2005, 6:21 PM Reply   
Swass, How long you had it and how do they figure the exact internal space for individual woofers.I know I have heard some boxes w/ JL's that did not sound great but my buddy who owns the stereo shop has a great rep for building boxes that hammner. He is very exacting on the air space needed for each individual woofer. So I would think that the internal area would have to be considered. Do they make up for various space issues by adding or subtracting polyfil? Or what woofer did u use and why?
Old    chris_hargis            08-23-2005, 7:08 PM Reply   
Brian, when yuo mount them up there like they are, the wire connections are on the top of the enclosure. To me, that just exposes them to rain. I was thinking they should be on the bottom to keep that from happening. The quality seems to be pretty good to me. Of course I moved up from PVC cans, so they are way better than that. I am very pleased with them.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-23-2005, 7:28 PM Reply   
Good to hear. I think the connectors should be on top from an appeal aspect. I know they are sealed so as not to let any moisture thru ect... so it should not be a problem. Spoke to Ronnie at A Formz today and I'm ordering 2 sets to try out. Were you impressed with the dynamat and polyfil in the cans? Now the hard part is to decide which speakers to use. My friend sells alot of Memphis stuff and it has held up well to alot of abuse but I really like the Polk speakers as well. Sound about the same but the Polks look slicker.

(Message edited by silverlude on August 23, 2005)
Old    swass            08-24-2005, 7:32 AM Reply   
Ronnie is great to deal with. I'd suggest asking him the questions you asked me. I'm stereo illiterate. The sub enclosures don't have any fill material. At least they didn't when I bought mine a few years ago. I'm using an 8" RF Punch. Why? It was cheap and it matched the specs of the enclosure (I purchased the enclosure before the sub). I had to go 8" because that's the biggest I could fit where I wanted to put it.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-24-2005, 2:50 PM Reply   
Thanks for input. Your right, Ronnie is great to deal with. Ordered some tower enclosures today. He is very up on specs ect... No bull. I am using Memphis marine line speakers in them and they should sound excellent. Good ridin' to ya.