Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       02-11-2005, 3:37 PM Reply   
I think I'm sold on these, but I need to know if the 75150A will work ok for two batteries and the stock Malibu alternator.

Thanks
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-11-2005, 4:18 PM Reply   
John,

I'm sold on them too, and will be ordering one up later this spring. I have found them to be very responsive to my emails. They seem to be constantly upgrading their products.
I have had a couple of different RV's with systems in them, and found the standard RV supply store isolators to be pretty much junk.
I wish I had known about these units before.
If you get the part # off of your alternator, or can tell them whether it is delcotron 1 wire, etc. they will be able to point you in the right direction.
Regarding your alternator.
There is a ton of info on here and on the net about alternators. The following is just my experience.
I live in a small town that has one shop that does nothing but rebuild electric motors, alternators, etc. They've been in business for over 35 years, and seem to know what they are doing.
The advice I got from them has paid off, and I got to where the tuned up version (85 amp) of the 65 amp GM one-wire lasted for 3 years, and was going strong when I sold it. The 65 amp HD GM was lasting about 6 months.
Brad said, "Charge the DA$# house batteries at home and get them full. Don't depend on that little alternator to bring 4 golf cart batteries and a group 31 Optima up to full charge. It will, but it will destroy itself after two or three times."
I did what he said, and it worked. Maxed the charge out on the batteries at home before a trip, ran the generator on the coach to keep them up while camping, and never replaced another alternator. (Changing one of those out on a class A motorhome with a 454 on the side of Hwy. 50 between Austin and Ely Nevada in the middle of July is not fun. Lesson learned) and will do the same after I get my mild system in the boat.

(Message edited by sam8 on February 11, 2005)
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       02-11-2005, 4:28 PM Reply   
I'll do that. Thanks Sam.
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-11-2005, 6:58 PM Reply   
A.D.- Im running one of those rv type isolators in my boat. just recently upgraded stereo. what is it about those type that make them "junk"? need to know before it leaves me stranded floating down the river...thanx
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-11-2005, 11:27 PM Reply   
Paul,

I don't know if it will leave you stranded, but when charging more than one deep cycle battery, the two I tried both failed. No charging current made it through the unit to the battery(s)
I believe the diodes in them are not capable of sustained, repeated high amp recharge loads on multiple batteries when you fire up the engine after after a few hours of high-amp drain.
They are 35-50 buck units, which would probably be okay on your average rent-a-coach rig with two bats and a couple of hours running 12v 1157 bulbs to play cards by, but after the stereo and a hour or two running the TV and DVD player, they die.
The two I tried got warm enough to discolor the aluminium heat sink on the body of the unit, and begin to melt the heat shrink tubing on the 8 gauge fuel resistant primary wire coming from the alternator.
Again, this is just my opinion based upon my experience. You may find otherwise, your mileage may vary, etc....
This is why I am going to the Hellroaring unit.
I'm just tired of playing the cheapo game, been there, done that, bought the tee shirt, ya know..