Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-04-2005, 8:11 AM Reply   
Malibu add on the first couple of pages...
"Wakesetter LSV More Stock Ballast that any boat ever built. With 1,250 pounds of ballast..."

Flip a few pages, and there's an MB Sports ad..
"The new 23V 2,500 lbs. Stock Ballast"

Did I miss something, or is 2,500 less than 1,250?
Old    air_sv211            02-04-2005, 8:33 AM Reply   
Maybe Malibu doesn't consider MB to be a boat.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-04-2005, 8:44 AM Reply   
Maketing...don't believe everything you read. Read the fine print and it probably says any boat to be any boat that weighs from "x" lbs to "x" Lbs with a tower "x" inches high, hard ballast tanks measuring X inches wide....hope you see whare I'm going with this.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-04-2005, 8:53 AM Reply   
Nope, no fine print in the add whatsoever.

Plus, the line "than any boat ever built" seems to cover pretty much everything.

I guess maybe MB is really more of a very large pwc that happens to seat a lot of people.
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-04-2005, 9:52 AM Reply   
Lets form a class action lawsuit against Malibu for false advertising and get us all new boats!
Old    wickedwake            02-04-2005, 10:19 AM Reply   
"Lets form a class action lawsuit against Malibu for false advertising and get us all new boats!"

Im down, Where do I sign up??
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       02-04-2005, 11:00 AM Reply   
Oil tankers have the most ballast I think.
Old    powerstroke            02-05-2005, 12:18 PM Reply   
the air craft carrier i was on had alot also.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-08-2005, 4:12 PM Reply   
from Malibu. Say what you will about the wedge, but I still find this to be a false statement..."The Malibu stock hard tank ballast of 1250 pounds which does not include the Wedge, which will raise the ballast capacity to 2250 in the Wakesetter LSV."

Hello Tom, thank you for writing in and allowing Malibu Boats to assist you. The boat specifications of our boats were submitted to Waterski-Magazine before information on the new MB was introduced. This MB model was brought after our brochure was already written which is where it originally stated "More stock ballast than any boat ever built" The information was given to Waterski magazine back in July- August of last year, the Malibu Brochure is written well before our model year begins which is July 1st. The Malibu stock hard tank ballast of 1250 pounds which does not include the Wedge, which will raise the ballast capacity to 2250 in the Wakesetter LSV. If you have any questions, please contact me at (209) xxx-xxxx or respond to this message. Thank you for your time and question.

Mike Sxxxxx

Malibu Boats

Customer Service

XXXX@malibuboats.com

Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-09-2005, 12:24 PM Reply   
Brochure may be written, but i doubt that the lead time on the current ads is July-August of last year! At least not to come up with new wording on existing ad pics.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-09-2005, 12:37 PM Reply   
A little off subject, but is anyone else really disappointed with the Mag lately? Crappy writing, and too many adds. They should do some product reviews or something. I don't need some 20 year old to tell me how to park my boat.
Old    jzwake            02-09-2005, 12:46 PM Reply   
Paul, yes that is off topic and I hate being on topic so:

Yes, The mag has been poor lately, but IMO so has Alliance. one problem I see with WBM now is the instructional part. After One month of the 05 instructional I am worried every thing in it will be taken right out of the book DVD since its the same Instructors (like the whole new mag's instructional). So since I bought the DVD set I will never again see anything "new" in instruction section.

Parking the boat was horrible. It shows that material may be getting thin.

Old     (greygoose)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-09-2005, 12:47 PM Reply   
How does the wedge add ballast capacity? Wake size is directly proportional to weight displacement. If the boat weighs 3500 lbs, then you will displace 3500 lbs of water with the hull design dictating the basic shape of the wake. The wedge "sucks" the boat lower in the water - no weight has been added... Weight and good hull design are what make a great wake. Hull designs are somewhat unique to each boat manufacturer and weight is dictated by how much weight we want to put into the boat.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-09-2005, 2:30 PM Reply   
The Wedge doesn't add "ballast capacity," but it does pull the hull of the boat deeper into the water simulating the addition of weight. I believe that malibu estimates that the pull down effect of the Wedge is approximately equal to adding 1000 pounds of water weight.

What would be cool would be an adjustable Wedge so that you could set the angle steeper for a bigger wake or shallower for a smaller wake. I'm sure the way the hull interacts with the water at these different angles may have an effect on my simplified idea, but it's a thought.
Old    extrememarine            02-11-2005, 6:26 AM Reply   
Sounds like the guys at Malibu are pulling your leg. We advertise in wakeboarding mag and you can change text in your ad a month before the issue comes out. They may have made brochures at that time but they could change the ad.