Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-26-2005, 9:06 PM Reply   
i like the look of teak but the no maintanance is a very nice idea also. i want your opinions...

nicely oiled

or thanks to rick some pics of the line x deck

Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-26-2005, 9:40 PM Reply   
Ty-what is the line x deck. This is the first I have heard about it. I think it looks pretty good personally. I also like the look of teak but in my experience they can get very slick! My wife took a good fall last year stepping down onto the teak.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-26-2005, 10:31 PM Reply   
Why not use your teak platform as a pattern and cut a piece of flooring to cover? Then you will have both available. You can also cover it with gator grip as lots of others have done.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-27-2005, 6:16 AM Reply   
line x is a truck liner like rhino lining.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-27-2005, 9:09 AM Reply   
Ty,

I had the deck lined on my previous boat. I loved it! The teak is good looking, but I have very limited time to take care of it so I preferred the lined platform. I thought it had just the right combination of grip, not too much, not too slick.

My new boat came with a fiberglass platform - It's very slippery in the areas where the pad doesn't cover. I'm still not sure what to think if I like it better or not.

How do the Evids sound?
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-27-2005, 9:44 AM Reply   
Is it a cover on the original teak? Or do you remove the teak and just add this on? Whats the cost?
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-27-2005, 11:23 AM Reply   
Thats my deck above. It is the factory teak deck that I had sprayed with Line-X truck bed coating at local shop for $150 last summer. I did it because mine looked like crap from scratches in the wood from my labrador. She jumps in and actually can climb back on the deck herself, even whith her toe nails ground down with a Dremel she still left scratch marks. With the linig there are no scratches as it is rock hard & about 1/8 " thick. It was sprayed on both side hanging up with the bolts for the platform brackets screwed into it and covered with tape. It is not slippery and I will never do any maintaince again. The white marks in the photo were from a bathroom carpet mat I left to dry after riding and the rubber backing stuck when it dried. After I took the photo I used a stiff brush and it came right off. Money well spent for my application.

Rick
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-27-2005, 11:28 AM Reply   
hey larry. hw are you. i am installing the evids this weekend. i got a 500 watt amp to run them.

thanks for letting me hijack your pics rick
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-27-2005, 11:30 AM Reply   
longevity of the liner after a couple years on the wood?
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-28-2005, 12:27 PM Reply   
In my opinion if you don't have the time to care for your teak platform, then you don't have time to take care of your boat either...

or

Sand your teak platform down and stain it with deck protectant. It lasts all year, very durable and looks like a freshly teaked platform all the time!
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-28-2005, 12:36 PM Reply   
It's just that I don't have time to take care of my boat AND platform.

I had the lined platform for two and a half years. It had no chips or peeling or anything. Like I said above, teak looks a little nicer to me, but the maintenance issues make the other a better fit for me.
Old    hundo            01-28-2005, 1:03 PM Reply   
That linex should be pretty hot this summer
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       01-28-2005, 1:36 PM Reply   
Sounds like the same concept as a fiberglass deck. Great for low maintenance, but tough on the knees when getting in and out of the boat. PLUS- the girls hate it, because it scuffs their bikini bottoms when they sit on it. I can also imagine this deck getting hot in the summer.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-28-2005, 10:44 PM Reply   
rick and tall tige and anyone else, is it hard on the knees and hard on the girls bathing suits? I am not worried for me but for the kids and the wife...

thanks
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-29-2005, 11:07 AM Reply   
No one ever complained it was too rough for bare skin. I think it had just the perfect combination of slip and grip.

It did get pretty hot. The pad on my fiberglass gets super hot too. Fortunately, 98%+ of my time on the deck is when its wet.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-29-2005, 2:08 PM Reply   
From what I've seen, Line-X is one of the harder and more slippery bedliners, is it not? IIRC, Rhino Lining was more rubbery and slip-resistant. Wouldn't that be better for a swim platform application? They also do different colors, I think.
Old     (jansen)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-29-2005, 3:58 PM Reply   
My last two boats have had fiberglass deck with rubber on them. Some sort of no skid is the way to go IMO. I have spent alot of time with teak, and they are slippery. I say spray it!
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-29-2005, 6:16 PM Reply   
thanks guys. i am going to do it. the line x guy told me 75.00 also as long as i take off the hardware.
Old    penny4urthots            02-04-2005, 12:08 AM Reply   
Ty-

I saw it at the boat show in Pleasanton on Tuesday... Looks good, just would suggest maybe trying a thin rubber layer on top of deck before you spray. It may add a bit of spongey feel to it. That would be good on the knees, etc. Good luck and bring the finished product by the shop when your're done I want to post it on our site or something.

-Linc
Old    extrememarine            02-04-2005, 5:06 AM Reply   
Hve you ever thought of getting a powder coated aluminum swim platform. Give it wash every once in a while and it looks brand new.
Old     (jansen)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-04-2005, 12:40 PM Reply   
Nick, do you have any pictures of that?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-04-2005, 2:10 PM Reply   
Chris , go to Nick's website.....they'll look just like the baja platforms. Good idea, but how well will they hold up against all the scrathes and dings from normal use?
Old    extrememarine            02-11-2005, 6:47 AM Reply   
They are the ones on Baja boat. We manufacture them for them. The powdercoat is pretty durrable and our customer love them because they can custom match the colors to their towers. On ski boats we try and use your original stainless steel brackets and build just a top section keeps the price down.
[img]http://www.xmpinc.com/Images/Platforms/Swim_Platform_Baja_Outlaw_1.jpg[img/]

check out more photos here [url]www.xmpinc.com[url/]