Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old                11-28-2004, 11:11 PM Reply   
I am about to jump on a plane and fly up north from Orlando for school break. I had intended on bringing my Mini-DV Cam. I've got a soft case for it that is pretty durable, but I still don't feel right putting it in checked baggage. I'd rather carry it on with me? Is this possible? In terms of the film on the Mini-DV tapes?? Will that X-Ray Machine hurt the film or the cam?? What if I do check the film? Will it be OK? Sorry for my ignorance on the subject, but I figured someone here would know better than I.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-29-2004, 1:12 AM Reply   
I always keep mine in my carry-on bag and no, the xray won't hurt the video tape. The only risk in a checked bag is that it could be stolen but the odds are low.
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-29-2004, 7:51 AM Reply   
You could always have them hand-check the tapes.
I used to keep faster film (ISO 800+) in a seperate pouch in my camera bag. I would ask that they would inspect that by hand, and the camera would go in the x-ray. I never had trouble doing that.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-30-2004, 12:10 AM Reply   
Just to reinforce what Bill said....

"but I still don't feel right putting it in checked baggage" - Good, Bill is right... never, never ever check you camera in your checked baggage!

"I'd rather carry it on with me?" - Yes

"Is this possible?" - Yes

"Will that X-Ray Machine hurt the film or the cam??" - No

You only need to hand check 35mm film, not video tapes...