Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old     (duvy)      Join Date: May 2002       07-17-2004, 6:41 PM Reply   
I'm currently in the market for a new ride. Right now I have a Cobalt (20 footer) and we are looking at Malibu (23 XTI and VLX), Cobalt (240 and 220), and Mastercraft (X10). Any thoughts on these choices? We need a boat that throws a nice wake but is smooth in the rough water. Usually our lake is rough from 12-5 and we like to stay all day! Thank's for your input!
Old     (98_searay)      Join Date: May 2004       07-17-2004, 7:08 PM Reply   
i would go with the malibu 23 XTI
-alex-
Old     (dmkhnr)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-18-2004, 7:29 AM Reply   
Didn't Cobalt once make a comp boat? I seem to remember seeing one in the showroom, but it was 4 or 5 years ago.
The comp boats have gotten alot smoother in the rough water over the last few years, but its still going to feel like a beating compared to a deep V sterndrive.
DK
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-19-2004, 5:30 AM Reply   
One of the better rough water boats good for wakeboarding is the Gekko 6.7 or 7.1. In reviews they are praised for rough water handling.

Let me know if you want info.

rider@boarditup.com
Old     (evil_e)      Join Date: May 2004       07-19-2004, 9:10 AM Reply   
If you're into wakeboarding and if you're on this board I'm assuming you are, I'd stay away from the Cobalt. They make beautiful boats and some of them even have wakeboard applications (towers...) but if you're really into wakeboarding you oughta stick to a true wakeboarding boat. The 23 XTI is a great wakeboarding boat but I don't particularly like the deck configuration...the driver and observer seat are so seperate from the rear seats. My vote would be the VLX, honestly a perfect all around wakeboard boat that's priced appropriately. The X-10 is nice too, no complaints there. You should go and check the boats out for yourself and see what suits your needs best. Then give your 2 favorites a test drive to see which one you like better in the water...that's where it counts.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-19-2004, 12:04 PM Reply   
My good friend has a 226 Cobalt. It throws a nice wake actually. It is smooth and rampy (not good if you want a very steep wake). I personally like the rampy. It handles rough water better than any inboard I've been in. The main disadvantage is that it has no perfect pass and is extremely difficult to hold the same speed. We've never weighted it down to see if that adjusts the wake, but I bet it could get more steep if you weighted it right.

I'm sure that if the water is so rough that one of the bigger wakeboard boats is not good enough, then you're likely not to be doing anything else either. You could also check out the Tige 24V for the price you are looking at. It is roomier than any of the others you are looking at.

Evel E hit the nail on the head though. You need to sit in a few, pick your favorites and then go with your heart after a couple of test drives.
Old     (duvy)      Join Date: May 2002       07-20-2004, 1:39 PM Reply   
Thanks for all of the info! I'm going to ride behind a 23LSV next week and a fully loaded Cobalt 240 on Sunday. I haven't made a trip to the Tige' dealer yet but I will at least take a look! The rough water ride is an important factor in my decision, but right now I'm leaning towards the LSV. I was real impressed with the fit and finish of the Malibu and the quality seems to be there. The local service department seems to be stong as well, which we all know is a big plus! Anyway, stay tuned and thanks again for the info!
Old     (goodtime)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-20-2004, 5:38 PM Reply   
Sanger V230, just take a look at the boat and the price tag..cheers